Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Best humbucker for a HSS Strat with Glimourish middle and neck single coils?

Default Best humbucker for a HSS Strat with Glimourish middle and neck single coils?

Hi there,
    in your opinion what is the best bridge humbucker choice to complement a middle and neck single coil like the Duncan SSL-5s?

The only restriction is the humbucker shouldn't be too "vintagey", for I have to play mostly rock, hard rock and blues rock, but occasionally also punk and metal. I still don't know if the Strat will be an ash body (deluxe) or alder body (elite). I'm deciding beetween two strats on sale. AND I don't like "mid-scooped" pickups! AND single coil sized HB are NOT an option. Thanks!

Edit: to make you understand what sound I would like, in this video I like the Gibson 498T the most. The Schechter and the AT-1 sound way too dark. I am usually not a big fan of the JB but in this video it sounds very good, second place together with the Gibson 57.

Last edited by davidrf; 05-20-2019 at 10:03 AM.
    Ekam Sat

Default Re: Best humbucker for a HSS Strat with Glimourish middle and neck single coils?

That would be the Custom Custom.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

tonewood instigator

Default Re: Best humbucker for a HSS Strat with Glimourish middle and neck single coils?

I say take a Custom Custom and kick it up a notch with an Alnico 8 magnet. More bass, more volume, more balls.
    Like the fool I am and I'll always be
    I've got a dream, I've got a dream
    They can change their minds but they can't change me
    I've got a dream, I've got a dream
    Oh, I know I could share it if you'd want me to
    If you're goin' my way, I'll go with you

In that video, which I first saw years ago, I liked the 498T also, the JB second. Most of the comments on YouTube agree. However, it seems like the test in the video was EQ'ed for the 498T!

But to complement the SSL-5s, I think the CC also.