Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations welcomed for new 24 fret guitars that don't suck!

Default Re: Recommendations welcomed for new 24 fret guitars that don't suck!

I'm an old Carvin/Kiesel fan from way back if ya gotta have two octaves under your fingers. But I also have an old '71 Ibanez Musician that still kicks some serious buttocks.
    "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Quote Originally Posted by ehdwuld View Post
    Still think Ibanez is the way to go
    Ibanez Prestige guitars are great, I just can't handle the new Super Wizard neck, 17mm (0.67") thick and super flat just don't work for me, I like wrapping my thump around and grabbing chords quite a bit. I like thin necks and have played many, many Ibzs over the years, but those have just crossed a "thin" line for me. They are very well made, sound great, and the Edge is awesome, so if the neck works for you, a Prestige is hard to beat.

The older MIJ RGs and JEMs are still awesome though, and the necks are more comfortable to me. I can't comment on the MIK or MII Ibzs, never owned one, I'd rather find a used MIJ.
    Last edited by devastone; 05-17-2019 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by devastone View Post
    Ibanez Prestige guitars are great, I just can't handle the new Super Wizard neck, 17mm (0.67") thick and super flat just don't work for me, I like wrapping my thump around and grabbing chords quite a bit. I like thin necks and have played many, many Ibzs over the years, but those have just crossed a "thin" line for me. They are very well made, sound great, and the Edge is awesome, so if the neck works for you, a Prestige is hard to beat.

The older MIJ RGs and JEMs are still awesome though, and the necks are more comfortable to me. I can't comment on the MIK or MII Ibzs, never owned one, I'd rather find a used MIJ.
    My Prestige has, I believe the regular Wizard neck. 19mm(?) at the nut. Itís really comfy.
    The super wizard or whatever itís called is too flat, as you stated.

Wow, what Prestige do you have, must be a bit older, I think the RG655 I had was from 2015(?). A couple of mm would be nice, my main guitar for years was the RB JEM in my avatar and I loved that neck.

Both my RGs have the Wizard II necks
    19mm at the 1st fret

It is almost identical to the Epiphone neck on my Florentine
    The Ibanez has a flatter fretboard and that flat scoop on the back of the neck

But size and feel are almost the same
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

A 24 fret Jackson King V is the way to go...the ultimate shredding machine.

;>)/
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by devastone View Post
    Wow, what Prestige do you have, must be a bit older, I think the RG655 I had was from 2015(?). A couple of mm would be nice, my main guitar for years was the RB JEM in my avatar and I loved that neck.
    Iíll double check later but I ďthinkĒ itís a 2005...

Quote Originally Posted by ehdwuld View Post
    Both my RGs have the Wizard II necks
    19mm at the 1st fret
    The Wizard II wasn't on the MIJ models.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    Iíll double check later but I ďthinkĒ itís a 2005...
    Just checked the serial #.
    It was built in May of 2007 in FugjiGen Gakki factory, Nagano Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    My first good guitar (purchased in '82) was a 24 frets. It does not suck !

I am currently transcribing violin concertos for electric guitar so I will definitely not team with those who complain about the 24 frets for tonal issues (especially if they play their leads with the bridge pickup (Do not take this bad I also play these pieces on some 21 frets guitars and that then requires a 3 half tones bends on the 21st fret. This does not make it easier.

Here is my only 24 fret guitar (currently tuned to the Nashville Tuning - It plays to intro to PF" Hey You") :

ARIA PRO II - RS-X80 (Sept 1981 - Matsumoku) designed by H. Noble-san and inspired by Alembic :

Attachment 98325Attachment 98326
    Speaking of 21 frets do you ever notice how high Yngwie J. Malmsteen bends the high E string on the 21st fret...easily up 3 steps to a 24th fretted note. I read somewhere that he uses a 7 guage high E string which would explain how he can bend so easily that high and I think his guitar is tuned down to an Eb making the tension of the strings just that bit looser. And having a scalloped fret board sure helps with bending. BTW...your Aria Pro II guitar sure is a very fine looking guitar.

;>)/
    Last edited by RorySquier; 05-17-2019 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Easy I have a 2017 Kiesel DC that is my #1. Own 15 other guitars play this one by far the most.
    24 fret neck 25 scale thin profile option 14 radius Jumbo SS frets ebony board maple neck alder body.
    Guitar is absolute perfection in fit and finish, plays like butter, sounds amazing, sustains for days and stays in tune!
    Would be right around $1800 to build today and is worth every last penny!!
    Attachment 98320
    I'll have to say that guitar is like a freaking Ferrari...vroom vroom! That is a beautiful colour of red with the gold hardware that makes it more desirable...Diablo Red REDDY for church service. Stainless steel frets are supposed to be the new in thing for guitars and that's a bonus with yours. And I really love the ebony fretboard and flat radius for easy shredding by the looks of it. That guitar looks stunning in the picture...I bet it's even more in real life! Is that guitar a neck-thru body construction?

