Thread: I might get this Strat . . . . pick up up-grade suggestions please.

Default I might get this Strat . . . . pick up up-grade suggestions please.

. . . with a bit of luck, i will be the new owner of this S/S/H S-type guitar very soon.

Name:  strat sx hum 575488_n.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  53.7 KB

If the stock pick ups (no idea what is currently in there, not even the seller knows for sure) is not to my liking . . .

. . . what do you suggest as a starting point if i feel the need for an up-grade.

Guide lines :

* Bridge : SRV-like tone
    * Middle : something with a healthy mid bump (i think)
    * Neck : PHATT jazzy sound.

Thanks to all
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Default Re: I might get this Strat . . . . pick up up-grade suggestions please.

Pretty cool! I donít think Iíve ever seen a Strat with the SSH configuration before. I think, if it were me, I would put a humbucker-sized P-90 in the neck position... something like a S-D Phat Cat, a GFS Mean 90, or a GFS Dream 90.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Thatís an interesting guitar for sure!
    I like the idea of a p90 neck.
    Maybe a Texas Special bridge and idk about the middle.

Definitely an interesting setup there!

Bridge - Surfer II bridge
    Middle - Classic stack
    Neck - Jazz, Phat Cat, Dimarzio Bluesbucker

Hey there!!

First off good luck with your new axe.

Secondly...you may already know this, but that body is most likely an H,S,H route or a swimming pool route so you can get a new pickguard and make it anything you like.

Good luck with everything.

~LD
    For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
    Hey there!!

First off good luck with your new axe.

Secondly...you may already know this, but that body is most likely an H,S,H route or a swimming pool route so you can get a new pickguard and make it anything you like.

Good luck with everything.

~LD
    Agree. I'd make it an SSS and go with something more traditional.

If you want to keep the neck humbucker, I'd consider a PG or Seth or something along those lines -- a PAF wind that won't overpower the singles. The suggestion for a Texas Special bridge is solid -- hotter is probably better in that case. The hotter bridge from the Antiquity Surfer set or maybe even something like a Quarter Pound or Twangbanger would also be good. For the middle you could double up on the hotter wind or just put in an SSL-1, Surfer, whatever. One thing to consider is something like the A2Ps or the Texas Hots would tone down the highs, which is anti-Strat, but pro neck humbucker.

tonewood instigator

Looks like you've got a Tele bridge in there if you didn't notice.

While it doesn't fit your requirements to a T, A Jerry Donahue bridge, Lipstick tube middle, and Bluesbucker neck could be quite the interesting combo.
    Like the fool I am and I'll always be
    I've got a dream, I've got a dream
    They can change their minds but they can't change me
    I've got a dream, I've got a dream
    Oh, I know I could share it if you'd want me to
    If you're goin' my way, I'll go with you

. . . keep 'em coming.

Spoke to the seller.
    Depositing the funds into an account on Saturday.
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

Quote Originally Posted by Chistopher View Post
    Looks like you've got a Tele bridge in there if you didn't notice.

While it doesn't fit your requirements to a T, A Jerry Donahue bridge, Lipstick tube middle, and Bluesbucker neck could be quite the interesting combo.

I did . . . thanks !

So what can one call this guitar ?

Tel-Strat-Paul ?

Wow, that's unusual. I like it!
    My Choice:
    Gilly
    Classic Stack
    Alnico II Pro

But in the end, wire up a bunch of pickguards with some molex connectors and swap em as you need em.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Wow, that's unusual. I like it!
    My Choice:
    Gilly
    Classic Stack
    Alnico II Pro

But in the end, wire up a bunch of pickguards with some molex connectors and swap em as you need em.
    Suonds good . . . i like this !

Cool set up!

I'd do something non-Duncan with that pickguard.

In the neck, I'd get a Rio Grande Tallboy humbucker. It's fat and deep in series mode and is a damned good strat single sound when split. SRV could likely be gotten from that pickup.

In the middle, I'd go with Rio's Half Breed and in the bridge, I'd get a Muy Grande for Tele.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjy_26 View Post
    Cool set up!

I'd do something non-Duncan with that pickguard.

In the neck, I'd get a Rio Grande Tallboy humbucker. It's fat and deep in series mode and is a damned good strat single sound when split. SRV could likely be gotten from that pickup.

In the middle, I'd go with Rio's Half Breed and in the bridge, I'd get a Muy Grande for Tele

I like the way you're thinking !

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

I like the idea of keeping it unusual. I also like the idea of a JD bridge, but I'd do a PATB-1n in the neck, not only for the tone, but to keep the "strange" factor. Its a sweet, clean 'bucker. You could split it in the notch position for some nice quack.

Bridge: True Velvet bridge
    Middle: Red Velvet
    Neck: Bluesbucker

Every one is a brilliant pickup, and they match your descriptions very well.

Duncan kinda (but not exactly) tonal equivalents would be SSL-1, Twang Banger, and Phat Cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

I've never seen a Strat or any guitar with a humbucker in the neck and a single coil in the bridge! Interesting. How about a Humbucker from Hell by DiMarzio for the neck?

Quote Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER View Post
    I've never seen a Strat or any guitar with a humbucker in the neck and a single coil in the bridge! Interesting. How about a Humbucker from Hell by DiMarzio for the neck?
    Actually, it is common with Teles but this is the first I've seen in a Strat. I like it!
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Default I might get this Strat . . . . pick up up-grade suggestions please.

I have a Tele with similar setup, except the neck is a P90. For your setup, try:

Bridge: Jerry Donahue
    Middle: Antiquity Surfer RWRP
    Neck: WLH neck or Phat Cat

Personal experience, the position using both JD and Antiquity Surfer is sweet. P90 in the Neck sounds amazing. Essentially, the guitar can do everything from Surf to Sabbath.
    Last edited by BenPerkins; 06-18-2019 at 07:49 PM.
    Gibson SG Standard
    ESP LTD EC-300
    Squier Jagmaster Vista
    Squier VM Telecaster