Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Dual colour LED wiring

  1. #1
    Senior Member robrhy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Scotland (U.K)
    Posts
    93

    Default Dual colour LED wiring

    Been useing this for years as a tuner mute.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AB BOX 2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	98822
    Is it possable to wire it up with a dual colour led instead of two separate led's?
    The Blues is just a bald man with a comb

  2. #2
    Mojo's Minions devastone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Longmont, CO, USA
    Posts
    5,277

    Default Re: Dual colour LED wiring

    Yes, most red/green LEDs are just 2 leads and it depends on what direction you put the current through them for what color it lights up.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: Dual colour LED wiring

    For this setup, a three-pin red/green LED would probably be the easiest to implement. The red wire to the red side of the LED and the green wire to the green side of the LED. The shared cathode to ground. Current limiting resistors on the both anode is of course a must.

  4. #4
    Mojo's Minions devastone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Longmont, CO, USA
    Posts
    5,277

    Default Re: Dual colour LED wiring

    Yes, a 3 lead is basically like wire 2 LEDs around a common pin, the first ones I found were 2 lead. So, Blake is correct, it would be easier because you don't have to reverse the current flow.

  5. #5
    Senior Member robrhy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Scotland (U.K)
    Posts
    93

    Default Re: Dual colour LED wiring

    Thanks for the help guys.
    The Blues is just a bald man with a comb

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: Dual colour LED wiring

    Quote Originally Posted by robrhy View Post
    Thanks for the help guys.
    Let us know how you get on.

  7. #7
    Senior Member robrhy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Scotland (U.K)
    Posts
    93

    Default Re: Dual colour LED wiring

    OK I give up
    Tried all methods of wiring up a duel colour led with no success,can get one colour lit but not the other.
    Using my picture could someoneshow me how it should been done.
    The Blues is just a bald man with a comb

  8. #8
    Mojo's Minions devastone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Longmont, CO, USA
    Posts
    5,277

    Default Re: Dual colour LED wiring

    Was there supposed to be a picture attached?

    Need more info.

    Are you using a 2 lead or 3 lead LED? Do you have a current limiting resistor in both circuits?

    If you can share a spec sheet, or even a picture of the LED it might help, especially if you can see the insides.

  9. #9
    Senior Member robrhy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Scotland (U.K)
    Posts
    93

    Default Re: Dual colour LED wiring

    This picture.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AB BOX 2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	98880
    3 lead led with current limiting resistor in both circuits.
    The Blues is just a bald man with a comb

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: Dual colour LED wiring

    Quote Originally Posted by robrhy View Post
    This picture.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AB BOX 2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	98880
    3 lead led with current limiting resistor in both circuits.
    Looking at the image the power for the LEDs is coming straight from the DC jack, to the resistors, then though the LEDs. The ground (cathode) comes off each LED then goes to the switch which then completes the circuit via the ground (depending of which poles are making contact) on the DC jack and therefore allowing each LED to work.

    To use the three-pin LED you'll need to reverse the wiring. The common cathode pin will need to be wired directly to the ground of the DC jack, the power coming off the DC jack will then need to go to the middle pole of the switch (the blue wire in the photo) and then the pink and green wires going to the each resistor (4.7k is a good value to use if you using a 9 volt power supply) on either side of the LED.

    In a nutshell:

    Blue wire: To the positive on the DC jack.
    Green wire: To the one of the resistors on one side the LED
    Pink wire: To the resistor on the other side of LED
    Where to green and pink used connect to the LED, connect to negative on the DC. This will be only a single wire as each side of the LED share a common ground.

    I hope this helps? And isn't too confusion. Let us know how you get on.

  11. #11
    Senior Member robrhy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Scotland (U.K)
    Posts
    93

    Default Re: Dual colour LED wiring

    Quote Originally Posted by BlakeC27 View Post
    Looking at the image the power for the LEDs is coming straight from the DC jack, to the resistors, then though the LEDs. The ground (cathode) comes off each LED then goes to the switch which then completes the circuit via the ground (depending of which poles are making contact) on the DC jack and therefore allowing each LED to work.

    To use the three-pin LED you'll need to reverse the wiring. The common cathode pin will need to be wired directly to the ground of the DC jack, the power coming off the DC jack will then need to go to the middle pole of the switch (the blue wire in the photo) and then the pink and green wires going to the each resistor (4.7k is a good value to use if you using a 9 volt power supply) on either side of the LED.

    In a nutshell:

    Blue wire: To the positive on the DC jack.
    Green wire: To the one of the resistors on one side the LED
    Pink wire: To the resistor on the other side of LED
    Where to green and pink used connect to the LED, connect to negative on the DC. This will be only a single wire as each side of the LED share a common ground.

    I hope this helps? And isn't too confusion. Let us know how you get on.
    Thanks for the info Blake.
    Found this https://www.diystompboxes.com/smffor...?topic=80530.0 which is basically same as your layout.
    Got it working now.
    The Blues is just a bald man with a comb

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: Dual colour LED wiring

    Quote Originally Posted by robrhy View Post
    Thanks for the info Blake.
    Found this https://www.diystompboxes.com/smffor...?topic=80530.0 which is basically same as your layout.
    Got it working now.
    Glad you managed to get it sorted and glad I was able to help out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •