Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New guitar question

Default Re: New guitar question

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
    Your wife is a genius.
    She has her moments ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Outa_Tune View Post
    She is not going to be hurt, she want's me to get the one I want. Trust me, after being married 31 years, we don't play those games anymore.

I can't sell my old strat, it was my first ever guitar and means more to me than anything I can buy, even though its just a '83 squire.

I need to concentrate on playing more/better rather than having a collection of guitars I don't use much. I was surprised how much better the EC Strat plays, I thought my other guitars played just fine but they are not as easy to play. It's my first Maple neck, seems very smooth and the frets are awesome, they seem to grip the strings a LOT less than my others.
    Dude... you’ve been gifted a guitar by someone who loves you enough to do so... it plays better than your existing guitars...

This is a no brained - keep the EV Strat, sell something else (or two) and keep that woman just as happy and loved as she deserves to be.

Two other thoughts:

From me - yes, gear less, play more.

From my missus - beware the woman who says “that’s fine...” (as in “she’ll be fine with me trading”) - it’s the first sign that it most definitely is NOT fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I played it a lot last night and think I'm not going to be able to let it go, it plays and sounds too good. Needs a setup though, GC literally handed her a new guitar that was never opened.

My wife came in and saw me playing it and smiled, so I know she's happy. Happy wife = happy life. (Secret to a long marriage)

I'll sell some stuff or whatever and get a Tele down the road. Right now I have too many guitars and have to walk around them. Think I'm going to turn a few into wall art.

I played it a lot last night and think I'm not going to be able to let it go, it plays and sounds too good. Needs a setup though, GC literally handed her a new guitar that was never opened.

My wife came in and saw me playing it and smiled, so I know she's happy. Happy wife = happy life. (Secret to a long marriage)

I'll sell some stuff or whatever and get a Tele down the road. Right now I have too many guitars and have to walk around them. Think I'm going to turn a few into wall art.
    Correct decision, & now down to brass tacks, were gonna need pics........preferably in a bikini or swimsuit obviously HD & once we've seen the wife some strat pics would be nice too

Quote Originally Posted by regan View Post
    Correct decision, & now down to brass tacks, were gonna need pics........preferably in a bikini or swimsuit obviously HD & once we've seen the wife some strat pics would be nice too
    Let's meet halfway and get some nice contrasting colour bikini pics of the strat!
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

I'll take a few topless pics tonight.

Not you!!!

But I would like sit see some backside images
    You know
    From the back
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

I poop in my KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

"And so she said....." And as we ALL know, when a woman says something, she literally means exactly what she says!

Keep the Strat period. If she wanted you to have the guitar YOU want instead of the gift she chose she would have bought a GC gift card and took you shopping. She didn't do that, did she?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Here's a pic of the new Strat, she wouldn't let me take a pic of her with her top off, sorry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blackie small.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	99247

Name:	20190619_220642.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	99253

Here's some of the rest of the stable.

Name:	Rest small.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	99248
    Last edited by Outa_Tune; 06-19-2019 at 10:34 PM.

Like the toes

That's a Squire, Epiphone, Agile, and what is the semihollow
    I cant quite read that
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

That's a nice Strat. Honestly, I'd keep that as it is. Find new music to play on it that isn't tied to EC.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Here's another thought. I scored the EC Roadhouse Strat from a forum bro quite awhile back. He removed the active tone control circuit. (I would have too.) But that left a Strat with a built-in battery box. Enter the Duncan LiveWire II Classic Strat set. A match made in heaven. It's one of my favorite guitars. Killer Stratocaster tone, and all noiseless.

My 2-cents worth.
    Artie

Quote Originally Posted by ehdwuld View Post
    Like the toes

That's a Squire, Epiphone, Agile, and what is the semihollow
    I cant quite read that
    83 Squire
    Epi SG
    Agile 3000
    Les Paul standard semi hollow

Toes were done by me.

I will say that the new Strat smokes my old one for playability. The neck is in another league for ease of fretting clean notes quickly, feel and overall speed.
    If the new Strat clearly bests your old Strat in terms of feel, comfort and playability - like it sounds like you are saying - then you should keep the new strat and bring in the old one (plus other guitars from your existing collection that you're not hot about) as trade-ins towards the Tele you want. In the long run, comfort and playability are the most important characteristics, in my opinion. You'd also be making your wife "right" in the process by keeping the new Strat - that goes a long way, too.

Ultimate Tone Member

By the way, the single layer pickguard is the older type, used on the original 50's Strats. The multilayer PG came later.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiwoof View Post
    By the way, the single layer pickguard is the older type, used on the original 50's Strats. The multilayer PG came later.
    Al
    Good to know, I thought they just cheap'd out.

Lol, my wife bought me the guitar and said please get something else if this is not exactly what you want. She is fine with me changing it, she want's me to be happy, not to settle for something she picked with no guitar knowledge.
    Either you haven't been married very long, or you don't understand women, or both.

Men think literally. Women think emotionally. A woman will say that to please her man. But if you take her up on it, it will break her heart. She felt very special giving that gift to someone who she feels very special about. Don't ruin your relationship by selling/trading that guitar for anything else and justifying your actions by..."she said I could".
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Just for the record I'm keeping the new Strat. I've been playing it a lot and it just plays soooooo good, and has a great range of different sounds. We've bonded.

Thing that sucks is I now realize how "average" my other guitars play, and on a few I don't like the tone. I actually just finished swapping pup's on my old strat to the everything axe setup, and now I don't like it that much, sounds bland. Think it's gonna get a new neck, conversion to HH and make it my Priest, Ozzy and Sabbath guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    Either you haven't been married very long, or you don't understand women, or both.

Men think literally. Women think emotionally. A woman will say that to please her man. But if you take her up on it, it will break her heart. She felt very special giving that gift to someone who she feels very special about. Don't ruin your relationship by selling/trading that guitar for anything else and justifying your actions by..."she said I could".
    Come on dude.....nobody understands women. (BTW, Married for 31 years)

Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar

You now, women and me, and me and women... Bwoah.

But you are jokig here, right? I mean, thinking about selling such a fine wonderful gift by your woman. And thinking that it doesn't harm her.

I mean... Dude what's wrong with you?