Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ampli for small gigs

Default Re: Ampli for small gigs

I'd love an H & K but it's too pricey for my pocketbook.

Are you talking new or used prices. A new AC15 (1 12" spkr) is over 750 euros new ($850 US dollars). My personal opinion is that the AC15 is more versatile than a Marshall. I get a lot of crazy good tones out of it...clean to OD. Especially when playing through a small low power speaker.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    I'd love an H & K but it's too pricey for my pocketbook.

Are you talking new or used prices. A new AC15 (1 12" spkr) is over 750 euros new ($850 US dollars). My personal opinion is that the AC15 is more versatile than a Marshall. I get a lot of crazy good tones out of it...clean to OD. Especially when playing through a small low power speaker.
    I guess it depends on where you are looking and which AC15 and online retailers cant advertise below MAP agreements, but in a store you can beat that everyday by 5-15%

-I see the basic AC15s for the 500 Euro range new all the time in the UK, I'm back in UK and Netherlands in a few weeks and I'm sure I'll see them again -also time of year is important as Xmas -amps usually drop 50-150 Euros. Same base AC15 is around 560 Euros right now on Musicians Friend.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    It is the least versatile of all the major offerings in the category -that's what I'm saying.

But go ahead and try to insult me, I'm sure you're the master.
    I'm sorry, that wasn't meant to be a personal insult, it's just an expression.

Quote Originally Posted by Demanic View Post
    I'd love to have one of those. I've heard many great comments/reviews about them. If I didn't already have too many amps, one of those ponies would be in my stable.

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    I'm sorry, that wasn't meant to be a personal insult, it's just an expression.
    I actually appreciate that man, I thought it sounded a little far for the topic.

You're a stand up dude. I apologize when I type out something that reads stronger than the intent as well.

I pecked a mean comeback at first, but decided to erase because it was way to far and would have escalated things and I'm not one to be intentionally personal or aggressive

In detail what I meant was, If you compare the AC15 to a comparable Fender, Orange, Marshall, Black Star etc the Vox has way less interactive options for tone shaping like FX loop etc, and way less tone shaping options like Mids, detail options, internal channel switching etc. They are much simpler than price competitive options, because they are designed to deliver the Vox sound.
    Last edited by NegativeEase; 07-17-2019 at 07:17 AM.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    I actually appreciate that man, I thought it sounded a little far for the topic.

You're a stand up dude. I apologize when I type out something that reads stronger than the intent as well.

I pecked a mean comeback at first, but decided to erase because it was way to far and would have escalated things and I'm not one to be intentionally personal or aggressive

In detail what I meant was, If you compare the AC15 to a comparable Fender, Orange, Marshall, Black Star etc the Vox has way less interactive options for tone shaping like FX loop etc, and way less tone shaping options like Mids, detail options, internal channel switching etc. They are much simpler than price competitive options, because they are designed to deliver the Vox sound.
    You are correct about the available options. I personally wish it had an effects loop. The other options you mentioned aren't important at all to me. I shape my tone with very basic good sounding amps, several great guitars, and some pedals (some modulation pedals, thus the need for an effects loop).
    Last edited by GuitarDoc; 07-17-2019 at 01:41 PM.

Tone Member

How about a Marshall Origin 50c, or the 20c if you want compact/lower wattage.

Tone Member

Katana Artist?

Ultimate Tone Member

VOX AC15. Normal and EF86 channels for use with pedals. Top Boost channel on its own.
    Ampeg GVT15 is awesome. Guytron Bigtone 55 speaker recommended.
    Last edited by 67Mopar; 08-08-2019 at 11:39 AM.

thanks to you all for feedback and advices. Still searching, I tried the VOX AC15 at the local store and I was not so impressed. Really don't know why, but there is something wrong with it I can not define. But I want to try it again with my own guitar. This afternoon I am going to have a go with a Jim Root Terror a guy wants to trade. we will keep in touch

I have to say, now is a great time to get a Marshall-ish sound for not a lot of $$. In the 70s and 80s, that was pretty much impossible. Now you can get that sound at all price and power levels.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.