Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using a PATB-2b?

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Default Anyone using a PATB-2b?

I've got 1's, and I've tried a PATB-3. In fact, I regret selling it and I think I'm going to snag another. But I'm intrigued by the PATB-2, at 21.2k. Has anyone tried one?

Part of the reason I'm asking, is I just got one of my PATB-1n's back from Duncan. She needs a friend.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-13-2019 at 08:42 AM.

Default Re: Anyone using a PATB-2b?

Hey Artie!

The PATB2b is a monster!

It's hot and compressed, but still retains that airy feel that the Parallel Axis pickups all seem to have. It's very percussive and has a lot of growl. Lots of midrange push and big bottom end without being loose at all.

The top end is the opposite of shrill, but still has decent cut. A little less biting than the regular Distortion. Works well if you're the type that likes to boost the presence and treble a on his amp to open things up.

Definitely a "Distortion" class pickup though...it's a heavy hitter!

Fast forward to about 6:30...

Wow! I'm going to have to get me one of those.

Not yet, but soon...

Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Wow! That's going to be killer. I just ordered mine earlier today, so we can compare notes later. I've wondered about those PATB singles too.

Toneologist

I replaced a JB in my old Jackson RR1T years ago with the PATB-2 and loved it. It paired well with the Jazz in the neck.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Professional Scapegoat BloodRose's Avatar

Great thread! Been wondering bout those for years.. Afraid to take the leap. I had a PATB 3 and it was awesome.
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Ultimate Tone Slacker Dave Locher's Avatar
    Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

I am surprised to see the poles line up so well with tom-bridge guitars. Thanks for giving me gas, fellas...

Toneologist

I was surprised, too. I guess newer TOM bridges are F/trem-spaced.

The majority of TOM bridges from the early-90s forward are F-spaced, even on Gibsons

The PATB-2 is a cool pickup. Take advantage of coil splitting it if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by masta' c View Post
    The majority of TOM bridges from the early-90s forward are F-spaced, even on Gibsons

The PATB-2 is a cool pickup. Take advantage of coil splitting it if you can.
    I will. She came today. Can't wait to install these. Just not sure what they're going into. Probably either an LP or my Schecter Omen-6.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PATB-2b.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	99133

(Pure coincidence that my little screwdriver set matches the Duncan green perfectly.)

Interesting, so the Original doesn’t have the logo but the Distortion does?
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

No. The PATB-1n on the left, I already owned. But someone else owned it first. It only had a couple inches of wire and the logo was sanded off. I just got it back from Duncan to have the full length wire put back on. I forgot to ask them if they could reapply the logo.

On the PASTK- it's awesome, and matches perfectly the humbuckers output-wise.

Here's a PATB set on my limkted edition Ibanez RG870RWZ:

Name:  IbanezRG870RWZ-1.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  40.4 KB

Name:  IbanezRG870RWZ-3.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  48.8 KB

Name:  IbanezRG870RWZ-2.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  46.0 KB

Had a PATB-2 on a BC Rich Warlock NJ Neck-Thru a few years back. It absolutely crushed everything on a 1.000 mile radius.

Name:	DSC00087.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	99148

Name:	DSC00088.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	99149

Nowadays the PATB-1 is more than enough for me.
    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics), PRS SE CU 24 Flametop (TB5/PGn), Ibanez RG870RWZ (PATB set), Jackson DK2M1H (TB4) & DK2 (TB10/VRn/CRn), LTD MH-1000HS (Pegasus/HRn), ST213A (HRb/STK-S4 m&n) & TE212 (Hot Stack/A2Pn), Dean Cadillac 1980 (59 set) & Old Skull V (TB6/JazzN), Squier VM JM (SJM-1 set);Effects:Korg Pitchblack Poly, Digitech Drop, MXR CAE MC404 & EHX Wailer wahs, L6 HX FX & Stomp, Fender FVP-1, EHX Volume Pedal; Amp & Cab:H&K GM 40 Dlx, L6 DT25 cab;

That Ibby is killer. I especially like how the pole pieces line up with the wood lines. I bet she sounds sweet.

Tone Member

I have a PATB2 MJ that is in a Charvel Model 3DR. Its tuned to D with 10-46 on it, so its a tad thin sounding. I haven't given it my full review yet so i will put some 11's on it and get back with my thoughts.
    Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, Ibanez
    Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Lil' Screamin' Demon, Nazgul, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1, PATB3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    That Ibby is killer. I especially like how the pole pieces line up with the wood lines. I bet she sounds sweet.
    It's actually a rosewood top. Got one just before the whole CITES thing. Lucky me.

Although gorgeous, it sounded a bit dull, but the pickups really brought it to life. Not only it now,sings, but also has loads of sustain.

Never noticed the visual link between the poles and the top, actually they do line up. Well spotted!
    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics), PRS SE CU 24 Flametop (TB5/PGn), Ibanez RG870RWZ (PATB set), Jackson DK2M1H (TB4) & DK2 (TB10/VRn/CRn), LTD MH-1000HS (Pegasus/HRn), ST213A (HRb/STK-S4 m&n) & TE212 (Hot Stack/A2Pn), Dean Cadillac 1980 (59 set) & Old Skull V (TB6/JazzN), Squier VM JM (SJM-1 set);Effects:Korg Pitchblack Poly, Digitech Drop, MXR CAE MC404 & EHX Wailer wahs, L6 HX FX & Stomp, Fender FVP-1, EHX Volume Pedal; Amp & Cab:H&K GM 40 Dlx, L6 DT25 cab;

Mojo's Minions

The PATB look tends to put off many, but on guitars like that ibby, it just suits really well. Not usually a superstrat fan, but I do like the look of that guitar.

It's nice to see that quite a few people are using the PATB pickups. I've always thought they were the unsung heroes of pups. I hope to have pics of my install later today, or tomorrow.
    Since my wife got me a big ole Pit Boss pellet grill for Father's Day, I'm guessing I'm going to be doing some grillin' today.