Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wiring a Washbrun NX3 like N4 Nuno Bettencourt

Default Wiring a Washbrun NX3 like N4 Nuno Bettencourt

Hello, I have a Washburn NX3, a cheap version of Nuno Bettencourt model, with Washburn pickup, one Volume pot and one Tone pot push-pull to split the pickup.
    I want to do the Washbrun N4 wiring, but I got some noise problem.
    I removed the volume pot and used the tone pot push-pull as volume, I removed the cap, too, of course. Replaced the stock bridge pickup with a Bill Lawrence. I'm followed this diagram:

(My version of Bill Lawrence has the wire with different color, but I'm sure enough it's well wired).

The selection of the pickup is correct, so the split works fine.
    But I got hum, and in the distortion channel a low pitch noise is very loud. No noise if I turn off the volume of the guitar.
    I can't get what is the problem.

I just have to say that in this moment the Floyd Rose style bridge is missing, so the strings. The ground wire comes from the "spring holder" fixed with screws in the rear.

I need help, please!

Thanks.

Default Re: Wiring a Washbrun NX3 like N4 Nuno Bettencourt

I wired everything, again. The circuit is inside, the bridge mounted and the strings are missing. I got noise, ground noise, I assume. If I touch some metal parts like the jack of the cable the noise is completely off.
    I just don't get where this hum come from.

I need help, please.

Tone Member

Is the shielding inside the cavity making proper ground contact?

Do you mean the ground wire? I can confirm there's the contact between all the ground (sleeve of the jack, pot and pickup) and the metal bridge.

Looks like youíve got one of the neck coils reversed so that it wonít be humbucking. But that would only affect the neck and middle position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

What you said sounds weird to me. I have to say the strings are missing, but I checked the wires with a multimeter, and I hitted the pickups with a screwdriver and everithing should work ok, even the splitting switch.

I reread the drawing. The Lawrence is the same way: itís using the coil starts as the series link instead of coil finish. Threw me off. Itís not the typical convention but it should work.

Try putting the strings on it and grounding the bridge.
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

The bridge is already grounded, the ground wire from the bridge goes on the pot.
    I don't have strings, now. But I can't explain how putting the strings will be solve the problem, honestly, I think I don't. I hope I wrong, but...

If you touch the bridge with your hand, does the noise stop?

Yes, like any metal part: bridge, back of the pot, spring in the rear, metal part of the jack of the cable...

Then you simply are missing a ground connection somewhere. Need to trace back from the jack until you find it.

I just checked.
    In contact with bridge are the sleeve of the jack, the ground of the both pickups, the ground from the selector and its metal parts, the lug 1 of the volume pot and its the back, the jack metal plate.
    Not in conctact with the bridge are the three other lug of the selector, the hot of the pickups.
    I can't find any part that should be grounded not grounded and viversa.

Just a thing. In this moment the switch the ground on the split switch of the pot is disconnected, so the pickup can't be splitted.
    And I found this: none poles of the Washburn pickup are in contact each other nor to the ground, while the Bill Lawrence has the outer rail, the one close the the bridge, grounded! Is it mean something? (I repeat, the hot wires of the pickups are NOT grounded).

Thanks.

If all that is good, then it sounds like itís simply interference being picked up, either in the power line of your amp/pedals where you are currently, or just the pickups not being truly dead silent and the amp is magnifying it. (No Humbuckers are truly dead silent, they Ďbuckí hum but they donít eliminate it)

If you set up in a different room, does the level of the noise change?

My other guitars are perfectly noiselss, except the 60 cycle hum of the single coil pickups. And this guitar didn't have noise problem with the original wiring and bridge pickup.
    There's something wrong, maybe somthing I am not considering, I followed the diagram, and I can't find any mistake.

I havenít tried reversing pickups to have the coil starts as the series link. Donít know if something in that reversal is causing them to be hum-magnifying instead of hum-cancelling. Theoretically it shouldnít cause a problem.

The other thing you could try is wiring the pickups conventionally and split to the outside coils by series links moving to hot on the push pull. That would be: Duncan black to hot, green to ground, red+white on the switch; then Lawrence red to hot, black to ground, and green+white on the switch. Then instead of the switch connecting to ground, connect it to hot when itís thrown.

Outside of that, Iím out of ideas. Sorry I canít be of much help.

I'll try to do what you suggest, first I have to understand how.
    But I have to be clear. The noise I get is in all three positions: neck, bridge and both pickups.

I followed that diagram, but the pickups are a bit different. In the neck I have the stock Washburn pickup with three wires:
    One and only Black wire: Ground
    White wire: Hot
    One and only Red Wire: "Splitting"
    Like this was wired even the stock bridge pickup, and everything worked fine and noiseless.
    Just three wire I can swap them between their position: signal, splitting and ground. If there's any reason I should do it.

Then, the Bill Lawrence has a different color wires. This pickup has bought used, so the wire was "prepared" to the soldering. The Bill Lawrence has:
    Black wire and external shield soldered together: Ground
    White and Green twisted and soldered together: Splitting
    Red wire: Hot

It should be like this:

I don't know why it says "fake". It should be work anyway, original or fake, right?

Can a mismatched wiring of the Bill Lawrence make noise even if I use select the the neck pickup position?
    I could separate all the wires of the Bll Lawrence and match... how?