Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone using a PATB-2b?

Professional Scapegoat BloodRose's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone using a PATB-2b?

Synapsys sad that the guitar sounded a bit dull.. I had the same sitch. I had a Carvin SC90 that was STUNNINGLY gorgeous.. But tonally, it was a bit bland... When I put in the PATB3 and pearly gates neck, the guitar then had mojo to spare...
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

If only SD made zebra ones, I'd be in pickup Heaven...

BloodRose, is your SC90 bolt on or neck-through?
    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics), PRS SE CU 24 Flametop (TB5/PGn), Ibanez RG870RWZ (PATB set), Jackson DK2M1H (TB4) & DK2 (TB10/VRn/CRn), LTD ST213A (HRb/STK-S4 m&n) & TE212 (Hot Stack/A2Pn), Dean Cadillac 1980 (59 set) & Old Skull V (TB6/JazzN), Squier VM JM (SJM-1 set);Effects:Korg Pitchblack Poly, Digitech Drop, MXR CAE MC404 & EHX Wailer wahs, L6 HX FX & Stomp, Fender FVP-1, EHX Volume Pedal; Amp & Cab:H&K GM 40 Dlx, L6 DT25 cab;

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    It's nice to see that quite a few people are using the PATB pickups. I've always thought they were the unsung heroes of pups. I hope to have pics of my install later today, or tomorrow.
    Since my wife got me a big ole Pit Boss pellet grill for Father's Day, I'm guessing I'm going to be doing some grillin' today.
    Never tried the PATB-2b, but I'm loving the PATB-1b paired with a '59 in the neck

Name:  2014-05-26 21.20.44.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  117.1 KB
    The gift of death metal does not smile on the good looking

Ultimate Tone Slacker

the patb series are so damn epic.
    the patb2 is GREAT. the patb1/2 HYBRID is...

heaven. the fluidity of the leads, the tightness of the rhythm. crunch to spare for years and days. so organic. SO many harmonics. Some of the best pickups I've ever come across. even the singlecoils are amazing.

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

A 1/2 hybrid? Hmmm, sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Synapsys View Post
    If only SD made zebra ones, I'd be in pickup Heaven...

BloodRose, is your SC90 bolt on or neck-through?
    I believe they only make them in neck thru. Mine was..
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Just asked since the PATB series was developed with bolt ons in mind... cool to see them used outside that box!
    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics), PRS SE CU 24 Flametop (TB5/PGn), Ibanez RG870RWZ (PATB set), Jackson DK2M1H (TB4) & DK2 (TB10/VRn/CRn), LTD ST213A (HRb/STK-S4 m&n) & TE212 (Hot Stack/A2Pn), Dean Cadillac 1980 (59 set) & Old Skull V (TB6/JazzN), Squier VM JM (SJM-1 set);Effects:Korg Pitchblack Poly, Digitech Drop, MXR CAE MC404 & EHX Wailer wahs, L6 HX FX & Stomp, Fender FVP-1, EHX Volume Pedal; Amp & Cab:H&K GM 40 Dlx, L6 DT25 cab;

The guitar was extremely gorgeous!!! Purple flame top (Carvin has gorgeous flame and quilt) SC90 is a single cut shape, but had a chrome Floyd on it. I changed the truss cover and p/g to chrome and on that dark purple, it was breath taking... Tonally, I felt it was alittle thin tho. So I inquired here on the forum and was recommended the PATB3. Put that in with a Pearly gates in the neck.. WOW...... Just wow.. think that Gorgeous girl thats drunk and goes home with you.. She wakes up in the morning sober and STILL wants to be with you again!! LOL... NO, not a real life scenario.... Just came to me..
    Anyhow, It looked amazing and then sounded amazing too!!

Jol Dantzig

I know this is stupid, but my main gripe with Carvin/Kiesel is that they don't do neck binding... The only guitars I like without neck binding are Fenders.

Even the Jackson on my avatar has black binding on the neck.

On topic, one day I have to try the PATB3. An excellent excuse to buy a new guitar...

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    A 1/2 hybrid? Hmmm, sounds interesting.

it negates the tiny issues i had with each.

The 1 can be a bit too loose in the low end from time to time. The 2 is too tight for its own good. The hybrid is just perfect.

Which magnet did you keep for the hybrid? Alnico from the PATB-1 or Ceramic from the PATB-2?

I've thought about trying a ceramic in the PATB-1 before

Ultimate Tone Slacker

I tried the ceramic, at and a8. I luv a8 but it was very full. A5 gives it more openness and is imho most versatile. Ceramic is hottest and most crunchy but lacks proper cleans or split.

I know this is stupid, but my main gripe with Carvin/Kiesel is that they don't do neck binding... The only guitars I like without neck binding are Fenders.

Even the Jackson on my avatar has black binding on the neck.

On topic, one day I have to try the PATB3. An excellent excuse to buy a new guitar...

I wish I could find that Ben Stiller picture from Starsky and Hutch I think it was.... Do It!!

IIRC, it wasnt ness designed for bolt on guitars, but to fatten up Floyd Rose loaded guitars. Which, at the time of its design, were normally the bolt on superstrats of the day. (AGain, this is ALL MY opinion..) So, neck thru, bolt on, whatever, I figured it would be ideal to fatten up the tone of that guitar, and it sure did!!

Kinda funny they dont do neck binding as they have tons of options, and the Kiesels offer some pretty elaborate things. I've never seen a bound one tho.

Jol Dantzig

You are absolutely right, BloodRose. I seem to have mixed up the development concept...

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

I don't mind my threads wandering off into interesting topics.

I think the PATB-3 would be sweet in a single-HB'er axe. I need to get another one.

Ultimate Tone Slacker eclecticsynergy's Avatar

PATB3 just sings. Perfect for a Floydcaster. But I bet it'd be wonderful in just about anything that could use a little fattening.
    That hybrid sounds mighty interesting tho...
    "Brains have been washed. Wheels have been greased. Fear has been mongered. Now we prepare for the final stage of our conspiracy theory."