Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Low tunings + low tension = good

Default Low tunings + low tension = good

It def has a nano second of latency which becomes more apparent the further you drop. I think it’s more apparent with single notes than chords.
    Tonally, it sounds good. Again, for the first few drop settings. After that I feel like it turns to unusable mud.

As far as the different frequencies....I only notice it at low volumes when you can hear the actual string tone. It sounds dissonant. But at band volumes it’s not noticeable.

Tbh, whenever possible I avoid using it. But I’ve been considering putting it back on my board for D standard/drop C songs. Since my band plays a half step down already one click on the dial is ok, I guess.

But, plenty of other people use it from professionals to bedroom players.
    Last edited by Gtrjunior; 06-07-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Default Re: Low tunings + low tension = good

I can get by with a 46 on a strat in drop D, but not a Les Paul. Techincally, I guess it's Db or C#, since we're already down a half step. I've been known to knock the string right out of the saddle if there isn't enough tension.

Tone Member

I like the premise of this thread, its reason for being -- someone is changing their mind on something and isn't afraid to admit it.

My preference on string gauge is changing. Used to be all about heavy strings, all the time. Now I'm thinking I want to drop the gauge on my Epi Les Paul (standard tuning) from 11/52 to 10/52. Maybe even 10/46.
    Last edited by weepingminotaur; 06-07-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by weepingminotaur View Post
    I like the premise of this thread, its reason for being -- someone is changing their mind on something and isn't afraid to admit it.
    Always been extremely skeptical, particularly about the crap coming out of my mouth

My preference on string gauge is changing. Used to be all about heavy strings, all the time. Now I'm thinking I want to drop the gauge on my Epi Les Paul (standard tuning) from 11/52 to 10/52. Maybe even 10/46.
    Do it for sure. Before you decide you hate the new strings, be sure to try some lighter picks. Sometimes my 8 sounds a little muddy, and I switch to a .73mm Jazz III XL which clears it right up.

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by weepingminotaur View Post

Next to go is your willingness to carry Twins or push Stacks....
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Mojo's Minions

I've engineered lots of metal records, I can tell you that in the studio when recording, you lose some of the character of the initial attack when you start to drop tension on a detuned guitar -so there is happy medium to be mindful of

playing live -probably not as big of a deal.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    Next to go is your willingness to carry Twins or push Stacks....
    I'm playing an 8 string into a POD, plugged into an old Super Reverb. Trying to keep a foot in both worlds

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    I've engineered lots of metal records, I can tell you that in the studio when recording, you lose some of the character of the initial attack when you start to drop tension on a detuned guitar -so there is happy medium to be mindful of
    How much experimenting do these guys do with pick thickness, angle, how hard they're hitting, etc... ? I'm being serious, as even though I'm not recording, I spend silly amounts of time hyper-analyzing every little detail. Whenever I change one thing, like go from an .080" to a .074" string for my F#, there are hours and hours of time spent going through all my picks, tweaking the string height up and down, adjusting the EQ, pickup height, which dirt box model I'm using in front of the amp model, which of the two Dual Recto models I'm using... you get the idea.

Point is, if the attack isn't up to snuff, it's because I have one of those things wrong. Usually, it's as simple as getting the right pick. The added snap from a thinner pick adds a lot of definition for the lower tunings.

Mojo's Minions

I would say most serious players play greens or thicker -or at least yellows -I would say for most great players I've been around, it's all about light touch and maximum precision -angle depends on the tone they are going for I would say.

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar

I use thin strings (9-42 / 10-46..depending on guitar scale length), thick picks..(anything from Jazz III's to 3.00mm Big Stubby's) & tune to Eb most of the time though I do have an axe each in standard (E) tuning & D standard. That's the lowest I'm interested in going. Don't mind low string tension, but too high is uncomfortable.

My 7 string Ibanez S7420 Sabre (used for doom ..nothing modern) is tuned to B standard & it's string tension pretty much matches my other guitars..

Apart from string tension..I like the more open mids (less compressed) & sweeter/more complex highs that 9-42's have..

I believe bass should come from bass guitars..
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    Do it for sure. Before you decide you hate the new strings, be sure to try some lighter picks. Sometimes my 8 sounds a little muddy, and I switch to a .73mm Jazz III XL which clears it right up.
    I play a lot of metal in E standard or E flat, so I use heavy picks -- 1.14mm Dunlop Max-Grips, which I frigging love. I use these picks all the time for everything I play, and honestly, I haven't experimented much with lighter picks in recent years. If I switch to lighter strings AND lighter picks, I'm worried that my sound will get less heavy. But I will try it. Have a bunch of light picks gathering dust, may as well use 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
    I believe bass should come from bass guitars..
    ERGs don’t really sound like bass guitars. If I play straight into my Super Reverb and fingerpick with the neck pickup, I could fake a bass pretty easily, but with the amount of gain I’m using it doesn’t sound like a bass. My strings are too thin and scale is too short to get the bass timbre.

