Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some help setting up my guitar

Default Re: Need some help setting up my guitar

You really need to have some proper tools for making these measurements.
    A straightedge for checking the neck/truss adjustment and a small stainless steel ruler would probably get you most of the way there.
    You can probably find one of these cheaper if you shop around but this is a great tool.
    https://www.philadelphialuthiertools...-scale-length/

Quote Originally Posted by Reee View Post
    how do i measure the 0.2mm relief with a playing card? (is a playing card 0.2mm? sorry for the dumb question)
    My mistake there, sorry, not a dumb question at all! It's not really an exact way of doing things, but a thinner playing card will get you "in the ballbark" as they say. By no means will it be exact, but if you don't have a feeler gauge, it's better than nothing. If the relief is the only problem, most probably it's not a question of it being 0,2 or 0,25 mm, so for estimation or troubleshooting purposes one might make do with it. Looking back on it I shouldn't have mentioned this playing card thing. Go get a feeler gauge in carparts or DIY store. Shouldn't be more than 5 dollars and if you don't flush it in the toilet it will serve you for a lifetime, making setups easier and more precise. Sorry again for the confusing bit of info!

You don't necessarily need a straightedge to check neck relief. You can capo and use the strings as a straightedge. One of the most useful tools you can have though is a small setup ruler. It has 64th inch scales on both sides for string/pickup height and thousandths scale for neck relief. Your problem could be caused by a twist in the neck, or rising tongue, or high/loose frets, or too low action, or incorrect radius on the string height, or a bad neck pocket angle. Its hard to say unless we could look at it. Can you get good pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
    You don't necessarily need a straightedge to check neck relief. You can capo and use the strings as a straightedge. One of the most useful tools you can have though is a small setup ruler. It has 64th inch scales on both sides for string/pickup height and thousandths scale for neck relief. Your problem could be caused by a twist in the neck, or rising tongue, or high/loose frets, or too low action, or incorrect radius on the string height, or a bad neck pocket angle. Its hard to say unless we could look at it. Can you get good pictures?
    don't have a camera or smartphone, i think i'll just wait until i can go to the luthier, i've got an acoustic on the way so i can play that for a while. (this charvel is my only guitar right now).

thx for all the help though everyone