;>)/
    Last edited by RorySquier; 05-17-2019 at 07:24 PM.

In recent memory, the PRS SE Custom 24, and the Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder.

I picked up a used PRS SE Custom 24 a few years back. I'd never had or tried any PRS (SE or Core) before this one.
    I primarily played Fenders since the early 80's and like the Strat like body shape and Tele like controls.
    Whammy bar that works well, stays in tune, nice wood for an inexpensive guitar. At first I didn't care for the wide/thin neck,
    but has kind of grown on me. I wasn't crazy about the pretty hot humbuckers, but threw a pair of Seymour Duncan Seth Lover pickups
    on it, and now it's my go to guitar.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151017_155158.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	98462

At last the PRS Custom 24 has appeared in this thread !

If I needed a 24 frets now, I suppose I would try to get a second hand Cu 24 or SE Cu 24.
    Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Ultimate Tone Slacker zionstrat's Avatar

Sold my ce24 because I could never get the neck pup to sound normal... Not unusual considering the fretboard is where the front pup usually lives.

On the other side, the ancient Gibson L6s is a very undervalued 24fr and we used to mod them before they became rarebirds.. great platform for a do everything guitar and although we replaced neck pups we never had problems with neck pup tone...no idea why.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by zionstrat View Post
    Sold my ce24 because I could never get the neck pup to sound normal... Not unusual considering the fretboard is where the front pup usually lives.

On the other side, the ancient Gibson L6s is a very undervalued 24fr and we used to mod them before they became rarebirds.. great platform for a do everything guitar and although we replaced neck pups we never had problems with neck pup tone...no idea why.

Primarily for this reason I like the Custom/Standard 22 over the 24.

I can't get behind the sound of neck pickups in 24 fretters either.
    My RG1550 did sound good, but it always seems like a compromise.

I don't use the neck pickup that often, but when I do I wanted to sound fat and beautiful and round.
    That a bit difficult with 24 frets, sadly.

My Les Paul sounds amazing there. The 339 I used to own sounded even better. That's what I like.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2P neck + Custom bridge
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Quote Originally Posted by Diego View Post
    I can't get behind the sound of neck pickups in 24 fretters either.
    My RG1550 did sound good, but it always seems like a compromise.

I don't use the neck pickup that often, but when I do I wanted to sound fat and beautiful and round.
    That a bit difficult with 24 frets, sadly.

My Les Paul sounds amazing there. The 339 I used to own sounded even better. That's what I like.
    I used to explain this to people and they looked at me like I was insane. Maybe I am, but I certainly hear a difference. 'That sound' is absolutely not there with 24 fret guitars.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Never liked Strats. Never liked Tele's. Never liked Fenders ...... Never cared for single coil pickups..... except for the lone P-90.... Never owned a single Fender guitar. Till now.

First Non-Gibson guitar since 1973 ........ saw it at a local music store. Picked it up and wanting to hate it, discovered that the neck was incredible with excellent fretwork. It was already set up nicely. Played it and and bought it. Compound neck - 12-16" radius. New neck - roasted maple. Color - Slate Grey - has a touch a blue. The guitar is very comfortable to play. It has the SSL6's in the neck and middle positions. The bridge is a Full Shred.

Now the important part. This guitar sounds freaking incredible..... The neck and middle positions have SSL6's and they are not overly bright and have a firmer bass response. Tone-wize, bass to treble, they compliment the Full Shred nicely.

The real surprise here is the Full Shred. This is the first time I've used one. Just from looking at the eq curve, I would not select it for one of my Gibsons. And it is a higher output pickup, yet it extremely easy to play in the guitar and covers some clean stuff and blues nicely. In the Charvel, this pickup compliments the single coils nicely. Lastly, I am practicing with the guitar to adapt to the lower output of the neck and middle pickup as compared to the Full Shred's higher level.

Never stopped to consider that a simple guitar could be so much sheer fun to play. As the salesman at the store [ with a small staff of husband-owner, wife, and one employee ] said - "Welcome to the world of performance guitars!"
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Ultimate Tone Slacker zionstrat's Avatar

"Never stopped to consider that a simple guitar could be so much sheer fun to play."

I love it when this happens... For decades, I truly hated low action and light strings. I have played 12s with medium action not down-tuned for more than 20 years.

However in a trade I got a strat that was incredibly well set-up with hyper low action and I found that I can play it perfectly under most circumstances and I now have a second light gauge guitar.

In my mind there was something wrong with light setups however I'm happy with both and means it's far more likely I can play a buddy's guitar than in the past.

So welcome to the 25.5 world glad that you can appreciate 24.75 as well!

What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?