Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a new 1x12 tube amp under $1000. Any thoughts?

Mojo's Minions Lake Placid Blues's Avatar

Default Re: Looking for a new 1x12 tube amp under $1000. Any thoughts?

What is that farty issue?
    That amp is in my top 3 to purchase
    This can be a problem especially with open back combo tube amps. A closed back cab is less likely to have this problem. It's mostly about how tightly controlled the cone movement is. Amps with tube rectifier or excessive amounts of bass allowed through the signal chain are also more likely to have these types of problems. It can also be problem with amps of low wattage. A Vintage 30 or another powerful magnet speaker in an open back combo amp usually helps greatly.

The generation 2 and latter DSLs have a bass resonance control which needs to be tuned to the needs of the playing venue and the music style. Fartyness is usually not an issue with most Marshalls that don't use a tube rectifier as a general rule.

Nobody mentioned the Marshall origin series of amps? An Origin 50 head with a decent 2x12 cab will be more than loud enough to keep up with drums and would sound great for blues, classic rock, and (with an OD pedal) metal.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    Hey OP, if your out trying amps, I suggest trying a VOX AC15 -(to channel switch you have to use a switch pedal with 2 outs) for these reasons:

I've played tons and tons of shows in the last couple of years with my Marshalls and Fenders, and almost every time I use my VOX AC15 i get people freaking out about my sound. I always get compliments. The AC series does sort of one kind of chimey clean to overdrive sound, and its pretty awesome.

They also respond a little differently because of the circuit, so you should definitely try a Class A, no negative feedback, EL84 British amp -they are super different and cool -in case it changes some thoughts on your approach.
    You think the Vox can do metal? I sold my AC10, tried it out a few days before it sold and have been wanting the 15 since. The Vox doesnt have a loop does it? That was the main reason I sold my 10, but for cleans and edge of breakup sounds, man the Vox is a killer amp

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by OLDERBUDWISER View Post
    You think the Vox can do metal? I sold my AC10, tried it out a few days before it sold and have been wanting the 15 since. The Vox doesnt have a loop does it? That was the main reason I sold my 10, but for cleans and edge of breakup sounds, man the Vox is a killer amp
    Well, OP said the amp was primarily for classic rock and blues -with a "little metal" -otherwise I wouldn't have recommended, and it does not have a loop.

My suggestion was to try one why checking out the other amps before purchasing anything, in case that one "thing" a VOX does doesn't totally change his ideas on things -because they have a tone that's different and if you fall in love you may be ok without the loop or the super tight response for metal.

but yeah, not great for typical metal application -unless he revolutionizes metal with it
    Last edited by NegativeEase; 07-12-2019 at 07:08 AM.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

I just picked up a Ampeg GVT15-112. Really sweet amp! If you can find one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by smitty302 View Post
    I've kinda got it narrowed down to a Bassbreaker 30r, Blackstar ht40 or a Marshall DSL 40. It took a long time to save up the money so I really want to get what's best for the music I play. Which is blues, classic rock a little metal and very little cleans. Playing through Strats and SGs.
    I test drove the Blackstar HT40 mark II and Marshall DSL40 a while back but ended up buying a PRS Tremonti MT15. However, I was looking for high gain because I already have a Peavey Classic 30 that covers everything you’re describing. My Classic 30 has upgraded tubes and speaker and sounds great for blues and hard rock.

As far as the Blackstar and Marshall, both sounded great, and you probably can’t go wrong with either. If you’re ordering new, sounds like that’s the case, I know Guitar Center gives you 45 days to return.