Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: YOU play in a Hard Rock band . . . what pick up would you put in this guitar ?

Default Re: YOU play in a Hard Rock band . . . what pick up would you put in this guitar ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirion View Post
    My first thought as well. Not having a bridge humbucker is going to be a real challenge, and something that can do bright is the obvious solution.
    Thus my choice of the Deathbucker. Even in the neck position with the tone rolled all the way off and a sick amount of distortion, it doesn't mud out.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

I poop in my KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Default Re: YOU play in a Hard Rock band . . . what pick up would you put in this guitar ?

Man - this thread has sown more dissent than anything the Democrats or Republicans could ever do!!!

We are all over the freaking map here...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    Man - this thread has sown more dissent than anything the Democrats or Republicans could ever do!!!

We are all over the freaking map here...
    Unlike politics where both sides are usually wrong, in this thread most people are right!

I like the Pearly Gate and Deathbucker ideas. Although any PAF will do doom/stoner.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Ok, I'll play.

PATB-1n. Push-push pot for series/parallel. Push-push pot for split. Outboard EQ, compressor, and then the dirt pedal/OD du jour.

Is "router" an option?

Quote Originally Posted by Xeromus View Post
    Is "router" an option?
    I wouldn't. Why take something that's fairly unique, and turn it into a dime-a-dozen axe? I don't think I've ever seen a single-neck LP before.

Which begs the question: Is this thing original? Was it made that way from Gibson?

Quote Originally Posted by Xeromus View Post
    Is "router" an option?
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    I wouldn't. Why take something that's fairly unique, and turn it into a dime-a-dozen axe? I don't think I've ever seen a single-neck LP before.
    I haven't seen one either, but I wouldn't play that enough to justify keeping it regardless of which pickup was installed. So that leaves router / craigslist / reverb as the only options for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    Which begs the question: Is this thing original? Was it made that way from Gibson?
    I seriously doubt that it's original, and I'm not 100% sure that it isn't some sort of copy. The trussrod cover, pickup ring, and knobs aren't original, nor are the tuners (or at least the tuner buttons).

I've seen a few carved top LPs with a single bridge pickup, but none with only a neck pickup.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Ah . . . in that case, do the router.

Gibson custom shop does single pickup versions, but the knobs are usually laid out as follows:

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Imperator of Indignation idsnowdog's Avatar

I can only see that guitar being good for two things Jazz or Drone. For Jazz I would put a Benedetto B6 in there and for Drone I would put a Livewire Metal in there.
    Last edited by idsnowdog; 06-15-2019 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PFDarkside View Post
    Gibson custom shop does single pickup versions, but the knobs are usually laid out as follows:

I stand corrected. I've seen R7s like that before, but that R9 is new to me.
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by dystrust View Post
    I stand corrected. I've seen R7s like that before, but that R9 is new to me.
    Never mind, that neck pickup one is a ‘Shop. “I can tell by the pixels.” Lol They cloned the area between the pickups to fill the bridge pickup area and the knob areas are a poor fit too.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by PFDarkside View Post
    Never mind, that neck pickup one is a ‘Shop. “I can tell by the pixels.” Lol They cloned the area between the pickups to fill the bridge pickup area and the knob areas are a poor fit too.
    I see that now. That's a weird looking piece of maple where the bridge pickup should be

I'd love an LP like that, but I wouldn't play hard rock with it.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

Me neither, but I remember when I saw Bush live back when they first hit big and the guitar player was on the neck pickup all night. (I did not bother Googling his name.)
    So one could play grunge on such an object.

I’ve had good results with a paf Pro and a jb in the neck as an alternative for a bridge pickup. They cut enough and I’ve gotten great rhythm and lead tones.

It’s still weird not to have a bridge pickup for playing hard rock though.

A new rout near the bridge.

I poop in my KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Watch this move!

DiMarzio Super2, with an under saddle transducer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

OK I have a legit suggestion

Name:  11486834_800.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  54.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by regan View Post
    OK I have a legit suggestion

Name:  11486834_800.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  54.8 KB
    This would totally work, but I'd opt for an internal kit.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.