Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I think I've found my new default guitar pick

Default Re: I think I've found my new default guitar pick

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    2.0mm?!!!!!

Are you using those to try to break your strings or to dig holes in your guitar? Or do you use them as weapons (instead of a knife) because they go through airport security metal detectors?
    No joke right now in an airport.

But dude 2.0 is amazing for shred. Not so much for light strumming but I have Eric Johnson jazz iiis for that

Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    2.0mm?!!!!!

Are you using those to try to break your strings or to dig holes in your guitar?
    Yep, me too, after breaking most I went all into 2mm Ultex Sharps. Feels like a piece of glass, rigid and deadly. And I'm a heavy picker so I eat one pick per show on average. Poor strings, poor guitars, poor sanded-down guitar pick tips. May the holy spirit of guitar gear give them redemption in their next life.

On the thread: Thick Stubbys, JazzIIIs, Ultex sharps. Great stuff IMO.
    Last edited by NecroPolo; 05-21-2019 at 06:36 PM.

I find the 1.52 Clayton Acetyls are a good middle ground for picking/strumming.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroPolo View Post
    Yep, me too, after breaking most I went all into 2mm Ultex Sharps. Feels like a piece of glass, rigid and deadly. And I'm a heavy picker so I eat one pick per show on average. Poor strings, poor guitars, poor sanded-down guitar pick tips. May the holy spirit of guitar gear give them redemption in their next life.

On the thread: Thick Stubbys, JazzIIIs, Ultex sharps. Great stuff IMO.
    Yea that's it. I pick like I'm trying to break stuff when I do rhythm. Well, depending on if I'm playing metal.

Asshatologist

I've used all the jazz 3's, petrucci picks including the flow (WTF what a crap pick).. i've settled on the 2.00 Ultex black and the 1.5 jazz 3 Tortex.

About 6 months ago I discovered that Dunlop makes jazz sized picks in Tortex in the pitch black series. It was a game changer for me.

I've always liked the jazz shape, but couldnt get used to the material/feel. Standard Tortex has been my go to for a long long time. Combining the 2 made my perfect pick.

I'm liking the new Tortex flow too. It's kind of between the standard Tortex and jazz, but i still prefer the jazz size.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190522_211547.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	98500
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti
    NCSU '08

'07 Epiphone Les Paul plus top: SD Custom, hb103n
    '03 Jackson RR5: Super Distortion ,Jazz
    '03 Warmoth Explorer build: JB, 59
    '07 Squier Affinity Strat: Phatcat
    '07 Epiphone '66 RI G400: hb103b, hb102n

Professional Scapegoat BloodRose's Avatar

Jazz III Maxgrip fan here too!!!! For years I used Dunlop Tortex Oranges .60mm. Read an article in a guitar mag asking a bunch of (mostly metal) players what picks they used. Alot of them said JazzIII or black Jazz III. I decided to try em. At first, I liked the precision and feel, but had a heard time just strumming with them due to the sharp point and stiffness. I found the black ones alil too stiff. And settled on the red ones. Bought a bunch. Then..... Out comes the Eric Johnson one... Already loved the shape, but liked the feel of the material better. Less clicky on the strings, IMO. Switched to those. bought a bunch to put some in each case.. THEN: Out comes the Max Grip!!! Loved the grip it offers and the carbon material. Grip well, have the shape, durable. So, Ive switched to those. Have a large ziplock bag of Eric Johnsons somewhere.. haha

Where did you get 48 of them for $12? I have found that very few places seem to carry the Max Grips. If gotten mine thus far from Sweetwater.
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

tonewood instigator

^^Amazon had a sale on them, so I swiped them up. I had a $10 gift card too so it only totalled $2 for 48 picks and 2 day shipping.
    Like the fool I am and I'll always be
    I've got a dream, I've got a dream
    They can change their minds but they can't change me
    I've got a dream, I've got a dream
    Oh, I know I could share it if you'd want me to
    If you're goin' my way, I'll go with you

Professional Scapegoat BloodRose's Avatar

Gotcha! I wont score a deal like you did, but checked Amazon and can score a bunch for less..
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    I feel your joy. I can play any guitar - but there is only one pick I want.

