Thread: EMG GTV's...Any Comments?

Default EMG GTV's...Any Comments?

Very, very little information out there on them.
    Seems like a slightly modified 81?
    Rebadged something else?
    No comments whether the bridge and neck are the same thing or are different.
    As I said, very, very little information out there on them.

I have an 85 in a drawer, which I like in the bridge, and was looking for a neck mate for it.
    I found it weird there was so little about them, maybe due to Tipton's health and fading out of the scene?
    I.e. bad timing?
    Just guessing, I really have no idea.

Anyone try them?

Default Re: EMG GTV's...Any Comments?

«EMG is proud to announce the new Glenn Tipton signature pickups, the EMG GT Vengeance Set. Known for their massive guitar tones, Judas Priest inspired generations of metal fans and Glenn was the cornerstone of that sound. EMG pickups were the first Glenn used to gave him the unique ferocity, depth, and clarity that cut through audiences worldwide. Having played the EMG 81 for well over a decade, Glenn approached EMG for a few modifications to expand his iconic metal sound. Always reaching for more, Glenn embarked on a five year journey that led him to his new signature GTV. This humbucker pickup set is unlike any other EMG in tone and feel. Using ceramic and steel magnets, the GTV maintains high output with a rich smoothness in the mid-range. With its tight attack, amazing clarity, and even response across the audio spectrum, the EMG GTV provides the knockout punch Glenn Tipton demands. This signature set is available in our classic black caps or EMG’s new red caps.»

http://www.emgpickups.com/gtv-set.html#info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out this video. To me, based on how it sounds and the explaination, Glenn just took the 81 and "fixed it". Made it sound better.

As far as a neck mate for the 85, I'd go with the 81. I have that setup in my '87 Charvel and it is excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCqWF33_Tf0

The GTV is like 80% "81" and 20% "85" in tone.

I don't know that it actually "fixed" the 81 for me...I still love the 81 for what it is and what it does.

If you found the "85" to be too much of a departure from the 81's core tone, then the GTV is for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Drak View Post
    Very, very little information out there on them.
    Seems like a slightly modified 81?
    Rebadged something else?
    No comments whether the bridge and neck are the same thing or are different.
    As I said, very, very little information out there on them.

I have an 85 in a drawer, which I like in the bridge, and was looking for a neck mate for it.
    I found it weird there was so little about them, maybe due to Tipton's health and fading out of the scene?
    I.e. bad timing?
    Just guessing, I really have no idea.

Anyone try them?
    In Jan. 2017 i tried a pair of the Tipton EMGs in my basswood body Ibanez RG that has a Floyd. I have since determined that i am not a fan of the tamed highs and thudding lows that basswood can produce in some guitars. And the Tipton EMGs did not alleviate either of those issues i was hoping to solve in that guitar. But to be fair, i never did find any pickup that resolved those issues in that guitar.

Like you, i found that i preferred the 85 in the bridge over the 81. The problem i had with the 81, 85, 81x and 85x is that they all had some degree of occasional signal clipping when playing clean tones. The SD Blackouts were better in that regard but still not 100% clip free.
    Last edited by kingswebe; 06-18-2019 at 08:28 PM.