Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: What are some iconic solid state amps?

Tone Member

Default Re: What are some iconic solid state amps?

Roland Jazz Chorus 120 and 60 1x12 version
    Tech21 Trademark 60
    Vox mv50
    Marshall valvstate 8040
    Quilter micro head

My Trademark 50 & Trademark 10 are my 2 favorite amps. They did the whole modeling thing before it was digital.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Rex_Rocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    Iconic in a crap tone sort of way?
    Carcass - Heartwork, dude!

Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 07-30-2019 at 09:49 AM.

Super Toneologist DavidRavenMoon's Avatar

The old Johnson amps were good. I have a J-Station and that gets a great Marshall stack tone. I like it better than my Marshall!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arten View Post
    Yamaha also has some great solid state amps!
    I forgot about the Yammy's. Which is funny since I own a Fifty410. Killer amp. Just too heavy to move.

Quote Originally Posted by idsnowdog View Post
    The Rockman was often used as a thickener rather than as a primary amp. Basically they multitracked and one track was the rockman at lower volume and it was there to fatten up the rest. Three albums I can think of that must have done it are Dokken Lock and Key, Ratt Invasion or privacy and Alice in Chains Dirt.
    Are you sure about that? According to Michael Wagener, who produced Under Lock and Key, this is what was George's setup in the studio. His post about it is here, https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high...ynch-tone.html, but I quoted it below.

"Obviously George's tone is coming from the way he plays, out of his hands, but since you asked:

The setup for George's guitar tone on "Under Lock And Key" was as follows:
    We had two Marshall heads and two Laney heads, not sure which models, but one of them was a Plexi. We had cabs in three different rooms: two cabs were placed in the big room at Amigo, one connected to a Marshall, the other connected to the Laney. The Marshall was responsible for the high end part of the sound and the Laney was set to take care of the low end. There were 14 (fourteen) mics set up in that room in various psoitions around the cabinet and some further away to get some room tone. The second Laney was sent into a very dead room and had a Boss chorus pedal in front of it, set to very slight chorus. The second Marshall was sent into a small, tiled bathroom, to add a different room tone. Those 16 mics came in on the MCI 500 console mic pres. They were bussed to one bus and that bus had a Urei 530 EQ on it (best guitar EQ ever). George mentioned that he always gets a great tone with his Fostex 4track recorder when it's in total overdrive, so I asked him to bring it in. So after the 530 everything was sent to the Fostex 4track, which lived under a packing blanket under the console, so nobody would see it. The Fostex was on stunn, completely overdriven and was sent on to the 3M 32 track dig machine from there.

No, I am NOT kidding!!!"
    As for Invasion of Your Privacy and Dirt, I can't argue there but Invasion sounds more like a hot-rodded Plexi to me. The Rockman had a very distinct way of coloring the tone and to me, some dynamics would get lost. When I think of a Rockman, I think of Boston and that's the tone I heard from anybody else using one.
    Last edited by ErikH; 08-02-2019 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    Are you sure about that? According to Michael Wagener, who produced Under Lock and Key, this is what was George's setup in the studio. His post about it is here, https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high...ynch-tone.html, but I quoted it below.

As for Invasion of Your Privacy and Dirt, I can't argue there but Invasion sounds more like a hot-rodded Plexi to me. The Rockman had a very distinct way of coloring the tone and to me, some dynamics would get lost. When I think of a Rockman, I think of Boston and that's the tone I heard from anybody else using one.
    He did, at least, have some Rockman gear in his recording rack at the time:

https://web.archive.org/web/20040410...ockstudio.html

The comments do not match up the photo, though: that is not a Distortion Generator but a Sustainor.

The Fender M80s are fantastic. Greg Howe has been known to use one. They can be found on the cheap and are great sounding loud amps.

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
    The old Johnson amps were good. I have a J-Station and that gets a great Marshall stack tone. I like it better than my Marshall!
    Yup. I have one too. I love the Blackface and acoustic settings. Killer clean tone. My friend liked it so much, he snagged one too.