Thread: Mini Pedals

Toneologist

Default Mini Pedals

Ok ,
    So the Carbon Copy Mini is coming. I never play through a Mini pedal of any kind. I always go for the full size mode as something tells me there is some give here and there for the compact size. Is this true or am I being an idiot?
    Other then the space savings on your board what is the Pus and negative of owning these smaller models. So many companies make them ( Except Boss which I have not seen one from them).

HomeGrownToneBrewologist Rich_S's Avatar

Default Re: Mini Pedals

I have a couple of mini pedals, but they were just because I was desperate to make a little more space on my board. They are both pedals that I use infrequently and don't need to switch on or off quickly. The mini pedals are just too small to be practical from an operational standpoint.

As far as sound quality goes, I don't think being smaller hurts them. The guts of pedals are getting smaller due to SMD consruction whether the enclosures shrink or not. My MXR Phase 95 is an awesome phaser than I bought because it has four different great-sounding modes. I actually would have preferred it in the normal MXR enclosure, but I forgave it's mini-ness because it a great sounding pedal.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

I own a mini Keeley Red Dirt OD (awesome pedal), a mini Tumnus, and a Phase 95. All have earned space on my main board, they sound fantastic! I anchor them to my Pedaltrain with velcro, no issues as of yet...

Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar

Owned a mini Tubescreamer for a while. It was face melting, especially when A/B-d with the old TS, only tiny nuances were different. I have no idea how they managed to cram everything into that matchbox without major sacrifice of tone.

Toneologist

Looks like a need to buy a few mini's and test drive them. Sounds like they are well worth it.

I've used several mini pedals. Most are just clones of the bigger versions- I couldn't tell them apart. There is a lot of unused space in some of those bigger pedals, and with miniaturization, it gets easier to be smaller.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Little Pigbacon

Can they make mini deluxe pedals? Or deluxe mini?

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Size makes no difference on tone if the same components are used -it's about foot access and board real estate.

If it's an always on pedal on your board -I don't know why you would ever pick the larger version unless the controls were more difficult.

For me, I don't do a ton of pedal switching during songs, but A LOT between songs, so mini pedal form factors are fantastic for me because I don't have the bad pedal hit risk. I'm more of a carry a sound through the whole song kind of guy, and make the songs different from each other, rather than switch many tones throughout a song making the parts different but the songs similar -makes sense -neither is wrong or better though -just preference.

also, if your against MIDI control or complicated switching platforms but want options and not much in front of you, you can use a Earthquaker Swiss Things or similar as a loop control for minis or regular pedals that are stored at you amp instead of in front of you -if you mostly switch tones BETWEEN songs.
    Last edited by NegativeEase; 05-24-2019 at 07:29 AM.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

I poop my pants and wear KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

I use whatever sounds great and works. Some of them are. I have an entire mini board because small.

However, would I use a mini for a delay where I’ll keep tweeting settings- no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Right- if you need lots of control, and things like tap tempo, etc, minis fail. But if it is a set & forget, on/off effect, there is no reason not to use them unless you just like bigger pedals. I can understand bigger pedals like tuners, as you can see it easier.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Underglazed Hair Metalologist 80's_Metal's Avatar

I've used a couple cheap mini pedals, a few of them were great, a few not so great, I don't think that had anything to do with the size of them.

I like having more space in my board.

I still use the mini tuner on my board.
    And just added a tc electronics flashback delay mini
    Name:  IMG_20190531_155834372.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  104.2 KB
    Last edited by 80's_Metal; 05-31-2019 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    However, would I use a mini for a delay where I’ll keep tweeting settings- no.
    So, does that make you the Trump* of pedals?

*no political statement intended