Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Show us your stereo, w/d and w/d/w rigs!

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar

Default Re: Show us your stereo, w/d and w/d/w rigs!

When I go stereo for ours gigs (pretty often these days) ..it's with these two 30W Laboga heads & my TC Electronics Mimic Pedal. Sometimes through two cabs if they're available or else with cab emulation (AMT Chameleon Cab + Mooer Radar). Not that much to lug around & it sounds great..really a huge spread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010403.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	98996
    Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 06-08-2019 at 07:53 PM.
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
    When I go stereo for ours gigs (pretty often these days) ..it's with these two 30W Laboga heads & my TC Electronics Mimic Pedal. Sometimes through two cabs if they're available or else with cab emulation (AMT Chameleon Cab + Mooer Radar). Not that much to lug around & it sounds great..really a huge spread.

Name:	P1010403.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	98996
    Cool looking rig. Sorry, I'm just trying to follow the scenarios -I don't use stereo usually. in a mono mix club, does your approach change or do you keep it consistent and either use for an FOH blend etc?

i think my confusion is people on here keep mixing up the term "stereo' when they mean "dual mono"
    Last edited by NegativeEase; 06-08-2019 at 08:05 PM.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    are you saying you were playing clubs/venues with Stereo PA?
    Yes. Even smaller clubs pan my guitar L/R without question if I provide them two outputs. If they didn't, during sound check the recognisable L/R guitar would not appear in the PA after my ramp marshall signs (and stage plan) and it always did in the last 20+ years whenever I brought a stereo rig onstage. Only the percentage of panning is different from place to place.

So my point was -if you playing Mono clubs, is there still benefit to running stereo on stage for the group or do you abandon it?
    I'd go mono of course, such a split setup like mine wound cause only phase issues in a mono PA if both signals were in the mix.
    Last edited by NecroPolo; 06-08-2019 at 08:44 PM.

There are still clubs here that run mono...get this- L is mains, R is monitors. I don't know how you mix like that.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    There are still clubs here that run mono...get this- L is mains, R is monitors. I don't know how you mix like that.
    Ha. I have totally seen that. -also in bigger spaces, often Fills are Aux bus mono around a slightly stereo FOH -which can create some different kinds of comb filtering and listening problems that may be better or worse than a stereo fill (which is almost unheard of)

I'm very curious about what guys like Phastama and Necro are doing -as remember the Stereo effect is about the SAME single being weighted to created a spacial dimension in the brain between 2 sources, but hard panning 2 amps with different tone left and right from different amps is not technically stereo -it's dual mono -especially to the brain who will probably will interpret the same guitar as 2 guitars in time with each other out wide and not in the spacial stereo dimension -but not always -and using 2 heads with different sounds is not stereo -BUT if they are close enough in tone or time -your brain may spacially reconstituted them in the stereo spectrum based on how they are weighted in a stereo or dual mono PA. Incredibly complex and personal.

It's actually extremely complicated and subjective to every listening position in the room and also how fills, subs and your on stage amps (if run in stereo) also affect spacial and temporal placement.

Ive never run stereo native or dual channel guitar amps in my bands in medium or large clubs -so I'm very interested in what modern players are doing . Dual mono channel or stereo guitar for me has been mostly art galleries and events where a traditional stage set up for very directional propagation are not part of the equation and the area is sort of a blank slate for the musicians to create amongst the crowd.
    Last edited by NegativeEase; 06-09-2019 at 08:45 AM.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

ive seen the l-mains, r-monitors thing before. its wonky but it works. obviously fairly limited. even with my own pa i can run four monitor mixes, stereo mains, and dedicated sub send. although i can only recall once where i actually ran the mains in stereo. almost all smaller clubs around here are mono, once you get above about 400-500 capacity then pretty much everything is stereo or at least has the capability even if the sound guys dont use it.

thinking about it, there were times when i used to play as a trio much more that i did use two amps but it wasnt w/d or stereo. id run my rotosphere into two amps to get a more realistic leslie sound

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    almost all smaller clubs around here are mono, once you get above about 400-500 capacity then pretty much everything is stereo or at least has the capability even if the sound guys dont use it.
    This is mostly my experience, small clubs mono, med mono or stereo larger venues have stereo systems, and the FOH mixes in stereo -BUT the mix is heavily center weighted if not mono with fills as mono and of course subs in mono too
    Last edited by NegativeEase; 06-09-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I mean by small club a place that can absorb what 50 to 100 folks and an atomic rock band can throw at it. As for the mixer, supposedly 16 channels + enough aux for the monitors, main out stereo. Places like this one:

The mix here is raw, coming from the mixing dest to the PA, with a little level ironing perhaps for the video. Panned left is what is coming from the Marshall behind, panned right is a MIMIQ'd dry guitar into an AMT preamp into a gate then DI to the PA. It is not panned hard wide as you can hear, just a litte more than mono.

