Thread: Artie's de-mud mod, how to get even more low cut?

Default Artie's de-mud mod, how to get even more low cut?

I've tried Artie's de-mud mod with a .01uf cap and a 510k resistor. I like the results, but I'd like to cut even more lows. What cap and or resistor values might I be looking for?

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Default Re: Artie's de-mud mod, how to get even more low cut?

To cut more lows, you lower the cap value. So, try a .001uf, or .002uf. If that's too much, then at least you know a lower limit. It's kind of hit or miss to find just the cut you want.

Quote Originally Posted by kingrazor View Post
    I've tried Artie's de-mud mod with a .01uf cap and a 510k resistor. I like the results, but I'd like to cut even more lows. What cap and or resistor values might I be looking for?
    As ArtieToo said, lower the value for more cut.. But you can also increase the resistor value to help get a deeper cut (keeping the cut freq lower) versus a wider cut. Here is a thread that might help, it has a good visual explanation: The 'Tight' control - simple passive bass cut
    Last edited by Downrazor11; 06-17-2019 at 10:32 AM.

So I lowered the value of the cap from .01 to .0022uF and that made a pretty significant difference. Perhaps too much so even. For the first time I can remember, my neck pickup actually has a bit less bass response than the bridge pickup. Neat!

I might bump up the value to .0033 or .0047 because even though I find the two fairly balanced now, the middle position has suffered a bit. Hard to describe how exactly.

Anyway, this has definitely been more worthwhile than buying and trying more and more pickups.
    Last edited by kingrazor; 06-21-2019 at 02:14 PM.

I think I've found a winning combo: a .0047 cap with a 1 meg resistor. Now the bridge and neck are very well balanced.

Only problem is, the middle position doesn't sound as good anymore. Sounds a bit thin and sharp. Also, now the tone control turns the neck pickup down.