Thread: Please help me wire this 2502N Ibanez style switch

Default Please help me wire this 2502N Ibanez style switch

Ok, so I'm in way over my head here and have tried to do this myself but I'm very confused at this point and I definitely could do with some help.

The guitar has 2 Humbuckers that use the Dimarzio colour codes. Red is north start, Black is north finish, Green is south start, and White is south finish.

The switch is a five way. The same as the one in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W08w...&index=25&t=0s

The guitar came wired in the same configuration shown in the video (it also has the wire joining two of the terminals as shown in the vid): Bridge Hum / Single Both / Both Hum / Neck Parallel / Neck Hum

What I'd love is to have it setup like this: Bridge Hum / neck single / Both Hum / Neck Parallel / Neck Hum.

Here is how I have it at the moment https://ibb.co/YLDTSVZ
    Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm lost with this.

I also found this on another thread which shows how the switch works https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/...526883&thumb=1

Link to thread : https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/...ighlight=2502n

Thanks.
    Last edited by caldo; 06-09-2019 at 05:15 PM.

Default Re: Please help me wire this 2502N Ibanez style switch

I'm guessing I'm not the only one confused by this crazy switch

Anyone care to point me in the right direction? Is what I'm trying to do even possible or would I be better getting a different switch?

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

That switch won't do the "neck parallel" mode. You'd need a Superswitch for that. Or, as an alternative, just get a push-pull pot for the parallel mode.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    That switch won't do the "neck parallel" mode. You'd need a Superswitch for that. Or, as an alternative, just get a push-pull pot for the parallel mode.
    Thanks for the reply @ArtieToo

The switch is designed to do neck parallel. It's like a condensed super switch with non standard workings which makes it hard to grasp (for me at least) what is going on exactly.

When I replaced the pickups it came with I used the same wiring and installed the neck first, I had neck parallel in between the middle and neck positions and a single neck coil in between the middle and bridge which I really liked the sound of. When I installed the bridge as it was wired previously it changed that single coil neck and added one of the bridge coils to it which got me thinking... could I just have the bridge in full humbucker mode and not affect anything else?

This is how it is wired usually https://www.jbwid.com/guitar/ibz_switches_hh_w97051.jpg

This is a good explanation of the switch here: https://www.jbwid.com/guitar/ibz_switches.htm If anyone that is cleverer than myself could figure it out that would be amazing.
    Last edited by caldo; 06-10-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

I see. That switch, apparently, isn't the normal configuration for that style. I'll have to study those diagrams a bit to be sure what's happening there. However, I move slow these days. Be patient, unless someone else chimes in.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    I see. That switch, apparently, isn't the normal configuration for that style. I'll have to study those diagrams a bit to be sure what's happening there. However, I move slow these days. Be patient, unless someone else chimes in.
    Thanks so much. I really appreciate it.

Slow is way better than any of the "progress" I was making with it haha.

I don't see how that switch can get the combinations diagrammed in the video the way that guy described each position. It won't work the way he described. Something is amiss.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    I don't see how that switch can get the combinations diagrammed in the video the way that guy described each position. It won't work the way he described. Something is amiss.
    I did ask Jericho, the company that made the guitar and they confirmed that's how it was as well as the Ibanez guitars that use the same switch in those combinations https://www.jbwid.com/guitar/ibz_switches_hh_w97051.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    That switch is a special 5-way selector switch (3PS1SC5 switch, 'COR-TEK' on front with '2502N' printed on back), it has a board pattern like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2040.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	99059

The standard 5-way import switch has a pattern like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2910.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	99060

Check the linked thread in the 1st post for more pics/info..

These Ibanez style switches are always a pain- best of luck!
    "There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind ... the only yardstick by which the result should be judged is simply that of how it sounds. If it sounds good it's successful; if it doesn't it has failed." - Duke Ellington
    Hi, I'm Sean at Seymour Duncan in California!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanK View Post
    These Ibanez style switches are always a pain- best of luck!
    Haha yeah I'm starting to think it might be a bit of a stretch to have it the way I want it. I might be better off going with a more standard type switch. Really I'd be happy if I could just have the neck split as an option. I think for now I'm best just wiring it the way it was until I can work out what I need to do to get that.

This is the first time I've tried to do my own soldering and fitting of pickups. Bit of a baptism of fire!

Post unnecessary, better response below..
    Last edited by Downrazor11; 06-14-2019 at 01:22 PM.

...And here is *the* definitive connection map for Ibanez part # 3PS1SC5, aka COR-TEK 2502N:

In the case of DiMarzio pickups, 'wire1' is Red, 'wire2' is Black, 'wire3' is White, and 'wire4' (not depicted above) goes to ground, but the selector switch above isn't always shown in diagrams on Ibanez's site with DiMarzio's wire colors..

Still working out whether you can do:

{P1:BrHum <--> P2:NkSingle <--> P3:BrHum+NkHum <--> P4:NkParallel <--> P5:NkHum}

but now others can feel free to jump in..

Just keep in mind this is limited to the 'COR-TEK' selector switch with '2502N' printed on the back, not a standard selector switch. With a standard selector switch it isn't possible to do neck in parallel, which I feel is a really useful tone, so you'd be missing out on that if you went with a normal selector switch..
    Last edited by Downrazor11; 06-15-2019 at 02:39 PM.

You can use also use a push-pull pot to knock out the Bridge pickup in the second position (well in any position, really) without disrupting the rest of the positions. Basically you just send the Bridge 'wire1' to an outer lug of the switch section of the push-pull (or to another additional small switch) and then send the middle lug to where the 'wire1' would normally go on the selector switch. This essentially disconnects the signal of the Bridge humbucker before the actions at the switch, though you have to remember to switch it back for the other selector switch positions (Pos1 and Pos3)..

Possible, but not elegant..

And if you are looking for the wiring diagram for the HH configuration using DiMarzio's wire colors, it is here:
    http://www2.ibanez.com/supportResour...07/RG2620E.pdf

Or, if that link is broken, here is the main 'Ibanez Wiring Diagrams' page, just select 'Guitars', then '2007', then 'RG2620'..

Feel free to message me/reply if you have any questions, I will be here until the end of time..

Quote Originally Posted by Downrazor11 View Post
    And if you are looking for the wiring diagram for the HH configuration using DiMarzio's wire colors, it is here:
    http://www2.ibanez.com/supportResour...07/RG2620E.pdf

Or, if that link is broken, here is the main 'Ibanez Wiring Diagrams' page, just select 'Guitars', then '2007', then 'RG2620'..

Feel free to message me/reply if you have any questions, I will be here until the end of time..

Thanks so much for the help and effort you've gone to to put that info together. I'm still not close to understanding the workings of it but I'm gonna re read and study the diagram again and hopefully it might make more sense to me in time

It would be a shame to loose the parallel if I went with a standard switch I agree. I just thought it sounded very close to the split neck sound only the split sounded nice and chewy in the attack which I really liked.