Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amp that could get close to this tone?

Default Re: Amp that could get close to this tone?

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
    I have only ever ran EL34s in my original Jubilee because the bias range is too narrow to bias up non EL34s without breaking out the soldering iron. The reissue 2555 can run a wide variety of octal power tubes with a user service-able biasing system, though.
    I tried a set of KT-88s in my 2555, but the tonal differences were pretty minimal compared to EL-34s; a little bit louder and a bit less bright at the same settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

A fella who uses my buddy’s studio has a DSL40C for a steal of a price, can it get close to this tone?

Also, is it reasonable to run 6L6s in a Marshall?

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by dystrust View Post
    It should be able to. If I were trying to get a similar tone from a Road King (or any Recto) I'd use one of the dirty channels set to vintage with the gain around 12 o'clock or a bit less.

A Marshall Jubilee (including the Mini / Studio) will also do tones like that if you're not sure about a Mesa or don't want to spend so much.
    I have channels 3 and 4 set to higher gain on my Road King, but I get pretty close to that tone on channel 1 with three tweed voicing. I hit the front end with a clean boost and an EQ with a bit of a bass cut and a bit of a boost around 500hz. The raw voicing has a bit more gain and could work, as well as your suggestion of using the vintage setting. Your suggestion will have a bit more compression.

The ideal Mesa for that tone would be a Stiletto.

Quote Originally Posted by StratKid View Post
    This is the tone:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_N8wNmi9B40
    That is the sound I seek. However, I do also value my clean tone. Is there an amp out there that will get me within this ballpark of tone with a decent clean channel as well? Assuming a Marshall of some kind? Silver Jubilee? I am trying to avoid buying 2 amps. Thanks!
    My 1966 Bassman (AB165) gets EXTREMELY close to that tone
    With the same speakers as used in the clip above, it will be spot on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tokai bassman AB165 grind ure.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	98672
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Quote Originally Posted by StratKid View Post
    Can someone tell me more about the Mesa side of the story? How close would something like a Road King get to this?

NO idea about the Recto Road Kings doing an early (KT66) JTM45'ish tone, but i am sure you will get in the correct ball park with a Mesa Lone Star Classic and, or, Stiletto Ace & Electra Dyne.
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
    That's the Marshall Vintage Modern. They are not very expensive on the used market either. The combo is already equipped with Greenbacks. However, they are not channel switching amps. They do respond good to rolling down the guitar volume, though.

That leads us back to the Jubilee for Marshall.

The Mesa Boogie Fillmore series looks interesting for this application.
    I can not agree more with you.

The Marshall Vintage modern can deff give you that KT66-driven JTM45 tone.
    Hell, the Vintage Modern is also running on KT66 valves
    The BEST modernday-era amp that Marshall has given us, imho.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aor 645697_n.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	98673

Toneologist YeRedHouseOverYonder's Avatar

Whatever amp you decide on, remember that in the video, the cab was played with scumbacks m75s (G12M Pre Rola Greenbacks).

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by YeRedHouseOverYonder View Post
    Whatever amp you decide on, remember that in the video, the cab was played with scumbacks m75s (G12M Pre Rola Greenbacks).

Isn't Scumback m75 based on G12M Creambacks (65w). Not Greenbacks?
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Quote Originally Posted by Jacew View Post
    Not according to their site. I've met the owner, pretty cool dude.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Speakers do make a huge difference. I use greenbacks and creambacks with my Mesa

I have a AB165 Bassman head and a Marshall MA100H. The Marshall does a good Bassman impersonation on the crunch channel and the cleans on this particular head are VERY nice (to my ears). The only issue with this amp is that it is on the delicate side of things. On the plus side, they can be found ridiculously cheap.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

I already bought two Scumback M75s that I am thinking of slapping in a 2x12 my buddy has for sale.

How would a Marshall DSL do? They make my wallet hopeful but none of the demos I’ve heard have been quite on target.

