Thread: Demon cleanup/renovation

Default Demon cleanup/renovation

I've had a Screamin' Demon for a couple of years now that is showing its age. What type of screws would I need for a purely aesthetic upgrade on both the fillister and hex heads? And if you were in my shoes, where would you buy them? I could go to Ace, but I'd rather just order online because I'm lazy, and it's getting REALLY hot here already.

Default Re: Demon cleanup/renovation

If it were me, I'd just brush off whatever crud has collected on them and re-install them. Maybe hit them with clear coat to keep hem from rusting again.

As far as where to get screws, you can get them from Addiction FX on Ebay.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

I support Benjy for there are different steel grades on the market. Good chance to get the wrong ones and mess up the tone.
    Last edited by hamerfan; 05-25-2019 at 11:59 PM.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

The addfx hexz don't fit. I'll link the right size later.
    You wonder if your chance will ever come
    Or if you're stuck in square one

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Here's from the Duncan Q&A:

CAN I USE STAINLESS STEEL POLE PIECES?
    Most stainless steel rods cannot be used for pole pieces in guitar or bass pickups because they don't conduct the needed magnetic field to the strings. When you buy screws for pole pieces or a source of directing the magnetic field to the strings, make sure you test to see that they are carbon steel. Brass or stainless steel poles usually don't work the way you want. There are special stainless steels that can be used that have a high carbon content to conduct the magnetic field to the strings and will resist corrosion.

Yeah you can’t just get any screws and put them in and expect the same tone. Stay with actual pickup fillisters and hex screws. The ones out there can differ in length and head circumference as well so confirm with the seller first. eBay, Reverb, and Stewmac carry one or the other kind. Search this forum for people with extras. I just bought some 5/8 black hex screws for Duncans from a forum member for instance.

I've decided I'll just clean up what I've got. The fact I didn't realize how much more there was to it than just finding the right size means it's probably not a great idea. I'll just call it charming and stick it back in the guitar.

You might contact SD directly and see if they will sell you a set of both.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

I poop my pants and wear KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Remove them, place in jar with WD40, shake vigorously, wait a few hours, do again. Clean and dry with warm soapy water. Dry with hair dryer. Shoot with black primer. Clear coat for best durability.

If you want the right sort of screws - go to a Fastenal store, NOT Ace hardware. They may or may not have what you need (likely will) but either way they will know exactly what they are (Stanless, carbon etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

You could always grab a couple of the Duncan necklace's, and steal the pole screws out.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/merch-...=5cebe98755b54

Name:  Duncan_necklace.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  60.8 KB

Imperator of Indignation idsnowdog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misterwhizzy View Post
    I've had a Screamin' Demon for a couple of years now that is showing its age. What type of screws would I need for a purely aesthetic upgrade on both the fillister and hex heads? And if you were in my shoes, where would you buy them? I could go to Ace, but I'd rather just order online because I'm lazy, and it's getting REALLY hot here already.
    My experience with the screws at ACE is while they look similar and fit the metalic composition is different so they don't sound the same. Also the thread is slightly different so you end up stripping the thread on the retainers. However, for mounting screws ACE stuff is just fine as long as you can rethread the holes and go to a slightly larger size.