Thread: 500k Versus 1Meg Ohm Pots

ObsoleteChickenPickingologist Butch Snyder's Avatar

Default 500k Versus 1Meg Ohm Pots

I have a set of pickups that came in a Telecaster, Fender Vintage Noiseless. The guitar came stock with 1Meg Ohm volume and tone pots. They sound great to me. I have another Telecaster that I'm putting a Little 59 in the bridge and a Fender Vintage Noiseless Strat pickup in the neck position; with a 3-way blade switch.

If I use 500k volume and tone pots, will I hear much, if any, difference between 500k and 1 Meg Ohm pots?
    -Butch

Super Toneologist DavidRavenMoon's Avatar

Default Re: 500k Versus 1Meg Ohm Pots

1 megohm will sound brighter and have a little more output. Similar to no volume control.
    However when you turn down a 1meg pot you place more series resistance between the pickup and output jack, so they can get a bit muddy faster.

But it’s not a big problem as you probably found by using your other guitar. It’s a good way to squeeze a little more top end out of overwound pickups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People say there’s a difference - and there is - I just don’t think it’s an important one. I’ve had a few guitars I’ve switched back and forth between 250k, 1 meg, 500k etc. Trying to ‘fix’ a mellow guitar or ‘tame’ a bright guitar using pot values alone never went far enough for me.

Even on a Jaguar, switching between the rhythm circuit with a 50 (five zero) k pot, and the lead circuit with a 1 meg is borderline subtle at most settings. 1 meg pots seem to have a less optimal taper though, whether linear/log.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

ObsoleteChickenPickingologist Butch Snyder's Avatar

Installed a new control assembly using 500k volume and tone pots with a .047uF cap. Both pickups sound good and are balanced.
    -Butch

glad youre happy with the setup!