Not according to their site. I've met the owner, pretty cool dude.
    Scumbacks have been around quite a bit longer than Celestion Creambacks, and they make clones of Pre-Rola Greenback as well as the later Blackback Celestions. I'd love to have a set of Scumback BH75s (Blackback G12H30 clones) but those speakers are expensive. For my money Eminence Wizards are close enough.
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

I'd love to have a set of Scumback BH75s (Blackback G12H30 clones) but those speakers are expensive.
    +1 I would love to own the BH75s as well. We have similar tastes \m/ The used market is always to kind to those who keep a wide eye open.

Scumbacks have been around quite a bit longer than Celestion Creambacks, and they make clones of Pre-Rola Greenback as well as the later Blackback Celestions. I'd love to have a set of Scumback BH75s (Blackback G12H30 clones) but those speakers are expensive. For my money Eminence Wizards are close enough.
    Ok. I thought original Creambacks were the 65 watt upgrade speaker from greenbacks, before the V30.

Maybe It's different speaker I was thinking about...
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Ok. I thought original Creambacks were the 65 watt upgrade speaker from greenbacks, before the V30.

Maybe It's different speaker I was thinking about...
    The original Creambacks were transitional G12Ms (25W) and G12Hs (30W) made from roughly 1972 - 1975; the early ones had Pulsonic cones and were identical to Greenbacks. From late '73 through '75 they had Celestion-made 'RIC' labeled cones that some claim sound a bit different. Celestion switched to Kurt Mueller cones in late '75 and the magnet covers were changed to black around the same time. So 'Blackbacks' are mid/late 70s G12Ms and G12Hs with Kurt Mueller cones. Then in 1978 Celestion introduced the G12-65 which was intended to be a higher powered G12M, but these all had grey / silver backs AFAIK. The G12M-65 Creamback is a far more recent speaker.

there were 65w celestions before the creambacks

Mojo's Minions Lake Placid Blues's Avatar

Approximate timeline:

1965: first ceramic G12s with green magnets covers.
    1968: G12M25s
    1969: G12H30s
    Mid 70's: A brief period when G12Ms and G12H's had cream magnet covers instead of green magnets covers.
    Late 70s: Black magnet covers on G12Ms and G12Hs.
    1978: Large dust cap G12-65 is introduced. No magnet cover.
    1978-1982: About 40 different versions of G12-65s used.
    1982: G12H80
    1989: UK built reissue G12M25 with green magnet covers.
    2000's Reissue construction shifted to China.
    2005: UK built Heritage G12M and G12H with green magnet covers.
    Mid 2000s large dust cap G12-65 reissued. Made in UK.
    2012: 65 watt versions of G12M25 and 75 watt versions of G12H30 are introduced with Cream magnet covers.
    2018: Standard reissue G12M25 with green magnet covers' construction is shifted back to the UK.

G12EVH has black magnet cover with EVH stripes sticker on it. Its is a G12M Heritage made in the UK.

The original Creambacks were transitional G12Ms (25W) and G12Hs (30W) made from roughly 1972 - 1975; the early ones had Pulsonic cones and were identical to Greenbacks. From late '73 through '75 they had Celestion-made 'RIC' labeled cones that some claim sound a bit different. Celestion switched to Kurt Mueller cones in late '75 and the magnet covers were changed to black around the same time. So 'Blackbacks' are mid/late 70s G12Ms and G12Hs with Kurt Mueller cones. Then in 1978 Celestion introduced the G12-65 which was intended to be a higher powered G12M, but these all had grey / silver backs AFAIK. The G12M-65 Creamback is a far more recent speaker.
    Yep. It was G12-65 I thought was the "creamback" speaker. I know they didn't have cream color, but neither did many greenbacks. Thought the name came with the reissue.

Thanks for great info!

To my ears, a good plexi pedal would do The trick, Carl Martin I'd recommend possibly experiment with a v30, but if it were up to me, some type of Marshall tube, jubliee could work
    Squire Custom Tele w/Distortion
    Jackson DK2 w/Custom 5
    Marshall DSL40C w/V30
    Mogami Gold 4 life
    Ernie Ball
    Dunlop
    Skate.