I confirm this is a great pic : the tortex yellow 73. I used exclusively the orange and the yellow tortex in my previous band (Tear of a Doll) for years.

But now my thumb is shot and I switched to the red one and the three sided Herdim (blue and red) which are great for versatility : each corner have a different thickness.

The Ultex sounds really nice but I cannot use it too long.
    Last edited by Francois; 05-25-2019 at 06:03 AM.
    Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Underglazed Hair Metalologist 80's_Metal's Avatar

They are becoming my favorite pick as well, and I'm slow to change

8 strings of madness! JB_From_Hell's Avatar

The more I get into extended range guitars with low tunings, I'm getting pointier and thinner on the picks. Yellow Jazz III XL sounds great on my 8 string.

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar

I've always alternated between the regular Jazz III's (red/black) & the 3.0mm purple Stubby's....switched between them for 20+ years, then after trying a few others (Eric JohnSon, Petrucci, Carbon Fibre etc..) I settled on the translucent Yellow Ultex Jazz III's which I've been using for the last 5 years or so ..they're awesome. But I'm on a 3.0mm Stubby kick again. Bought myself a big pack of the grey ones like this & I love them, been using nothing else for the last year or so ...shred machines

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp

Wow those are thick!!^^^
    They look like they would glide pretty effortlessly over the strings with that bevel though.

Name:	20190529_184219.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	98720

I was using the .73 for a while, then enjoyed these..
    Squire Custom Telecaster w/TB6
    Jackson DK2QM
    Marshall DSL40C w/V30
    Mogami
    Ernie Ball
    Dunlop
    BOSS

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    Wow those are thick!!^^^
    They look like they would glide pretty effortlessly over the strings with that bevel though.
    Yah ..that's what happens

also, it makes your notes sound bigger..
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp

Got my .94mm Black Fangs in last week. Really nice picks in general, but I immediately gravitated back toward the 1.14mm version I already owned. Not sure why, to be honest. I just wasn't blown away by the .94mm like I thought I would be.

However, I still like the blue Tortex III in 1.0mm I've been using better than both Black Fang models. The Tortex III is the same overall size and shape as the Black Fang, but seems to grip better when the fingers get moist and the flex is right between the other two. For edge profile, I give the nod to the Black Fangs, but the Tortex III just plays well overall.

This week, I received the Flow assortment from .73mm to 3.0mm. I'm still running through them, but I'm extremely impressed so far. I'm digging the new shape and profile of these. They are a bit smaller in size than the Black Fangs and Tortex III, but nowhere near "Jazz III" small...not even close. With the Flows, I was surprised how usable the thinner .73mm and .88mm are. I like both better than the .94mm Black Fangs. In fact, I can't decide if I like the .88mm or 1.0mm Flow best overall...the .88mm, because of the slightly smaller size, feels very similar in flex to my 1.0mm Tortex III and the 1.0mm Flow is really controllable with a great shape and edge profile for faster playing. Grip on both is slightly better than the Black Fangs and at least on par with my Tortex III's.

I started out on medium thickness picks, then tried a couple dozen models in 1.5-3.0mm over the years, before climbing my way back down to the 1.0mm range. I think I'm getting close to finding my "perfect" pick and, having bounced from the classic Wedge to Jazz III's and back, I think the Flow might be the sweet spot! I'll keep you posted

Underglazed Hair Metalologist 80's_Metal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by v8stang289 View Post
    About 6 months ago I discovered that Dunlop makes jazz sized picks in Tortex in the pitch black series. It was a game changer for me.

I've always liked the jazz shape, but couldnt get used to the material/feel. Standard Tortex has been my go to for a long long time. Combining the 2 made my perfect pick.

I'm liking the new Tortex flow too. It's kind of between the standard Tortex and jazz, but i still prefer the jazz size.

Name:	20190522_211547.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	98500
    Oh great! now I have another pick that I have to try!

The Jazz lll’s feel too tiny to me. I tend to dig in pretty hard, and too much flesh hits the strings when I use them.

These are my preferred.

Name:	948752AF-CE0B-4685-99CC-402782BF1050.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	98748

I started using the black jazz III’s a few years ago. And now nothing else sounds or feels right