Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini wah pedal advice

Default Mini wah pedal advice

Hi, I am not a great fan of wah pedals. But I have a little space on my board waiting for a new pedal. So I decided to give wah a chance. I narrowed the choice to two pedals: Morley classic little wah and the dunlop mini crybaby. What do you think about them? Which is preferable? It will be the second in the signal path(straight after the tuner).

Default Re: Mini wah pedal advice

I prefer the tone of Crybabies to the tone of Morleys.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by PFDarkside View Post
    I prefer the tone of Crybabies to the tone of Morleys.
    It is not True bypass right?

The Mini Crybaby is true Bypass. And it has a Fasel inductor and three voicing options. They should make a full size version of it, in fact.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

thanks

True bypass is just about a must for a wah. Without that, wah circuits are famous for taking off high-end, as the signal still runs thru them when the wah is switched off. True bypass runs the signal from jack to jack when the wah's off.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Quote Originally Posted by blueman335 View Post
    True bypass is just about a must for a wah. Without that, wah circuits are famous for taking off high-end, as the signal still runs thru them when the wah is switched off. True bypass runs the signal from jack to jack when the wah's off.
    Agreed.

Super Toneologist

535Q Mini, its true bypass as well i think unlike the regular version.

AMT WH10 Japanese girl or something wah. It optical as welll. Also a good option

I poop in my KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

I don’t put the Wah on my board - I run a little longer cable away from it. I like to put it out up front on stage. When Wah is happening,it’s usually all about me....

Also - not a fan of mini Wah pedals. I like a full foot print. Don’t want to have to finesse it. I prefer the big control.

I love Morley for the “press to go” factor. Probably like Cry Baby tone a little better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Default Mini wah pedal advice

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    When Wah is happening,itís usually all about me....
    Sig worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    Also - not a fan of mini Wah pedals. I like a full foot print. Donít want to have to finesse it. I prefer the big control.
    I found the secret with short/mini pedals is to put your heel/arch over the hinge and let your foot hang off the front end. The travel and movement feels perfectly normal and natural that way. You donít really notice that itís short so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank- View Post
    535Q Mini, its true bypass as well i think unlike the regular version.

Currently production 535Q's are true bypass, but the older ones may not have been.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

It's not easy to be sure if those wah are or not true bypass. There is a bit of confusion on the internet. I am not able to clearly get the right info. Lukely on this forum there are people with a great knowledge. But if now I put the wah pedal, which we assume it's true bypass, as first in chain and then the tuner, I wonder is there any tone suck?

I like the push and go of the Morley but prefer the tone of the Dunlop. My Wah of choice these days is the Jerry Cantrell model. True bypass and an adjustable sweep control.

Put the tuner at the end of the pedalboard. That way when you mute to tune, the entire pedalboard is muted. If it has a buffered bypassed, such as the Boss pedal tuners, that's the perfect spot for it. Crybaby always first but don't be afraid to try different spots.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    I like the push and go of the Morley but prefer the tone of the Dunlop. My Wah of choice these days is the Jerry Cantrell model. True bypass and an adjustable sweep control.

Put the tuner at the end of the pedalboard. That way when you mute to tune, the entire pedalboard is muted. If it has a buffered bypassed, such as the Boss pedal tuners, that's the perfect spot for it. Crybaby always first but don't be afraid to try different spots.
    I have a boss TU-3. I have always thought that the best place for the tuner was the first in chain. I have the delay as last in line. what about the degradation of the signal through the chain?

Quote Originally Posted by EmiAba View Post
    I have a boss TU-3. I have always thought that the best place for the tuner was the first in chain. I have the delay as last in line. what about the degradation of the signal through the chain?
    What does your signal chain look like now and how many pedals?

There's certainly nothing wrong with the tuner being first. It's really preference to be honest. But since it mutes too, why not use it to mute the whole board?

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    What does your signal chain look like now and how many pedals?

There's certainly nothing wrong with the tuner being first. It's really preference to be honest. But since it mutes too, why not use it to mute the whole board?
    Tu3, mxr GT-OD, mxr Super badass distortion, TC electronic mini spark, Boss CE-5, TC electronic flashback 2. And I want to add the wah, mini because of the reduced space available on the pedalboard. Nothing wrong with the tuner at the end. My concern is to give the tu3 the best and clear signal in order to have the tuner working properly

Quote Originally Posted by EmiAba View Post
    Tu3, mxr GT-OD, mxr Super badass distortion, TC electronic mini spark, Boss CE-5, TC electronic flashback 2. And I want to add the wah, mini because of the reduced space available on the pedalboard. Nothing wrong with the tuner at the end. My concern is to give the tu3 the best and clear signal in order to have the tuner working properly
    OK, gotcha. It would be fine keeping it that way. The TU-3 is pretty accurate. If the distortion and OD are off, shouldn't be a problem with it at the end though the delay might throw it off. If you like it at the front, leave it there.

I always kept the tuner at the beginning.
    I felt that if I accidentally left a chorus pedal or flanger on, and the tuner was after that pedal it wouldnít read accurately.

Cat In The Hatministrator stevie_bees's Avatar

I have the Crybaby Mini on my mini-board and it 's fabulous. As PFDarkside said earlier, Dunlop should make a full size version of it. I think it sounds better than most of their full size line of wahs.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!