Years ago we carried our 16-channel Yamaha mixer just to save the day when needed. Now'days we use an Allen&Heath QU-SB: plug-in, quickly adjust levels, EQ and pan (not wide/hard at all) to the actual place, save preset. Simple task for the in-house sound guy during single shows and a really quick run for our own sound guy when we are on tour. When the in-house mixer is better than our A&H, we use that (just like in the example).

Bigger clubs have more capable equipment that can do R/L guitars easily. And they do.
    Last edited by NecroPolo; 06-09-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by NecroPolo View Post
    I mean by small club a place that can absorb what 50 to 100 folks and an atomic rock band can throw at it. As for the mixer, supposedly 16 channels + enough aux for the monitors, main out stereo. Places like this one:

The mix here is raw, coming from the mixing dest to the PA, with a little level ironing perhaps for the video. Panned left is what is coming from the Marshall behind, panned right is a MIMIQ'd dry guitar into an AMT preamp into a gate inti directly to the PA. It is not panned hard wide as you can hear, just a litte more than mono.

Years ago we carried our 16-channel Yamaha mixer just to save the day when needed. Now'days we use an Allen&Heath QU-SB: plug-in, quickly adjust levels, EQ and pan (not wide/hard at all) to the actual place, save preset. Simple task for the in-house sound guy during single shows and a really quick run for our own sound guy when we are on tour. When the in-house mixer is better than our A&H, we use that (just like in the example).

Everything else above the example do this slight R/L thing having a more capable equipment.
    Got it. Thanks for the detail Where are you at Necro?

Do you mean, in the moment or on the planet?

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Do you mean, in the moment or on the planet?
    Well, now that you mention it both

Well, now that you mention it both
    In the moment, in my tiny 3x 3m project studio jailroom that is a chaotic mess of recording and gutar gear and the only free place on the world to me.

I'm located in East Europe. Scaringly close to Chernobyl and same way scaringly far away from Westworld.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

In the moment, in my tiny 3x 3m project studio jailroom that is a chaotic mess of recording and gutar gear and the only free place on the world to me.

I'm located in East Europe. Scaringly close to Chernobyl and same way scaringly far away from Westworld.
    Ukranian or Belarus than eh? cool.

Ukranian or Belarus than eh? cool.
    No, a littlebit further. I'm in Hungary but 1000km is not a big distance really. I can remember when certain trees dropped all leaves after the nuclear incident in 1986. Then came the news.
    Last edited by NecroPolo; 06-09-2019 at 03:08 PM.

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar

Cool looking rig. Sorry, I'm just trying to follow the scenarios -I don't use stereo usually. in a mono mix club, does your approach change or do you keep it consistent and either use for an FOH blend etc?

i think my confusion is people on here keep mixing up the term "stereo' when they mean "dual mono"
    Thanks..it's light enough lugging them around & they're nice sounding amps. (one quite modern & the other is Sabbath in a box). Being the only guitarist in the band ..it's great being able to emulate a dual axe attack. While I leave the technical stuff to the sound guy (who's practically part of the band & been doing our live stuff for years) he assures me that it's 'true stereo' he sets things up for.

If it's a mono venue I just use one of those Laboga's lol ..or another amp. The stereo thing does sound way different/huge though... I always get off stage with a long cable during soundchecks and walk around a bit & the difference is very obvious. The Mimic is a great pedal for it..
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp

Ultimate Tone Slacker

No, a littlebit further. I'm in Hungary but 1000km is not a big distance really. I can remember when certain trees dropped all leaves after the nuclear incident in 1986. Then came the news.
    Cool. I grew up in the US with a couple of Hungarian metal heads.. good dudes.

My modest stereo bedroom rig uses my DSL40CR and a BOSS GT-100 in 5CM. The second out (R/hand) from the GT-100 (cable 5) goes into the FX return of a VS65R (SS power amp only). So any overdrives go into the DSL preamps, then stereo time based effects are added before being passed back to the FX returns of both amps.

This works for me :

Name:	11008860_10155189901580618_1332963133_n.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	99118
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

This is my humble wet/dry. SS-20 preamp into a Stealth Power amp. LS-2 being used to split the preamp, left is dry, rigth is wet, TC Mimiq is there to enhance the note separation. The cabs have Celestion Century Vintage and Lynchback. By the way, now that I have been able to A/B those speakers I am surprised to say I really like the Century Vintage more than the Lynchback, both are cool anyway. liked the H2O a lot before getting this rig completed but now it really shines, instant Eric Johnson cleans.

Name:	IMG_1918.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	99258

Name:	IMG_1919.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	99259
    Who took my guitar?