Thread: Bass guitar with headphones?

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Default Bass guitar with headphones?

I've discovered a couple bass headphone amps that look interesting. But I'm apprehensive about playing such low notes right into my ears. I wouldn't think it's the same as listening to full range music that contains bass, but I'm not sure. Does anyone play, or practice bass, with headphones?

https://www.sweetwater.com/ashdown-tone-pocket-bass-headphone-amplifier

https://www.amazon.com/Phil-Jones-Ba.../dp/B00VBUTEDC

Default Re: Bass guitar with headphones?

I love my Vox AmPlug Twin for guitar. I put my bass through it too, sometimes. They made a bass model, but I haven't bought it, as my Rumble 40 has a headphone jack.

I wouldn't be concerned about low notes; high notes are probably doing more damage. Just use common sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

I was sorta thinking along those lines. Plus, I doubt they'd market the product if it was a big concern. That Phil Jones unit looks sweet.

I practice guitar and bass this way at home. With AmpliTube and the Ampeg SVT model with the bass and whatever I want with guitar (usually a Plexi setup or Soldano SLO). I picked up a pair of Skullcandy headphones that sound killer for what I need.

Nice. I'm lucky in that I've got a couple of really nice headphones. A pair of Sennheiser HD-280 Pro's, and a pair of BeyerDynamic DT-770 Pro's. The Sennheisers have a really deep, but not overstated, bass response. I just might pull the trigger on one of those that I linked to.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    I practice guitar and bass this way at home. With AmpliTube and the Ampeg SVT model with the bass . . .
    Just curious. What kind of hardware interface are you using?

Ultimate Tone Slacker ICTGoober's Avatar

When I bought my first bass back in '75 I couldn't afford an amp at first, so I purchased powered headphones. Bonus: I could play in the middle of the night and not wake up the house. Today - I still have headphones and a little "amp in a box" for bass or guitar, and I still play in the middle of the night without bothering anyone even though large amps for bass or guitar is within an arms reach. Practice headphones make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    Just curious. What kind of hardware interface are you using?
    The IKMultimedia iRig 2. I have AmpliTube on an iPhone 5C that I no longer use. I come out of the iRig to a little mixer and my laptop audio out runs in to that same mixer and then I use the headphones out on the mixer to hear everything. I even went and got an iKlip for the iPhone and have it mounted on a mic stand next to the mixer. Makes the perfect little setup.

Tone Member

I cannot stand playing bass with headphones, I think there's too much sound pressure and it feels uncomfortable after half an hour.
    However, it feels the totally opposite using in-ear monitors, I'm using KZ ZX6 quad drivers ($50). I played for years using Line6 Pod Farm on my Mac, which has very good amp models (opposite from their guitar amp models...). Last year I was shopping for a preamp/DI solution and I bought an Ampeg SCR-DI which has a very nice Ampeg sound, an overdrive (like a pushed SVT), headphones out and aux-in. Can run on 9v battery so very portable. Nice sound with headphones (it as a built-in "simili " cab simulator). Highly recommanded as headphone practice amp and preamp/DI for direct to FOH (ampless gigs).

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    The IKMultimedia iRig 2. I have AmpliTube on an iPhone 5C that I no longer use. I come out of the iRig to a little mixer and my laptop audio out runs in to that same mixer and then I use the headphones out on the mixer to hear everything. I even went and got an iKlip for the iPhone and have it mounted on a mic stand next to the mixer. Makes the perfect little setup.
    Nice. I may do similar. I'll probably run my EH Battalion into my Peavey PV 10 AT mixer. Or, if I want to keep it a little more simple, then just the Battalion into my Focusrite 2i2.

Quote Originally Posted by donaldr View Post
    Last year I was shopping for a preamp/DI solution and I bought an Ampeg SCR-DI which has a very nice Ampeg sound, an overdrive (like a pushed SVT), headphones out and aux-in. Can run on 9v battery so very portable. Nice sound with headphones (it as a built-in "simili " cab simulator). Highly recommanded as headphone practice amp and preamp/DI for direct to FOH (ampless gigs).
    That looks like a sweet unit. It was one of the options I was looking at when I decided on the Battalion. But the Battalion doesn't have a headphone out, so I'll do either of what I said above.

Tone Member

There's couple of headphone amps in guitar pedal format. But to my surprise, none has aux-input, otherwise I would have buy one right now

I haven't seen those. Links or brands?

Tone Member

EHX, Mooer, MXR comes to mind

I'll check 'em out.

I'd normally never associate Trace Elliot with bass gear, but this foot pedal pushes all the buttons. (No pun intended.) Aux in, headphone out, 5-band EQ, pre and post out. And a reasonable price.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...s-preamp-pedal