When I was younger, I’d go into shops asking for the thickest string they had. Most of them would pull out a 56 and make a joke about how I may as well play bass. One employee who I’d always thought was kind of a jerk motioned to the bass joke guy, said “F that crap, man. Got 13-60 on my Les Paul, tuned to C.”

Yeah, I have a 7 string ..it was a joke

Having said that my favorite kind of metal is played with 6 strings (most often tuned between E & D standard). I do listen to a lot of doom as well, but again I prefer the Candlemass /Solitude Aeturnus school of 'Epic doom metal' to anything else. Same with death metal....I like the old school stuff...Autopsy, Morbid Angel, Asphyx, Entombed & the like. They tune down but with 6 strings. Not too crazy about floppy rubber band type tones ..the closest I get to that is probably Nevermore.

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp

The old school tone is what I associate with the lower tension. Regular guitars tuned down, no optimization for anything.

I use only Ernie ball 8 gauge for all my guitars and tunings, am I weird? I like the strings kinda floppy and super easy to bend. I do have a 24.75 scale guitar tuned to drop c with 9’s on it and it’s fun, only problem is the Schaller won’t let me intonate completely.

Quote Originally Posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    The old school tone is what I associate with the lower tension. Regular guitars tuned down, no optimization for anything.
    Yeah but that rubber band-like djenty/percussive tone only comes from extended range guitars for some reason. You tune a 6 string down & you get Autopsy (nothing wrong with that )

^^ = Downtuned awesomeness

Youtube

Bandcamp

Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    My only issue with that pedal is that you can only drop so low before it sounds like mush and the latency is too much.
    Maybe two or 3 clicks of the knob.
    What your experience with it in that context?
    About latency, I tried all potential pedals with transpose function and this one was the fastest and most accurate / pleasing, by far. Other than that, I had some ancient tube heads that produced even more latency so I think I learned to live with it. It doesn't make a difference onstage.

About loss of definition, now that you're asking I do wonder if I ever dropped it below 3 clicks/semitones but I guess I haven't. Anyway I use the 8th (normal signal + octave down) function a lot for juicing up single note parts and solos. It keeps definition as the original signal is included and the octave down mixed to it is still accurate enough to sound as one unit. Engaged during a killer part or a chorus it feels like as if the listener was slapped all of a sudden with a whale. It fillst the gap between the bass and the guitar, all driven. Fun.
    Last edited by NecroPolo; 06-08-2019 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
    Yeah but that rubber band-like djenty/percussive tone only comes from extended range guitars for some reason.
    That's from the longer scale length, and (in my opinion) strings that are too heavy. My 8 is 27", and was strung 10,13,17,30,42,54,64,74 when I got it. It had that sound you're talking about. It's strung 9,12,15,22w,30,40,54,74 and sounds way better. It still sounds different than one of my down tuned 6s, or my 25.5" RG 7 string, but more like a normal guitar.

Also, I think a lot of that sound is how much midrange the djenty folks use. I have a few patches dialed in with heavy mids, and some more Pantera-like patches. The 8 loses most of that characteristic with the mids scooped.

I hear A LOT of string buzz in the djenty stuff, too. I've been experimenting with lower action than I used to use, but I still like it to ring out clearly, plus the lighter strings make it easier to fret anyway.
    Last edited by JB_From_Hell; 06-08-2019 at 09:34 PM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar

I was wondering, are you guys familiar with the YT channel The Bunn?

This guy has been experimenting with going low and super low with baritones for long and to my experience, he has great insight on the topic and recording and a lot of other useful things.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroPolo View Post
    About latency, I tried all potential pedals with transpose function and this one was the fastest and most accurate / pleasing, by far. Other than that, I had some ancient tube heads that produced even more latency so I think I learned to live with it. It doesn't make a difference onstage.

About loss of definition, now that you're asking I do wonder if I ever dropped it below 3 clicks/semitones but I guess I haven't. Anyway I use the 8th (normal signal + octave down) function a lot for juicing up single note parts and solos. It keeps definition as the original signal is included and the octave down mixed to it is still accurate enough to sound as one unit. Engaged during a killer part or a chorus it feels like as if the listener was slapped all of a sudden with a whale. It fillst the gap between the bass and the guitar, all driven. Fun.
    I agree about the octave function. It sounds/feels as good as any octave unit out there.

I have used the Morpheus pedal in the past and I also agree that this Digitech is a much better unit. And for rhythm playing there isn’t a lot of latency. I notice it mostly with solos/single notes. It isn’t horrible but I can’t help but notice it. Lol

Mattias IA Eklundh has been one of my favorite musicians since I discovered him, probably a little over a decade ago. He's using a .065" for his 8th string, tuned down to E. He does a lot of really neat things in this video, but the comb trick around 3:00 knocked me over.