Thread: Problem with tone knobs

Default Problem with tone knobs

I just installed a set of SSL5's in my Strat. I tried wiring it for dual capacitors. The problem I'm having is when I roll the tone knobs all the way back the volume cuts out. I wired it according to a Breja Toneworks tutorial on YouTube. Could I please get some help to correct the problem? Thank you for any and all help.

Default Re: Problem with tone knobs

Welcome to the forum!

What diagram did you use? Also, several clear pics of your current wiring can help the experts here diagnose an issue like this. One time I had a problem similar to this and I tracked it down to a pot that was not working correctly. But I suspect something else is going on here.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

The problem exists with both tone knobs. Just as I get to about 1 (on both knobs) roughly is when the volume drops out. Both caps were recently purchased also.

Name:  Duel caps.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  19.8 KB
    Last edited by Explorer84; 07-11-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Mincer, I believe I've got the same problem you once had with a bad pot.

I took out the second cap designated for the bridge pickup. I rewired it following the diagram that came with the pickups. The tone pot for the neck pickup works fine. When rolled all the way back there's no volume loss. The pot for the middle pickup has no tone change when rolled all the back. There's no volume loss either. Is is safe to say that the second tone pot is bad and needs to be replaced? I do appreciate all of the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer84 View Post
    Mincer, I believe I've got the same problem you once had with a bad pot.

I took out the second cap designated for the bridge pickup. I rewired it following the diagram that came with the pickups. The tone pot for the neck pickup works fine. When rolled all the way back there's no volume loss. The pot for the middle pickup has no tone change when rolled all the back. There's no volume loss either. Is is safe to say that the second tone pot is bad and needs to be replaced? I do appreciate all of the help.
    Your tone control for the middle pickup has no connection to the ground. This could be a shot pot or a bad cap or a bad solder joint.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

I did pull both caps and installed a new one. I'll recheck the ground connection. I believe it's a bad pot. Thanks for your reply Hamerfan.

Let us know if the pot exchange worked.

Hamerfan, you were correct. No connection to ground. I did wire it using the diagram that came with the pickups to make it easier to isolate the issue. Now that I've corrected the problem I'm going to wire it using the dual cap diagram shown previously. For those that do have the SSL-5 set or just the bridge pickup alone. Did you wire it to a tone pot or not? By the way, I really like this SSL-5 calibrated set. Thanks to the guys that gave up their time to help me out.

I like the sound of the SSL-5 with a tone pot, but I am also one of those crazy people that use the tone pot quite a bit.

I make full use of the tone pots myself. After hearing the bridge pickup without a tone pot (due to my issue) it seemed a little too bright for my taste. Once I had things working right, the sound for me, was what I was looking for. I'm still surprised at the cost of the SSL-5 set. Very reasonable to say the least. The cost of the bridge pickup alone is a great deal. I would highly recommend this set if you're looking for pickups that are just shy of a single coil sized humbucker.