Thread: Full Shred vs Distortion - Tested and a Demo Done

Thumbs up Full Shred vs Distortion - Tested and a Demo Done

Hi guys

I tested both the FS and DD in my awesome RG2820CTVV Ultra Prestige to choose between them. I chose the FS for its katana-like precision and feel. Pinch harmonics were so easy too. Nice cleans were a bonus. I like the DD too for its in your face big, powerful tone but I found the EQ peaking pretty much all the time. Granted I could not move the DD away from the strings as it was so chunky physically that it allowed no room for adjustment! I didn't want to route my guitar's cavity either. The FS fit really nicely I must say. That's one of the reasons why I chose it. There was no bad choice here though. Both are awesome pickups! Please watch my video here and tell me what you all think? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT81QDjnLtM
    Subscribe to the channel too please

Default Re: Full Shred vs Distortion - Tested and a Demo Done

Thank you for the review!
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Ultimate Tone Member

I've had a full shred set in my rg921 since I got it 5 years ago.

I swapped one set of pole pieces to fillisters which took a bit of the precision away and added something to the midrange.

Great pickups

As a matter of fact I just got back from my tech with a Jackson DK2 that underwent serious modding, including a new TB-10 for the bridge.

The guitar's body is poplar, so I took a gamble thinking the FS would probably be too trebly for the body (the guitar also sports a maple bolt on neck with a rosewood fretboard, and a Schaller Lockmeister tremolo system).

Turns out it's one of my most balanced guitars, soundwise. I have a Distortion on a Dean Old School V (mahogany body and neck, rosewood fretboard), and I find the Distortion to be way over the top on that guitar, actually too trebley and gainy.

The FS does have a very "80's" sound going on, but on a very different angle than a JB, for instance. No mid bump at all (I do like the JB, preferably on alder bodies).

Tried it with my gear today in rehearsal, and I was absolutely floored by the FS. Powerful but easily manageable, lods of sustain, very present but tight lows. And yes, my sloppy playing was way more evident than with other guitar/pickup combos I own.

I've been considering buying a basswood seven string, and a FS set will probably be the pickups going in. Now I'm very curious about the FS neck.

Congrats to the OP for the sucessful swap, we should probably start a Full Shred brotherhood.
    Last edited by Synapsys; 06-20-2019 at 03:33 AM.
    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics), PRS SE CU 24 Flametop (TB5/PGn), Ibanez RG870RWZ (PATB set), Jackson DK2M1H (TB4) & DK2 (TB10/VRn/CRn), LTD ST213A (HRb/STK-S4 m&n) & TE212 (Hot Stack/A2Pn), Dean Cadillac 1980 (59 set) & Old Skull V (TB6/JazzN), Squier VM JM (SJM-1 set);Effects:Korg Pitchblack Poly, Digitech Drop, MXR CAE MC404 & EHX Wailer wahs, L6 HX FX & Stomp, Fender FVP-1, EHX Volume Pedal; Amp & Cab:H&K GM 40 Dlx, L6 DT25 cab;

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Thank you for the review!
    You are welcome and thanks for watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Juanhanglo View Post
    I've had a full shred set in my rg921 since I got it 5 years ago.

I swapped one set of pole pieces to fillisters which took a bit of the precision away and added something to the midrange.

Great pickups
    That is interesting. Great pickups indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Synapsys View Post
    As a matter of fact I just got back from my tech with Jackson DK2 that underwent seriour modding, including a new TB-10 for the bridge.

The guitar's body is poplar, so I took a gamble thinking the FS would probably be too trebly for the body (the guitar also sports a maple bolt on neck with a rosewood fretboard, and a Schaller Lockmeister tremolo system).

Turns out it's one of my most balanced guitars, soundwise. I have a Distortion on a Dean Old School V (mahogany body and neck, rosewood fretboard), and I find the Distortion to be way over the top on that guitar, actually too trebley and gainy.

The FS does have a very "80's" sound going on, but on a very different angle than a JB, for instance. No mid bump at all (I do like the JB, preferably on alder bodies).

Tried it with my gear today in rehearsal, and I was absolutely floored by the FS. Powerful but easily manageable, lods of sustain, very present but tight lows. And yes, my sloppy playing was way more evident than with other guitar/pickup combos I own.

