Thread: s1 switch to put 2 humbuckers in series out of phase?

Default s1 switch to put 2 humbuckers in series out of phase?

Hey can i use a 4dpt s1 switch to put a pair of humbuckers in series with each other and out of phase?And what if they are 4 conductor?and in a hsh setup?

Thanks

Default Re: s1 switch to put 2 humbuckers in series out of phase?

You should be able to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

I've got it half drawn up. Then I got side tracked. Maybe a bit later. probably tomorrow.

If you look at most Jimmy’s Page wiring diagrams, you would be just combining the phase and series switches onto one big 4PDT switch. Same number of lugs involved and same wiring. If you have HSH, then you need to ensure you have a pickup selector scheme that puts the bridge and neck on at the same time, or you might not hear anything or hear any difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

Quote Originally Posted by beaubrummels View Post
    If you have HSH, then you need to ensure you have a pickup selector scheme that puts the bridge and neck on at the same time, or you might not hear anything or hear any difference.
    Well, it depends. Here's the way I usually do a series/parallel switch. (Singles shown for clarity, but HB'ers would be the same.)

Name:  Ser_Par.png
Views: 27
Size:  3.8 KB

By doing it this way, you effectively take the 3-way out of the equation. It doesn't matter which position the switch is in when in the series mode. But, it only works if you have a master vol/tone. With dual vol/tone, like a normal LP, it becomes a bit more problematic. That's what stopped me in my diagram. I was trying to overcome that. If I can't, it means the 3-way would need to be in the "neck" position for series to work.

P.S. And I should add . . . anyone who wants to put two humbuckers in series, should temporarily hard-wire them that way to hear it. I just don't think it's a good sound. But, to each his own.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-15-2019 at 04:43 AM.

Tone Member

Artie, I think the OP was looking for a combined series / OOP option not just series. Agree Humbuckers in series is not that wonderful but OOP/Series is quite cool.

Its possible to do this with a single push pull but it only works in neck position. I have installed this mod on many guitars for people. It can be used on guitars with independent volume and tones.

The mod is dealt with by me in this thread

https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/...ht=series+OOPs

Hope this helps the OP . Sorry S1 switches are not my strong point.

I had thought my posting days were over as there is now so much talent on this forum but felt I could make a possible useful contribution here.
    Last edited by Gstring; 06-15-2019 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gstring View Post
    Artie, I think the OP was looking for a combined series / OOP option not just series. Agree Humbuckers in series is not that wonderful but OOP/Series is quite cool.
    Yup, got the first part. But I didn't realize that 2nd part. I'll go ahead and finish my S1 diagram. Just as soon as my weekend honeydoo list is finished.

(Which probably means Monday.)