Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: '59 vs Air Classic?

Default '59 vs Air Classic?

I got a '59 in the bridge of my san dimas right now, i like it but i feel like it lacks some edge, I remember having a air classic in my strat years ago which had a more edgy tone, maybe the difference in amp/pedal also makes a difference though.

but to get it from a different perspective, how do you guys feel about the '59 compared to the Air Classic? or the '59b as a fusion/shred pickup in general? (think greg howe, guthrie govan, scott henderson etc).

I tried the JB before but i didn't like it at all, too compressed or something.

Default Re: '59 vs Air Classic?

You might look at something like the Custom, for more power, or Pearly Gates for a 59-ish profile but with more highs.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    You might look at something like the Custom, for more power, or Pearly Gates for a 59-ish profile but with more highs.
    hmm not a fan of ceramic pickups.

about the pearly gates, is it lower output than the 59 since it has alnico 2?

i dont hear the pg as having more highs than the 59, more upper mids for sure. the output of the pg and 59 is about the same. when you say "edge" do you mean more high end or just cut through better?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    i dont hear the pg as having more highs than the 59, more upper mids for sure. the output of the pg and 59 is about the same. when you say "edge" do you mean more high end or just cut through better?

Agree. '59B's are on the bright side and in many (most) guitars have a good deal of edge to them. I don't hear PGB's as being brighter or having more edge, but as having more upper mids than a '59B. The guitar/wood/amp combination will have an impact.

For more edge, I'd look at the '59/Custom. Unbalanced coils means more high end.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    I guess what i mean with edge is a little bit more bite or aggression, my guitar has a mahogany body so maybe that's why it's a bit on the warmer smoother side? not sure

An alnico pickup with more edge is the Screaming Demon, just sayin'.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

More bite/edge/aggression than the 59 without being high output and compressed like the JB...
    The first thing that came to my mind was what Mincer said, the Duncan Custom.
    Other best guesses: The 78, 59/Custom hybrid, Saturday Night Special, Full Shred Bridge, Screamin Demon, Maybe the Slash A2Pro Bridge.

I might try a suhr SSH+ and SSV combo as they are supposedly similar to JB and 59 but the SSH+ is less honky and more open, i also really dug guthrie govan's tone with his suhrs so maybe they would suit me.

So you are going to try a pickup because it is similar to two pickups you do NOT like ???

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
    So you are going to try a pickup because it is similar to two pickups you do NOT like ???
    i like the 59 in the neck, and i like the JB on paper, but it's a bit too harsh and compressed

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
    though maybe i made the mistake of getting the TB4 instead of the SH4, i see the TB4 is slightly hotter
    Last edited by Reee; 07-12-2019 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    which pickup is like a hotter and fatter 59? I enjoy the attack and the detail the 59 has, almost single-coily, but i'd like some more output and fatness
    Last edited by Reee; 07-14-2019 at 06:26 AM.

Ultimate Tone Member

Try a screamin demon. Great pickup, terrible name. Or for more output the full shred. The full shred is a custom 5 with better highs.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Archer250's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reee View Post
    which pickup is like a hotter and fatter 59? I enjoy the attack and the detail the 59 has, almost single-coily, but i'd like some more output and fatness
    A 59 bridge.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Myaccount876 View Post
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Quote Originally Posted by allstarrme View Post
    Try a screamin demon. Great pickup, terrible name. Or for more output the full shred. The full shred is a custom 5 with better highs.
    i'll check it out, I had a custom 5 at some point but i didn't really dig the cleans

Quote Originally Posted by Archer250 View Post
    A 59 bridge.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    I have a 59 bridge in the bridge right now

As a step hotter than a 59B yet still with nice cut, I agree the 59/Custom Hybrid is a great recommendation.

Screamin Demon is a good steer too IMO. Don't let the name turn you off. It's somewhat PAF-ish.

Consider the Perpetual Burn too, maybe? Good fusion pickup - to me it's almost like a tightened JB without the compression and hyped upper mids. Cleans up nicely too.
    "Brains have been washed. Wheels have been greased. Fear has been mongered. Now we prepare for the final stage of our conspiracy theory."

or the '59b as a fusion/shred pickup in general?
    Too bad, you can't ask Allan Holdsworth (and he used '59n in the bridge).

Screamin' Demon and '59/Custom hybrid are solid recommendations. That said, this is why I like PG+: '59-ish with boosted output/added mids and edginess yet still in PAF territory.

Actually the sound Allan Holdsworth got with a 59 neck in the bridge is the very definition of fusion & shred.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.