Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Which vintage style Tele pup sounds like the Antiquity 1 with just a bit more bite?

Default Which vintage style Tele pup sounds like the Antiquity 1 with just a bit more bite?

I recently put an Antiquity 1 bridge pup in an alder body/ pau ferro neck partscaster.

I love the overall EQ of this pup (full sounding: not too much bass, but just enough), but can't get it to cut well
    playing with my band.

Any suggestions on something that cuts a bit more, but has a similar EQ to the Antiquity 1? On the Duncan
    site it looks like the Vintage 54 might do the trick?

This guitar leans toward the warm side, so I'm not that worried about the highs of the '54.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Default Re: Which vintage style Tele pup sounds like the Antiquity 1 with just a bit more bit

welcome to the forum! i love the ant I tele bridge pup, part of the reason i like it is that it isnt overly bright. the vintage 54 or broadcaster would have a little more bite but the eq is going to be different. what other pups are in the guitar?

Default Re: Which vintage style Tele pup sounds like the Antiquity 1 with just a bit more bit

Welcome to the forum!
    The problem is generally when you add more power, you lose the 'cut'. Maybe add something like a Pickup Booster pedal? That being said, the Vintage Broadcaster would have more power, but also cuts a lot, too.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Thanks for your thoughts and the welcome!

I'm running a the 4 knob Spark Booster to bring some punch and grit. The neck pickup is a Twang King. No issues with that pup.

I have a Fender OV in another tele which can go from smooth to biting when needed.
    The Antiquity 1 through the same setup is just a bit too smooth despite lots of tweaking.

Does anyone find the Broadcaster too bassy? It sounds like it's got the snarl.

i dont find it overly bassy. the antiquity is nice for somethings but doesnt work too well with warmer guitars with some amps. through a bright fender amp, i love mine

Good to know about the Broadcaster pup. I'm using a prri with a 12" Eminence Legend 1258.
    Warm guitar into a pretty bright amp.

Any other opinions on the Vintage 54? Tight lows?

Could try a brass nut & saddles first?

i find the 54 to be tight on the lows, yes. if you like the neck pup and guitar, i wouldnt start messing with the saddles and nut.

Thanks for clarifying the lows of the 54.