Thread: Went and tried some guitars today. And did Gibson change their neck profiles?

Default Went and tried some guitars today. And did Gibson change their neck profiles?

We made a trip to a shop thatís a little over an hour from us. They had a pretty good selection and have some of the better quality stuff. I spent about 2 hours trying stuff i played everything through a PRS MT15 head.
    First up I tried a ESP E-11 M series. I have never tried a higher end ESP before. It played real nice and the bare knuckle pickups sounded good. Not sure what models they were though. It was definitely geared more toward metal. The only downside I found was I didnít care for the neck thickness.
    Next was a music man cutlass. Fit and finish were nice. I really liked the feel of the roasted maple neck. I it pulled off the cleans and bluesy stuff I like to play. But fell short on the down tuned stuff.

Next was a music man Luke III . Fit and finish were the best out of all of the guitars I tried. The neck was so smooth it pretty much played its self. It did most styles of music I played very well. But once again fell short on the down tuned stuff. Which was a shame as it was the best feeling guitar.

Next was a Gibson 2019 les Paul gold top standard with 50ís neck. Fit and finish were a lot better than I expected. Weight was around 10 pounds. It sounded and played like a good les Paul should. No push pull pots or anything thatís not needed. Sounded good with every style I played. But the neck seemed different than what Iím used to. I have played a lot of the 50ís necks but this one seemed bigger to me.

Next was a 2019 les Paul classic. It was about the same as the standard. Fit and finish were nice weight was good. The slim taper neck seemed thinner than the one on my last SG.

Finally was a PRS custom 24. Fit and finish were nice. It was a quality made instrument for sure. But I didnít like it. It just did not inspire me to want to play.

I know the descriptions are lacking but I just wanted to give my quick thoughts. I canít put my finger on it I have large hands but the new 50ís neck just seems too big. And the slim taper seems almost too thin. I think something in between would be about perfect.

Default Re: Went and tried some guitars today. And did Gibson change their neck profiles?

I didn't play anything other than the Jr. I am picking up so I can't comment on the 60's profile but the Jr had what seemed to me a legit 50's Jr neck

Default Re: Went and tried some guitars today. And did Gibson change their neck profiles?

I forgot to put that I tried one of the new juniors as well. It’s hard to beat a simple work horse.

Super Toneologist DavidRavenMoon's Avatar

The 50s necks are fat. The 60s necks are thinner. I hate the 50s necks. Like baseball bats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I have played on both a lot over the years. I guess these new ones are more true spec.

I read somewhere that Gibson actually has different ď50ísĒ necks. Thereís a 58 neck (baseball bat), 59 neck (thick but different profile) and for reissues a couple different general ď50ísĒ necks have been used (thinner bodies with one body wood, no top, like junior, special, melody makers seem to get the thicker neck usually). I donít recall the measurements, Iíll have to find the article or specs where I saw them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

Gibson is nothing if not consistent I would expect many different profiles under similar to same names over time. Whether that time is day, week, month, year or decade is another story

Quote Originally Posted by beaubrummels View Post
    I read somewhere that Gibson actually has different “50’s” necks. There’s a 58 neck (baseball bat), 59 neck (thick but different profile) and for reissues a couple different general “50’s” necks have been used (thinner bodies with one body wood, no top, like junior, special, melody makers seem to get the thicker neck usually). I don’t recall the measurements, I’ll have to find the article or specs where I saw them.
    I've played both a '58 and '59 reissue and the 58 was undoubtedly thicker.
    The 59 neck is huge, but the 58 neck is freaking gargantuan.

I liked them both.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2P neck + Custom bridge
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Mojo's Minions

Individual necks in the 50's and 60's varied......over pretty much every brand.

The Gibson necks tend to be a little variable, not only as they have a lot of possibilities to choose from if we say 'a 50's neck' or 'a 60's neck', but also they will adjust according to the guitar produced. A more vintage flavour might have a fatter profile from the range of variability, but a more generic model might have something thinner to tempt people from other brands.

Super Toneologist DavidRavenMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wattage View Post
    Gibson is nothing if not consistent I would expect many different profiles under similar to same names over time. Whether that time is day, week, month, year or decade is another story
    I watched a video where they were shaping 335 necks on a belt sander. There was nothing that insured they would all be the same.

I carve necks by hand, but I donít have big CNC machines like Gibson does. They seem to find stupid ways of doing things. Itís quite surprising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the new standard production line "'50s" and "'60s" necks have changed a bit. They have both moved farther away from the middle, and farther into their own corners. '50s is fatter, and '60s is slimmer than they have been in recent decades.

All the terms '50s and '60s have meant on standard production line Gibsons over the years has been "fatter" and "skinnier, " respectively. It's more about comparing the two neck profiles to each other than it is about being true to vintage specs. Gibson made all kinds of neck profiles, fat and skinny, especially in the '60s, when they had both very fat and very skinny necks being made. There is variation before then too...and what most people view as a classic "fat" Les Paul neck is actually not that fat in the grand scheme of things.

When I bought my new LP Standard back in '04, there were two necks available: '50s or '60s. I got '50s...but I still consider it a pretty small neck. Just feeling it by hand, I doubt if it is thicker than .850 at the nut, which is like a standard C neck to my thinking. AFAICT, the '60s necks of the time started with the same general carve as the '50s, but then had the back flattened, and the flat blended in to the sides.

But the '19s have gone chunkier on the '50s, and given the '60s a nice small C shape with far less obtrusive sides (i.e. probably no thinner, but more of a true C, as opposed to the slim D shape it was before).

Add the fact that their frets and nuts are SO MUCH better this year than they have been in decades IME...and I am a happy camper. My frets are low, well crowned, well polished, and have a decent end dress on them. The nut is much more "properly" cut as well.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-20-2019 at 12:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

I did notice the frets and nuts were better. All in all I liked them I just have problems with my hands and have to watch the neck shapes. I called Gibson to see what they had to say on the necks. The guy assured me that they are the same shape as they have been the last 2-3 years. The necks on the couple of sg’s and les paul classic I have owned over the last few years say different. But it could just be chalked up to inconsistency.
    I had a Brent Hinds Epiphone V recently. the neck on those is supposed to be modeled on a 58 neck and is like a baseball bat. And the neck on the standard 50’s I played yesterday was bigger than that. All in all the quality was a lot better than before. But going by what the guy at Gibson said the necks may have slight variations to the shape and thickness. Just like the previous year models.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

I play a 57 reissue and the new juniors I tried seemed smaller than that.