Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recreating The Majesty 7 (2019) By John Petrucci

Default Recreating The Majesty 7 (2019) By John Petrucci

Howdy,

I'm new to humbuckers and the electronics, but I require to know if my ideas similar to the Majesty 7 will work for my new guitar design.
    I desire;
    - A set of Seymour Duncan Active Blackouts to be able to do humbucker and single coil sounds (split coil I believe)
    - I'm not sure what would happen if I used more than one potentiometer to get more than a 20db boost
    - With everything listed above would it be possible to add a piezo system for acoustic sounds as well

Name:  body-77.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  36.7 KB

Tone Member

Default Re: Recreating The Majesty 7 (2019) By John Petrucci

Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, none of the production iterations of Blackouts can do coil splits. You'd have to contact the Custom Shop to see if they could do something like that for you.

What about the other questions?

You might be able to use passive pickups along with a preamp, which would allow you to split the pickups. I am curious to why you would need a more than 20dB boost- I'd just use a Pickup Booster pedal.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

1) Can't coil-split Blackouts. Some Blackouts models have a jumper you can wire to a switch to change output settings, but it's nothing like a coil split, much closer to a volume boost than anything. If you want splittable actives, check out the Fishman Fluence line

2) The Majesty uses passive pickups and an active boost circuit. This is an ideal setup with the most options for creative wiring and onboard control over the output compared to actives. Hardest part is picking a boost circuit

3) Mincer's suggestion of a Pickup Booster pedal is a good one. It's like taking the internal boost circuit of the Majesty and making it a pedal you can use with any guitar.

4) You don't need more than 20db of onboard boost. If you do, you should look for shortcomings elsewhere in your signal chain/amp setup.

I just like my guitar and amps to have high output, that's why I chose Blackouts

Thank you guys for your time and help, it's very much appreciated.

Ultimate Tone Member

You want more sounds and versatility in an active look at the fishman fluence classics or moderns. 2 different voicings, coil splittable, high frequency cut and great tones.

Would you happen to know if Fishman Fluence classics or moderns would be better than Seymour Duncan AHB-2B?

Ultimate Tone Member

Default Recreating The Majesty 7 (2019) By John Petrucci

That depends what you want? The classics start with a paf voicing and go to a hot rodded set feel for voice 2, like a better jb. I have 2 sets of these and didnít think I would use the paf voice much, but I love the paf voicing with more output.

The moderns have something close to the custom for the passive voice and close to the blackouts for the active voice. I have a set of these in D standard for tighter modern tones.

The open coil versions have a third single coil voicing instead of the high frequency cut. If you
    Add a wire to coil cut to the regular versions you can use both voices with the coil split taps though. So inside coil, outside coil, voicing 1 or 2, HFT. Tons of options and they all sound good.

Either way they have plenty of output and sound like better versions of anything else out there. They are really good. Thereís no compromise with the tones, ones not really good and the others are passible. I have tried all the blackouts sets. I used the live wires metal before they became the blackouts metal for a longtime, those are so hot they donít have a usable clean tone. Anymore I use a boost before or after the preamp for those levels. The blackouts do one thing well, these do many.
    Last edited by allstarrme; 07-17-2019 at 07:32 PM.

I'm thinking you need to reassess your perceptions/requirements of "high output" pickups

The Blackouts are heavy hitters, as are the Fluence Moderns. I can't imaging needing to boost either one for any reason, to be honest.

If you want Majesty flexibility, then the Blackouts are out from the start. You either need to follow Petrucci's formula (passives with active boost) or get the Fishmans

What are you playing through (amp, pedals, etc)? What type of music?

I guess I will agree with the others.
    Blackouts are already ridiculously strong, and by going with a boost pedal you have more control than a built in system.
    Them about output, that kinda personal, but if you even think about splitting, blackouts would again be a bad idea. Go Fluence, or go with Passives.

Oh, an idea:
    You could keep blackouts and have split if you go HSH. Then wire it so it either goes to a 3 way, or to the single coil. There, you got humbucker blackouts and single coil sound.
    "Eventually there will be a beautiful statue there, I just have to chip away" -Satriani

Quote Originally Posted by masta' c View Post
    I'm thinking you need to reassess your perceptions/requirements of "high output" pickups

The Blackouts are heavy hitters, as are the Fluence Moderns. I can't imaging needing to boost either one for any reason, to be honest.

If you want Majesty flexibility, then the Blackouts are out from the start. You either need to follow Petrucci's formula (passives with active boost) or get the Fishmans

What are you playing through (amp, pedals, etc)? What type of music?

I don't have much money for nice equipment. I love Heavy Metal like my favourite bands Megadeth, Slipknot, & Slayer. I currently play a crappy Blue Jackson Soloist X Series, some cheap Academy amp with a Fender speaker inside, and a Donner Giant Metal pedal.

