Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are the micro tube amp heads worth it?

I poop in my KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Default Re: Are the micro tube amp heads worth it?

Really been playing my HK Tubemeister a lot lately. It is certainly NOT my Mesa! But really really digging it. I could use this thing for a lot of applications, including live. I'd use the Built-in Redbox out, but still. After a couple of jams in a studio with a drummer, 18 watts through a 4x12 works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
    I use an Orange Jim Root Terror on stage, with a mic-ed pa and without. The 15 watts has rarely been an issue. Sound guys love it, and it sounds monsterous through a 4 X12 and not far off on my V30 equipped 1 x 12
    That's funny, I just sold mine the other day. Way too fuzzy/fizzy to play thrash with any semblance of definition. Even with a 10-band EQ in the loop I couldn't get it to sound very good with the gain cranked up. Would've worked a lot better for stoner and doom.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Quote Originally Posted by regan View Post
    Whats your budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Gibson SG Standard
    ESP LTD EC-300
    Squier Jagmaster Vista
    Squier VM Telecaster

Ola Englund makes a pretty good defense of the Orange Micro Dark here:

Sounds kinda mushy, then drops an OD pedal and holy **** does it sound good. The damn thing has an FX loop as well so what's not to like?
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2P neck + Custom bridge
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

My PRS MT 15 s an absolute BEAST!! GREAT cleans small light and that high gain side just kills. Had several other small heads that were just OK but this thing is just a wicked amp for any size!! rated 15 watts but runs a pair of 6L6's and has big iron. Will stand toe to toe with my Boogie DC 5 and Carvin X50B heads in volume on the same cab and has by far the best cleans of them all. The crunch side is what I really love it's thick but not muddy, articulate, super smooth, fluid and very defined plus extremely touch sensitive. Rarely run anything but just the amp and a little cheap Byang Baby Boom Tri Reverb and a DD7 Delay in the loop. CRAZY good amp and at just $650 street new is a screaming deal!
    Last edited by Ascension; 08-11-2019 at 05:31 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 104, MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120, Taylor 115
    Amps PRS MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego View Post
    Ola Englund makes a pretty good defense of the Orange Micro Dark here:

Sounds kinda mushy, then drops an OD pedal and holy **** does it sound good. The damn thing has an FX loop as well so what's not to like?
    That is my bullet proof backup amp when I take any of my other Oranges out. It can more than handle a show by itself, too. I used it at the last show my Sabbath tribute played, and it killed.
    Last edited by guitfiddle; 08-12-2019 at 04:29 PM.
    - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

If you are on a budget don't be afraid to look at some solid-state heads. You will get more volume and bang for your buck. There are some spectacular ones out there. There are Randell heads out there that are phenomenal you can pick up for sub $200. If you can find an old Randell orange stripe grab it.

Quote Originally Posted by Securb View Post
    If you are on a budget don't be afraid to look at some solid-state heads. You will get more volume and bang for your buck. There are some spectacular ones out there. There are Randell heads out there that are phenomenal you can pick up for sub $200. If you can find an old Randell orange stripe grab it.
    Even amps with a full tube preamp and a high wattage, compact Class-D power section might be up your alley. You could even assemble your own with the SD Powerstage and your preamp, or even preamp pedal seeing as they make really good ones lately. AMT has both solid state and tube preamps in pedal and rack formats. Mooer has great sounding digital preamp emulators in a box and the entire collection in their new "preamp live" which even lets you profile your own amps a la Kemper.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our ReverbNation