Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are we obsessed with OD style pedals?

Default Re: Why are we obsessed with OD style pedals?

I didn't like most of the OD pedals I tried as they altered my sound going into the amp too much. Too much mid, too little bass. The ZW was as close as I could stand but even that had artificial sounding, grinding treble, so I used that circuit as a basis for my own OD, switching out all the components until it was perfect for me. It can switch between the Zakk and the GT-OD circuits, between asymmetrical/symmetrical diodes and diode bypass and even has an LPB-1 booster built in for total Armageddon, speaker ripping fun!
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our ReverbNation

OD rulez.
    You wonder if your chance will ever come
    Or if you're stuck in square one

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Locher View Post
    How about this: I get my gain from my amp and I STILL have flipped through probably 3 or 4 dozen gain pedals in the past few years! I just love trying them out, and I like having at least one to use as a boost when I am playing quietly at home to give me the sensitivity and sustain I expect at stage volume. But mainly...it is FUN! Nothing else really alters your fundamental sound like an OD or distortion box! Even the bad ones are fun to mess around with and every now and then I stumble across a specific sound that my ears really like.
    OP and Dave, i've got a new personal OD addiction/problem

I bought a Greer Soma 63 preamp pedal that has a faithful brownface voicing with transister and all (It won NAMM best in show last year I believe). So now I'm experimenting with going direct into the verious effects returns and bypassing the AMP pre entirely for totally new pedal combos into pedal pre in power amp stages.

A Greer Soma 63 into a Marshall JCM power stage sounds unreal.

Anyways, a whole new Overdrive category to now explore.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

So far I have managed to steer clear of the entire category of preamp pedals, but the first time I find a too-cheap-to-pass-up AMT pedal by accident I am totally doomed to fall down that rabbit hole.

Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar

I buy cheap distortion pedals for novelty & kicks knowing I will never use them for gigging ..or anything much actually. They get played around with for a day or two and then they're off to take their place & collect dust in the pile in my cupboard. But they are usually a bit of fun for the day or two that I do use them. Try as I might I can't break this habit so that's pretty much where my obsession with them begins & ends.
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp

Re: Why are we obsessed with OD style pedals?

Because you won't use Airplane Flanger on all songs unless you are PIL.

and yes :

Quote Originally Posted by PFDarkside View Post
    IMO, it comes down to your core sound or sounds.
    And if you are using several types of guitars with different types of pickups like SC, P90, HB in a tube amp, the OD will help to fill the gap (I mean with the single coil and P90).
    Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Toneologist

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Locher View Post
    So far I have managed to steer clear of the entire category of preamp pedals, but the first time I find a too-cheap-to-pass-up AMT pedal by accident I am totally doomed to fall down that rabbit hole.
    I can't seem to stay out of the Rabbit hole man. Actually when I climb out of it I just slip on something and fall back in. I think I'm most comfortable inside the Rabbit hole then out.
    I feel like a Hunter in one sense where once I make the kill, enjoy the kill and it's rewards I'm right back out there hunting again. I may enjoy the hunt more so then the kill LOL.

It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase

Quote Originally Posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
    I like the SD-1 with it's asymmetrical clipping better, that would be a downgrade to me. But, their circuits are very similar so it is mostly just a matter of changing some component values.

Super Toneologist DavidRavenMoon's Avatar

I use my amp for my regular crunch tone. Then sometimes use a distortion pedal in front of that for leads. Sometimes I use the amp for my lead tone. I have different pedals because they all sound different.

Otherwise you are just collecting pedals. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    Not only that, but they're one of the easiest pedals to mod. Simply change a diode or two, and dramatically alter its character.
    Guilty as charged, but it is a fun hobby, especially when you mod an OD pedal you initially weren't crazy about, and the result is a great sounding pedal that becomes a permanent part of your pedalboard...

I'm not obsessed, I just signed up for the OD of the Month Club a few years ago and...

Actually, I gigged for many years with just a TS9 and a wah pedal, and didn't think I was missing anything. But then I discovered the internet and now I have a bunch of the little buggers around here. Three of the four ODs that seem to stay on my board are a Keeley Blues Driver, an OCD, and an EH Soul Food (in that order).

Oh well, my latest flame is the Green Dragon by Frank the Anvil, an incredible little stomper and well worth the price.
    Last edited by SAguitar; 06-04-2019 at 04:45 PM.
    "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

I have a Duncan TT Mayhem. A GFS Twin OD. A TS-7. An SD-1. I'll throw in the Keeley Katana, even though it's more of a clean boost, it'll do treble boost with the knob pulled out. And a Keeley Twilight Zone MT-2. Plus my Spidervalve has about 8 different boost/od/distortion options.
    Blasphemous, I know, but I think that I'm all set.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SAguitar View Post
    Oh well, my latest flame is the Green Dragon by Frank the Anvil, an incredible little stomper and well worth the price.
    I LOVE Frank the Anvil! (In a purely platonic way, of course.)
    He has built me 5 or 6 different gain pedals in the last couple years, all of which were good and one of which I will never get rid of.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

I own a lot of ODS

-but these are 4 that I use religiously on my board live now and in the last couple of years

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2019-06-05 22.40.05.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	98894 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2019-06-05 22.40.44.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	98895
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2019-06-05 22.42.05.jpg 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	98896 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2019-06-05 22.41.28.jpg 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	98897
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard