Thread: Kauri Guitar

Default Kauri Guitar

Hi from New Zealand. I just bought an oldie handmade guitar - made from ancient Kauri wood. It has a double pickup at the bridge and a single at the neck. It looks great but sounds terrible. The seller says he set it up with the tone knob being a tone boost. It sounds too tinny. Considering that this guitar looks like a Gibson in shape (complete with Telecaster style knobs and toggle), and I love the sound of my 2008 Les Paul (Burstbucker Pro set up), what would you recommend? I prefer Humbuckers for sure for both neck and bridge. Maybe a pair that both have silver covers (like the Telecaster neck look???). Including volume and tone pots - there is something not right with mine. Or maybe I should go for a Telecaster sound ...
    Name:  Kauri1.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  49.2 KB Any ideas appreciated.

Default Re: Kauri Guitar

This one is too tinny, and you like Burstbucker Pro LP.... I donít know that guitar/wood, so this is a loose guess/suggestion. Maybe Seth or A2P or Slash bridge, and maybe a 5-2 Tele neck? Or maybe Cool Rails Strat neck or Antiquity Texas Hot neck?

I havenít used the 5-2, Cool Rails or Slash; but the others I have and have used. If you are super finicky that the pickups much match exactly in eq and tone, then Iím not sure what to suggest. Typically I want pickups that are brighter, so I was trying to suggest pickups that are a bit warmer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

Toneologist

Kauri is a type of agathis. Assuming this is ancient swamp kauri, there is probably a lot of acrylic resin to fill in voids and make the timber more stable.

Welcome to the forum!

I'd first make sure the current wiring is correct. Make sure both coils of the humbucker are working, and that what you are hearing is the guitar, not a fault in the wiring.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Le Comte View Post
    Kauri is a type of agathis. Assuming this is ancient swamp kauri, there is probably a lot of acrylic resin to fill in voids and make the timber more stable.
    There is some resin filling some voids - not all.

Thanks. It doesn't have to sound like my Les Paul. That would be impossible. But something warmer than this for sure. I have Cool Rails and Hot Rails and Vintage Rails on my Strat and am happy with those.

I'd definitely double check the pot values as well- if it doesn't already have 250k in it that certainly would help!
    "There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind ... the only yardstick by which the result should be judged is simply that of how it sounds. If it sounds good it's successful; if it doesn't it has failed." - Duke Ellington
    Hi, I'm Sean at Seymour Duncan in California!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanK View Post
    I'd definitely double check the pot values as well- if it doesn't already have 250k in it that certainly would help!
    Actually, I am thinking of buying a set of some sort, including pots. Like the loaded pickguards, but without the pickguard. I have a Les Paul, a Strat, and a Tele, and like all of them, so it would be good if this sounded somehow different. A bit more warmer bluesy maybe. If someone makes a good recommendation, I might just go for it.

Maybe a Classic Stack and a 59/Custom Hybrid? If it still sounds terrible, it won't be the pickups' fault.

Thanks - will check it out. Would
    that single coil come with the option of a cover? Just to make them look similar ...

The Classic Stack's cover is glued on, so I don't think you could get another cover unless you go through the Custom Shop.