Thread: Will these series of books make me a versatile player?

Tone Member

Default Will these series of books make me a versatile player?

I like all types of music including world music Mexican, German etc..
    Iím going to focus now more in playing than gear ( biggest mistake ever lol)

So what do you guys think of these books that Iím thinking of purchasing and making a routine out
    Of them.

For rock and metal: the Troy Stetina metal series

For blues: John Ganapes blues series

For jazz: Mike bakers jazz course. That one is only sight reading is it good for beginners?

So for other genres I donít know what to do or get. I wanna play all styles but thereís allot to
    Learn. Any other way that can help me? Or digesting each of these book a day maybe 30m will
    Help? Or itís to much?

Default Will these series of books make me a versatile player?

Havenít heard of those books, but IME your enthusiasm and drive will do more to make you become versatile than the specific choice of book. Your own interest will cause you to draw more out of the books and explore further than anything a book presents. Whatever books you get, get an equal amount of music/listening material to make the learning from the books come to life and propel you further. Usually hearing and seeing other players live spurs more energy to equal or surpass them. Go to shows, watch videos, listen to recordings, and get the books; as much as you are able. Dont set a time schedule. Do as much as you want, and if you get tired or not interested, stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

Default Re: Will these series of books make me a versatile player?

Energy flows where attention goes. The books are not the only source to to learn, but somebody needs to start from somewhere. Hope the books ignite your passion.

I like learning guitar from books . . . but have found that it's tricky to figure out exactly what ones will be most beneficial to you. And books that seem great at one stage of your playing will be useless later on. Books that are useless later on, will be super beneficial as you become a better player. My advice would be to buy a few that sound like stuff you're interested in, and then go through them one by one. Try to do the exercises, try to understand the theory. You will often get stuck. If you find yourself stuck for more than a couple weeks, either move to a different section of the book, or start on a new one. Come back to the part of the book you were stuck on in a couple years and see if it is making more sense.

As far as versatility goes . . . I'd rather be really, really good in one or two areas than so-so in dozens. I'm not saying don't try new things obviously, but figure out what sounds you like and what kinds of music/techniques make you happy and spend most of the time there. Don't try to force a love of something you hate, because that'll kill your drive to keep learning.

That said, there are certain basics that once learned will let you pick up any style of music quickly . . . learning the notes on the fretboard, learning how to build chords, learning arpeggios, learning about diatonic chord progressions, learning to solo melodically, learning about chord substitution, learning how to use modes, etc. all fall into this realm. Once you have this, the difference between genres becomes more about a few specific habits that are easily picked up. . . in blues you'll end up bending strings a lot and playing a minor third and b5 over a major progression. In funk you'll end up doing a lot of 16th note strumming patterns and using 6ths, 7ths, and 9th chords. In metal you'll end up playing very quickly, use some of the darker sounding scales (Aeolian, Phrygian, Harmonic Minor) and probably figure out specific guitar techniques (whammy bar/pinch harmonics/tapping). That sort of thing.
    Last edited by GuitarStv; 06-17-2019 at 07:13 AM.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

It's hard to advise not knowing your level & with such a broad description of being versatile in Jazz, Blues & metal, being versatile just in one is a lifetimes work tbh

The John Ganapes blues you can use books are excellent I have a few of them, the jump in difficulty to 'more blues you can use' is quite a bit.

I' also recommend:
    The MGBU fluid soloing books really unlock the neck & with context & can be used as practice routines & I personally found beginning & intermediate fingerstyle by Alfred good if you want to pursue that.

IMO most importantly:

Learn the Major scale inside out & backwards in all positions
    Learn the CAGED system
    If you can't already learn how to harmonise the Major scale (eventually in all keys but start with A,C,D, E & G):
    https://www.fundamental-changes.com/...e-major-scale/

(this is pretty much the template for all western music genres)
    Everything will follow from those foundations.

Chord etudes are great learning tools but can get real difficult real fast

Don't discount learning songs the 'play like' series are cheap, with simplified arrangements but not overly so & there are lots of them you can get through the less challenging ones in a few days, but as it contextualises the theory you're learning the value is priceless

Best course is obviously to find a good teacher,

Quote Originally Posted by regan View Post
    The MGBU fluid soloing books really unlock the neck & with context & can be used as practice routines
    +1

Both the arpeggios and chord-melody books in this series were excellent. There's foundational stuff there that I use constantly in my playing.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

I liked the Stetina series and learned a lot, but the funny thing is, it teaches a very traditional “correct” style, and I’ve discovered and use the much less correct thumb over style a la Hendrix and SRV now, and I enjoy being able to sound more like the rock and blues rock songs I was hearing.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Ultimate Tone Slacker

I say, all information on learning guitar is useful -even if it just makes you realize that book series kinda sucked, it has benefited you in your development of understanding and taste.

personally, I think a lot of growth in guitar can be had from listening to totally different styles than your main Rock/blues'Jazz/Metal interests.

Here are some of the ones that had big influence on me
    Ali Farke Toure "the Source" or other west African roots guitar -especially Malian.
    Zoot Horn Rollo on Captain Beefheart Records or other psychodelic stuff like Yes 1970-74
    anything Robert Fripp -especially project work -like with Eno
    anything Leo Kottke
    Japanese Koto music
    James Blood Ulmer
    Jazz Weirdos
    Nepalese Buddhist monks chants stuff
    Classical music -especially Stravinsky and Wagner
    Middle eastern semitone stuff.
    ďFor me, when everything goes wrong Ė thatís when adventure starts.Ē Yvonne Chouinard

Yes, those books will make you a great versatile guitar player. Magic. And the real miracle is that you don't even need to read them. Just put one under your pillow at night and info will be absorbed through osmosis. Scientists don't really understand all the principles and how they work, but in many double blind studies it has been shown to be true.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.