Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Switch for Pickups

Default Switch for Pickups

I bought a body/neck that I stripped and refinishing... configured for a SSH with a vol/tone and 5-way.

I decided to give Warman a try, and grabbed a pair of Twin Loco's and a G-Rail Hybrid... which is sorta their take on a P-Rail more-or-less.

I want to be able to split the G-Rail and wanted to add a 3-way mini-toggle. Another forum recommended ON-OFF-ON SPDT... which I'm finding aren't sold much on the few sites I use for parts, seems more common to get an ON-ON-ON DPDT or ON-OFF-ON DPDT... which switch would I need?

Goal is that the 3-way mini is setup for SINGLE-BOTH-RAIL.

Just looking for some help picking the correct 3-way toggle switch and well, eventually wiring help. Plus... pots... 500k? 250K? combo of the two?

When done, I'm hoping for all these combos with the 5-way switch

1 - NECK
    2 - NECK+MIDDLE
    3 - NECK+BRIDGE
    4 - BRIDGE+MIDDLE
    5 - BRIDGE

Add in the 3-way mini on the Bridge, should give 11 combos total.

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Default Re: Switch for Pickups

A DPDT can always be substituted for a SPDT. You'd just use half the switch. But for what you want, the DPDT might be better. When you say "both", is the single and rail in series or parallel?

Edit: I was just reading about that pup. Apparently, it has six wires. An individual pair for each coil. So how you wire it is up to you, but affects which switch you get. Let us know what config you want.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-17-2019 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    A DPDT can always be substituted for a SPDT. You'd just use half the switch. But for what you want, the DPDT might be better. When you say "both", is the single and rail in series or parallel?

Edit: I was just reading about that pup. Apparently, it has six wires. An individual pair for each coil. So how you wire it is up to you, but affects which switch you get. Let us know what config you want.
    Honestly never played with anything like this before so not sure which I want or why. Everything I have is a basic Strat/LP setup. I mostly play 70/80's rock... Boston, Ozzy, G'n'R... this guitar I bought just to play around with, maybe make something a bit more towards a shredder, despite my lack of shredding.

EDIT - I'll also mention I'm open to ideas. My initial plan was to get a pair of push/pull pots (which I have) and have it so when pulled out the vol shuts off the single coil and the tone shuts off the min-humbucker. So both pots pushed in, boths sides of the pickup are on, and I guess both pulled out, both sides off.

Or hey, maybe

IN-IN = Series
    OUT-IN = Mini Humbucker Only
    IN-OUT = Single Coil Only
    OUT-OUT = Parallel

and forget the 3-way mini?

5-way I got with the pickups, same as the pots....

5-Way Switch

Pots (A500K and B500k)
    Last edited by THRobinson; 06-17-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Oh... just found this... lookin' pretty close to what I'm after.....or better?

Name:  P-Rails Modern Player Tele.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  49.3 KB