Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to Trace Elliot?

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Default What happened to Trace Elliot?

I seem to remember them having a pretty nice selection of acoustic products, including several really nice acoustic combo amps, that were also usable as electric guitar amps. A friend brought one over that had a curved front panel. Four Celestion speakers above the control panel, and another four below. It sounded killer with electric guitar. Now they have one acoustic preamp pedal. Then they also have one micro bass head, one bass pedal, two small passive cabs, and two small active cabs. All bass. That's their entire product line. I also see that they appear to be under the Peavey banner. I guess that's just the nature of business these days.

Default Re: What happened to Trace Elliot?

I think they were owned by Kaman, who owned Ovation. They sold the brand to Gibson, who, like all the brands they own, ran it into the ground. It was then sold to Peavey.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Way too big Neon Green logo
    Last edited by NegativeEase; 05-23-2019 at 08:37 PM.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

I wonder if Peavey will try to bring it back. On a side note, how does a little 2x8 cab cost $500?

trace-elliot-elf-2x8-400-watt-bass-cabinet

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    I wonder if Peavey will try to bring it back. On a side note, how does a little 2x8 cab cost $500?

trace-elliot-elf-2x8-400-watt-bass-cabinet
    I doubt it, unless some nostalgia wave of some great player who used them catches fire.

TE was good stuff, -I used to run a big 2x15 in the early 90s, but now there's enough options on the market, these conglomerates don't want to waste time effort and money of relaunching brands that ultimately compete with their already well oiled product line. Trace Elliot would have to fill a hole they aren't serving to make sense re-launching.

I mean, what did a Trace Elliot product offer in functionality or price point that Ampeg, Orange, Peavey, Fender, Blackstar, or Hartke doesn't have covered? or what could it offer now?

SO I guess I don't we'll be seeing them anytime soon. In business, the guitar and bass amplifier market would be considered a "Red Ocean" and a bloody one at that.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Yeah, I get what you're saying. It's just a shame. The amps of this style were killer clean amps.

Name:  trace-elliot-ta100r.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  58.7 KB

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    Yeah, I get what you're saying. It's just a shame. The amps of this style were killer clean amps.

Name:  trace-elliot-ta100r.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  58.7 KB
    Thats cool lookin' . I never had anything that compact and understated by them -it was always giant and with a huge logo,

The real shame is Trace Elliott stopped making the tube guitar amps. I own a Trace Elliott Bonneville 4X10 and I love this amp. I swapped out the 2 lower Celestion speakers for Weber Alnico California speakers and the combination of the Ceramic and Alnico speakers sound superb.
    Last edited by Jeffblue; 05-24-2019 at 08:07 AM.

I have to say, their acoustic amps sounded really good. I hadn't used their bass amps, though.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Little Pigbacon

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    In today’s market we call that “iconic”.

Ultimate Tone Member

The guys behind original Trace Elliot started Ashdown and Hayden amps, didn't they?
    The HQs are in the same town, not far from me.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I have to say, their acoustic amps sounded really good. I hadn't used their bass amps, though.
    From my memory, most all of their stuff was on the higher end -and most of their products were bass and PA related -I think the guitar and acoustic amps came later -so I wouldn't doubt that they made a killer acoustic amp - I think they were competing with Eden, Gallien Kruger, Hartke and the other brands that were higher end back in the 80s and 90s.

It's a shame that there are more variety out there now -but globalization has essentially sucked everything into conglomerate supply chains.

Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I think they were owned by Kaman, who owned Ovation. They sold the brand to Gibson, who, like all the brands they own, ran it into the ground. It was then sold to Peavey.
    I knew that Gibson killed it but I did not know Peavey bought it. Good news to me. I have nice memories of Trace bass amps.

I poop in my KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

I thought York picked them up for a bit? Maybe the PA stuff...And yeah - the bass stuff was pretty nice, as was the Acoustic. See some pedals now and again on the Bay.

And the Gibson Goldtone amps:

Were flat-out stole from T/E's Velocette:

Last edited by Aceman; 05-25-2019 at 06:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Ultimate Tone Slacker

The new Transit A and B pedal boards have been on my radar since they were announced, but I have never had the chance to actually play one.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    I thought York picked them up for a bit? Maybe the PA stuff...And yeah - the bass stuff was pretty nice, as was the Acoustic. See some pedals now and again on the Bay.

And the Gibson Goldtone amps:

Were flat-out stole from T/E's Velocette:

You mention York. They make pound for pound dollar for dollar the best Bass gear there is IMO. Their solid state bass gear hangs neck and neck with any GK and Ampeg gear. -and for 2/3 the price.

Of course it can't hurt that they used to be Traynor -which made some all time stuff.

I poop in my KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Yeah - Gibson totally bought up and rebranded those TE Velocettes for their Goldtone series, which were totally adored by the world. Because they ARE awesome amps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Mojo's Minions Laughing Kookaburra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    I saw that on some of their bass gear the other day. Well, probably easier to find on a dark stage...

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing Kookaburra View Post
    I saw that on some of their bass gear the other day. Well, probably easier to find on a dark stage...
    I either removed the logo or sharpied over the big Trace Elliot logo on my bass gear in the mid 90s -can't remember which. I figured they ought to be paying me money for such an obnoxious billboard on stage.

In fact none of my cabinets have their grill logo on them right now, Marshalls, Fenders, Vox, Standel, Peavey, etc --but mainly because I didn't want any possibility of rattling when recording them.

Years ago I traded a 1958 Fender Tweed Deluxe for a Trace Elliott Bonneville 4X10 and it is still a magnificent guitar amp. 50 watts, 3 variable preamp, triode/pentode switch, 6L6/EL34, bias pots, series/parallel effects loop, etc.

I removed the bottom 2 Celestions for a pair of Weber Alnico Californias and the combination of the Alnico and Ceramic magnets sound amazing.