I like the sound of the Fluence modern with all the available options.
    I think I should go with some Fluence 7 string Passive with a Active Blackout sound so I can get clean tones while playing even if the battery dies.

What Fluence Passive Modern 7 string pickup will give me; a Blackout boost when active, gives me a couple voice options, and can be split coiled?

I'll give you my honest opinion since I've got some time to spare:

I'm all for modding guitars at least once in your lifetime, but I'll save you the pain: Take that precious cash of yours and get yourself a good amp to begin with.
    Whether it's tube or digital or something like an old solid state Peavey which do kick righteous amounts of ass, it doesn't matter but it's gotta have good speakers and be purpose built for the styles you prefer.

I have no idea what a "cheap Academy amp" is and I'm guessing I don't know about them for several worthy reasons. I've also never heard of a Fender speaker as a good choice for Metal tones and I bet even an actual Ernie Ball Majesty wouldn't sound so good into your current rig.

You're doing yourself a disservice by focusing so much on a extremely specialized mod like active pickups and onboard boosts, instead of looking at the broader picture. I already did what you did back in 2003 or so and ended up with a great guitar that sounded like ass through my crappy amp. Bought a Roland Cube 60 and it's like the heavens opened for me. I realized what a dumbass I'd been.

A good amplifier is the basic starting point, man. You'll see pros using Mexican Fender and Epiphones here and there, but a great amp will always be a part of their stage. You'll get more bang for your buck, and you'll find that most modern, well built pickups sound great through a good rig.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Diego; 07-19-2019 at 06:32 PM.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2P neck + Custom bridge
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

I honestly just bought cheap stuff at first before I moved up on my guitar choices. I really desire a Marshall 1960A cabinet and a Marshall JVM410H. For Pedals I'm going towards the Killing Floor. I don't like tube amps I rather digital. I'm still very young with a lot of learning to learn along the way, I'm searching for Amps, Guitars, Pickups and Pedals for me to sound very heavy metal. I desire to build my own guitar my way for my own satisfaction, with pickups that will sound beyond amazing through any amp, while having a piezo system for acoustic sounds built in.

I really think some Fluence 7 string pickups will meet my requirements... I'm just having trouble finding which one will do everything I said before;
    - Passive with Active boost (like Blackouts)
    - A couple voice options
    - And can be split coiled

I get the desire to build yourself something cool and custom, but you are literally wasting your money worrying about pickups at this point.

You need a better amp first, be it digital or otherwise. A custom guitar is still going to be incredibly restricted through that horrible Academy amp!

For the price of the Fishman pickups alone, you can get a Boss Katana 50 new or maybe even a Katana 100 used.

Either one would up your sound game and tonal options (including effects) 1000X from where you are now. Heavy metal is a breeze with all of the options available on that amp!

Seriously...AMP FIRST, then we can discuss pickups, pedals and custom guitars!
    Last edited by masta' c; 07-22-2019 at 02:31 PM.

Asshatologist

Look into the d-activator 7's if you have your hearts set on active but you want to keep verstilte switching of an passive setup.

The guys in Whitechapel get some brutal sounds out of their amps.

https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/7-s...vator-7-bridge
    https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/7-s...tivator-7-neck

---

John Petrucci's new set of pickup are pretty freaking versatile. You'd get pretty cleans out of them than you would the d-activator's:

https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/7-s...tcher-7-bridge
    https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/7-s...inmaker-7-neck

---

With your custom route you are going... Seven string, Piezo system, some non-janky boost system.

you might luck out just getting a New/Used Majesty because you are going into proprietary territory and it would be cheaper and done right the Ernie ball way. I can't think of another company with something similar or other products with the polish that EB could give you.

Might luck out with finding a fully loaded JP model in the used market since all the System admin bedroom wankers are getting rid of them for the Majesty.

---

I'm not sure what would happen if I used more than one potentiometer to get more than a 20db boost .... A hot uncontrollable mess.

Last edited by grumptruck; 07-22-2019 at 03:32 PM.

You've sold me on the boss katana 100, is there a Marshall amp thats better than that?

I'm not a fan of Dimarzio's ceramic magnets. I'm going to stick with the Fluence Modern 7 string humbuckers. I'll use the Killing Floor pedal for better control.
    Last edited by WILDSIDE001; 07-23-2019 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WILDSIDE001 View Post
    You've sold me on the boss katana 100, is there a Marshall amp thats better than that?
    Marshall amps at the price range of the Katana 100 are a joke. Absolutely terrible in comparison.
    Go with the Katana, thank us later. That's a great choice actually.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2P neck + Custom bridge
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

I know the katana 100 is better for the sound effects and prices, I've always loved the sound of a Marshall amp that's why I asked. I thank you guys very much for your time and knowledge.