Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What are some iconic solid state amps?

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Default Re: What are some iconic solid state amps?

I don't mind if we lose the "iconic" moniker from this thread. Hearing folks good experiences with SS amps is cool too. But if something is truly notable, by all means mention it.

Is that little Marshall stack the one with twin 1x10's?

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post
    And of course the Rockman.

Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar

- Randall Century 200 (that was the engine during all Pantera live shows, even when Warheads were displayed)
    - Marshall VS head
    - Marshall MG head
    - Marshall MS mini amps

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by rbc View Post
    First rule of Rockman Club is don't talk about Rockman Club.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

I poop in my KISS diapers while I cry that they are mean to me Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

I didn't pick a Randall because I couldn't think of one....there are a few really good ones, but nothing "must own"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by rbc View Post
    We'll ignore this video. But it is a FANTASTIC example of having too many knobs/switches, not knowing how to use them, or record decently...

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    We'll ignore this video. But it is a FANTASTIC example of having too many knobs/switches, not knowing how to use them, or record decently...
    I've never known anyone with a Rockman to have a lot of good tone. It was the DSP tonal equivalent to wanking off in the first position of the minor pentatonic.

Not saying it can't be used for good, it just seemed to attract players of a certain ilk in the 80s and early 90s when they were popular
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    Is that little Marshall stack the one with twin 1x10's?
    It is. The secret to great tone isn't so much a bigger cab, it's running a TS in front to cut the excessive low end. It goes from rather disappointing to a mini JCM800.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by dystrust View Post
    Kinda surprised that no one mentioned this yet:

I had a Marshall Lead 12 combo in about 1986. That was a fun little amp! I used to mix it together with the Rockman headphone amp, putting the lead 12 in the center of the mix, with the Rockman stereo signal straddling it.

Tone Member

A little more, I used a delay pedal in front of the Rockman and Lead 12. The dry signal would go to the Lead 12. The slapback delayed signal would go to the Rockman. After that, I would mix the two signals. I probably tried other things that I no longer recall.

although never reaching iconic status....me thinks the amps that really stand out are the "hybrid" amps...among those the modeling front end amps with output tube section like Fender X2 and the Line 6 Bogner...underrated suppose because of their half and half nature...had a Marshall valvestate technology anp that I used quite a bit...really loved that beast...still not sure what that one little preamp tube accomplished but liked it anyway...

Ultimate Tone Slacker Dave Locher's Avatar
    Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

I know Peavey Bandit came up (deservedly), but what about the Studio 50? The first time I got a "you have a really great guitar sound" comment from a club sound guy, I was running an SG straight into a brand new Studio 50 circa 1987 or so.

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Locher View Post
    I know Peavey Bandit came up (deservedly), but what about the Studio 50? The first time I got a "you have a really great guitar sound" comment from a club sound guy, I was running an SG straight into a brand new Studio 50 circa 1987 or so.
    My opinion is that most of the late 70s and 80s Peavey solid states were average to very good in comparison to most other contemporaries in the same price ranges.

Pound for pound they filled a niche like no other company then.

Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post
    Prolly the most iconic:

Attachment 99414
    . . . hahahaha, i had one untill a few months ago.
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

NO experience with it . . .

. . .but i would love to try the AMT STONEHEAD-50-4 (50W, 4 Channel Solid State Amp)
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Super Toneologist DavidRavenMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    On my old Johnson J-Station, HiWatt, with Fenton speakers, is a roudy preset. (I think it's Fenton.)
    I have a J-Station. The British Stack preset is great!

All those early King’s X guitar tones are a solid state Lab Series amps.

And take Heartbreaker from Led Zep. That’s a solid state Rickenbacker amp. And sometimes Page just plugged into the board.

It’s funny the people who say solid state sucks, but then run their amps clean and get their tone from solid state dirt pedals.

I’ve been using modeling amps for a while. Currently I’m using a Marshall Code 100 combo. Gets a bunch of great tones if you spend the time to tweak it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've owned a couple mentioned here. The Peavey Bandit, I used to own the Bandit 75. I traded that for another Peavey SS amp that was 125 watts (I think). I can't remember the name but I remember it was the same exact size as the 75 but the Overdrive channel was 10 times better. Same controls and layout too. Maybe the Bandit 112? That eventually got donated to my HS after I moved to CA and I had tube amps for a good while.

Within the last 10-15 years I had a Marshall Lead 12 combo. That thing was badass. The Marshall head I had blew the power transformer and I had to use the Lead 12 with the band I was in. So, I wired a jack to the speaker wire from the amp and plugged it in to the 4x12 I had at the time, bypassing the internal speaker altogether. I'll be damned if that thing didn't keep up. Granted, it had to be cranked but it cut and I was heard no problem. And it sounded great too.

The Roland Jazz Chorus is a great amp in itself. You want clean, you got clean.

I saw Randalls mentioned too. I would have to say from there it would be an RG-80 or RG-100. Think Tooth and Nail and early Pantera.

Tone Member

Ampeg VH140C. I’m a tube amp guy through and through and would never have bought any more solid state amps. My neighbor was remodeling his basement and just gave me the 212 combo. I couldn’t believe how good it sounded. I use a rack eq in the loop to shape the tone and I leave it at band practice. Tons of metal guys use these

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    I saw Randalls mentioned too. I would have to say from there it would be an RG-80 or RG-100. Think Tooth and Nail and early Pantera.
    Yeah - I guess RG-100 would be the first/best/most known

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    I've never known anyone with a Rockman to have a lot of good tone.
    You may not "personally" know anyone. But you absolutely have heard recorded tones, said "That sounds fantastic" and it was a Rockman.