I've been considering buying a basswood seven string, and a FS set will probably be the pickups going in. Now I'm very curious about the FS neck.

Congrats to the OP for the sucessful swap, we should probably start a Full Shred brotherhood.
    Yeah we should start an FS brotherhood, bro

thanks for watching too.

As for the tone: I agree, the FS is well balanced and has a distinct '80's metal vibe going on which I love but it isn't like the JB which I also love in this case. That harsh midrange spike the JB is known for isn't present on the FS. the other thing I love about the FS is it's range - as in the response it has via the volume control. It's quite varied! The scream on 10 is awesome. The pinch harmonics yo! It sounds big enough without sounding "a bit too much" like the Distortion. That being said however... in my video I attributed the volume difference to the steep difference in pickup height. Man the Distortion was a really tight fit too! There was no way that I could lower it from the strings without routing my beautiful Ultra Prestige that's practically a J.Custom's cavity. The FS however was an easy fit and ended being quite far from the strings. I'll re-fit it with some rubber spacers underneath the screw mounts themselves to give it more lee-way. this guitar of mine brings out the best in pickups too I must say

Once again, there was no bad choice here and I really do like both pickups a lot.

I'm a DiMarzio guy first then a Seymour Duncan guy and if I think about it deeply, the FS reminds me of an Evo but with less mids and perhaps a tad lower output although they're very similar in power.

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Nice review and video. Good audio. Tasteful licks. What's your recording chain?

Ultimate Tone Member chris effect's Avatar

I'm biased because the SH6 is my favorite pup at the moment. The full shred sound better for cleans and maybe leads, but for rhythm it's a tad bit boxy sounding

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    Nice review and video. Good audio. Tasteful licks. What's your recording chain?
    Thanks a lot! I recorded my amp directly via Samson condenser mics into Cubase LE5. For FX I just used my Zoom Choir 5050 for delay on the solos.

Quote Originally Posted by chris effect View Post
    I'm biased because the SH6 is my favorite pup at the moment. The full shred sound better for cleans and maybe leads, but for rhythm it's a tad bit boxy sounding

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Understandable since your biased towards it but honestly there's no bad choice here between the DD and FS. It's just that the DD was way too close to the strings and was a really tight fit. Otherwise it did sound great and rocked for rhythm in particular. Then again if the FS was that close to the strings there would have been considerably more heat from FS too. Currently the FS is comfortably far from the strings. I love the precision and tightness of the FS. Great harmonics too. I love the DD's power too.

The FS is one of my favourite pickups, both bridge and neck. The bridge is so super tight, and like a surgeon's knife. And the bonus is that it's not too high output either. Works great for a range of heavier genres. The neck model has such a great lead tone too.

Quote Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
    The FS is one of my favourite pickups, both bridge and neck. The bridge is so super tight, and like a surgeon's knife. And the bonus is that it's not too high output either. Works great for a range of heavier genres. The neck model has such a great lead tone too.
    It's fast becoming one of my favs too based on the same things you said. Instead of surgeon's knife I prefer the term "katana"
    All I need now is the neck model to complete my RG2820's set.

Perfect timing, I have a FS neck and a DD bridge, I was playing a bit of Holy Wars last nigth and I was like "it sounds great but gotta be extra careful with my muting technique" then I wondered if a FS would make my life easier for that kind of stuff.
    Who took my guitar?

Quote Originally Posted by IMENATOR View Post
    Perfect timing, I have a FS neck and a DD bridge, I was playing a bit of Holy Wars last nigth and I was like "it sounds great but gotta be extra careful with my muting technique" then I wondered if a FS would make my life easier for that kind of stuff.
    Talk about a killer combo! I find the FS is better suited to that older Megadeth tone actually and I also preferred it for the Tornado of Souls solo. The DD sounded great too and was very defined albeit a bit too much. The palm mutes are super tight on the FS, great stuff. Without careful muting, extraneous noises can come thru quite clearly since the pickup is so transparent making it great for precise lead work. The FS would slay in lower or drop tunings as a result! I keep coming back to this point though - the DD was way too close to the strings...

P.S. Love your Iron Maiden Murray and Harris' live gif!
    Last edited by RolanTHUNDER; 06-25-2019 at 11:49 PM.