Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Duncan PUís for Low Tunings

Default Good Duncan PUís for Low Tunings

I recently purchased an Agile AL-3020 27Ē scale. I donít think the pickups are trash... however they arenít great. They might be good for someone playing low gain and clean but they donít break up the greatest and can be somewhat muddy and or thumps (not in a djenty way, like a flubbery way). Good pickups for Jazz and such (small high end). They are A5 pickups and sound similar to the pro-buckers in Epiphones.

I play; emo (Think Hawthorne Heights and Silverstein), post-hardcore (think Thursday), and hardcore/metalcore (think Knocked Loose and A Day to Remember).

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imperator of Indignation idsnowdog's Avatar

Default Re: Good Duncan PUís for Low Tunings

The Full Shred is good at downtuned Metal.

A Jazz/Custom set, or Black Winters will do a great job, too.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    A Jazz/Custom set, or Black Winters will do a great job, too.
    Is the black winter available in covered?
    How are P-Rails with drop Aish tunings?

Quote Originally Posted by idsnowdog View Post
    I think this will likely be what I got with, do you have any personal experience with other pickups in low tunings?

Quote Originally Posted by Calsip View Post

The Black Winter is available covered. I don't think you'd get the benefit of the P-Rails if you use a lot of distortion all the time.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    The Black Winter is available covered. I don't think you'd get the benefit of the P-Rails if you use a lot of distortion all the time.
    I haven't heard P-Rails with low tunings, I wouldn't be surprised if some people dislike series mode, given a fair number (particularly in the PAF fanatic crowd) already think it's too fat at normal tunings. But P-90s and the parallel mode likely would hold up fine. I've heard people do downtuned metal in a number of flavors with P-90s, it was awesome, though I wouldn't care to do it without a good noise suppressor on hand... But that can be an issue in some genres even with hum cancelling pickups.

I don't go lower than D or C#, but a P-Rails in series does a great AIC grind. It isn't super tight, so it may not be great for really low tunings.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by dystrust View Post
    I don't go lower than D or C#, but a P-Rails in series does a great AIC grind. It isn't super tight, so it may not be great for really low tunings.
    I donít think Iím going to be using the p-rails in here. I think I may be going the black winter or full shred route. The crazy part is Iím not going super heavy gain with this tuning. Iím going to be playing more Hawthorne Heights and early ADTR riffs. Power chords with add9 type of riffs. So I do think that full shred might be better but Iím not sure. I want that single note articulation for a lot of hammer ons and slides.

Quote Originally Posted by idsnowdog View Post
    I agree with this! I'd also second a Distortion for that. The JB is surprisingly good at down tuned metal actually. I experienced this in my ESP V which came standard with a JB/'59 and I played it in drop b. It cut through the mix quite well and handled the thick low end of the strings quite well too. Still, FS first then Distortion or maybe the other way around - depends

Imperator of Indignation idsnowdog's Avatar

I think this will likely be what I got with, do you have any personal experience with other pickups in low tunings?

The Lawrence 500XL is ok. The Duncan Distortion is good. The Dimarzio X2N and 7-string Evolution are ok, the 6-string Evolution has a brass baseplate and has a warbly low end with down tunnings. I have a baritone with Mighty Mite Motherbuckers with A8 magnets which is great.

Don't forget the Alternative 8. Or the Sentient for the neck spot.
    Also, Dimebucker or Invader.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

So I think general consensus is that I should use a Full shred, Black winter bridge and then a lot for thenneck?

Flubby as all hell
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

For tuning that low I actually prefer a pickup that is tighter and doesnt have a big bottom. Pickups like the C5 can get flubby really fast. Invader is nice but isnt super tight unless modded.

For off the shelf offerings the black winters are hard to beat. The blackouts are rad for low tunings also. Same with the nazgul
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

BadHairDayologist Empty Pockets's Avatar
    repeated exposure to high sound levels (more than 80 decibels)

I've used P-Rails in an SG tuned to drop A with great success, mainly in P90 mode until I'm ready to be extra sludgy

My Electrical King Buzzo has Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells in it and it is by far my best-sounding guitar for low and heavy riffs but it's also made from aluminium so your mileage my vary.

The SG with P-Rails in it now used to have a CustomCustom in it, and I'm in the middle of putting one into a Flying V I scored with a Phat Cat in the neck position. I love P90s so Phat Cats and P-Rails get a lot of love from me, and I find that the Alnico 2 magnets and inherently boosted mids of the Phat Cat and the CC balance out the boomy lows many downtuned players complain about.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Ultimate Tone Member chris effect's Avatar

Duncan distortion is my favorite pickup out of all my guitars in drop C. It's edges out the black winter & nazgul IMO. Dimebucker is really good for clarity though

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

So how would a nazugal/pagesus or whatever be? I want tight, I want articulation, I would like to have a sufficient output to be able to play with dynamics.

So how would a nazugal/pagesus or whatever be? I want tight, I want articulation, I would like to have a sufficient output to be able to play with dynamics.

Nazgul is a cool low tunings pickup you would probably dig it. Though i will admit things like BKP Aftermath, EMG81X and the blackouts are much tighter. As everyone has a different definition of enough and too much I cant predict what you would think. I can say in my opinion for low tuning articulation you cannot beat the BKP aftermaths. But i still dig the Nazgul. I think the way to put it is the Nazgul is just a scosh looser and more growly in the mids.

oh and the titan and igno pickups from dimarzio are also worth serious consideration.