Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Kemper Profiler: Never been more disappointed in a purchase

Mojo's Minions

Default Re: Kemper Profiler: Never been more disappointed in a purchase

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    I don't feel OP has don't enough to evaluate his Kemper's condition to really make a thread determining how disappointed he is like this.

Kemper is a manufacturer, manufacturers will never be perfect -He could have bought a Kemper that has had an electronic failure or a firmware issue. Infant mortality is going to occur on a % of ANYTHING new that is electronic -be it Digital or Analog, Solid State or Valve.

Kemper needs to be engaged and help assess the viability of his unit before casting conclusions IMO
    Quoting myself to add that this may not even be Kemper's fault -it could have been damaged in shipping, damaged in storage, damage when you first got it.

Point is, Kemper needs to be given a chance to assess remotely or shipped back for warranty evaluation.

Ya'll are making me defend a modeling amp company

I guess this is what happens when you are objective and reasonable.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    Ya'll are making me defend a modeling amp company
    Referring to the Kemper as a modeler is almost like using splitting and tapping interchangeable. It’s really not doing the same thing as Fractal, Line 6, etc...

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    Referring to the Kemper as a modeler is almost like using splitting and tapping interchangeable. It’s really not doing the same thing as Fractal, Line 6, etc...
    I formally apologize for besmirching Kemper with a gross and unfair generalization.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

It's actually doing something far easier and the end product is a lot less flexible in the sense that other "modelers" can have models for amps that don't exist (Helix has some).

I get that people love the sound of Kempers but defending it as "not modeling" is splitting hairs and not in a way that's favorable for Kemper.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Pointing out that modeling and profiling aren’t the same isn’t a defense. A statement not being negative doesn’t mean it’s positive.

Which is superior totally depends on your needs. If you want a patch based on your modded Marshall, your particular Fuzz Face, your old Crybaby, and your Echoplex, the Kemper will do that. If you need a hot rodded Marshall, a good fuzz, a good wah, and a tape echo, the modelers will do that.
    Last edited by JB_From_Hell; 07-25-2019 at 12:35 PM.

I have a couple of halfway decent Marshall and Fender amps, but my interest in the Kemper came from the fact that other people, with better fundage that me, have WAY better amps, and if the Kemper reproduces them fairly accurately it would be great to play through them. I think if I had any experience with studio setups and studio monitors, I might have a better grasp of what to do with the Kemper. There are several internal changes to input and output settings I have found that made a big difference to what I was hearing. I was overloading the speakers even though I was not playing loud. The manual is definitely not friendly to non-tech bedroom players. Many of the other rigs you can download from the Kemper website do sound way better than what comes loaded in it which makes me wonder why Kemper does not supply better examples in the Amp since they already have them in packs on their website. The learning curve on this one is huge, but I can already see some improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr B
    The learning curve on this one is huge, but I can already see some improvements.
    That makes sense. My POD XT Live is a dinosaur in this realm, and I’m 3 months into it and still figuring stuff out. The more time I stick with it, though, the closer I get to what’s in my head. The Kemper and Axe-FX don’t have nearly as simplistic interfaces as my POD, and at least 10x the functionality, so I bet it is trying. I bet it winds up being worth the effort, though.

I poop in my KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

My Roland Cube circa 1997 can dial in any sound you really need in about 30 seconds.

Pick model (JC, Blackface, Vox, Bassman, 800, 5150, Recto) gain/vol, adjust BMT, add a delay/verb or some swirl and go.

Or spend 50 minutes with Kemper and still not be satisfied.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
    I have a couple of halfway decent Marshall and Fender amps, but my interest in the Kemper came from the fact that other people, with better fundage that me, have WAY better amps, and if the Kemper reproduces them fairly accurately it would be great to play through them. I think if I had any experience with studio setups and studio monitors, I might have a better grasp of what to do with the Kemper. There are several internal changes to input and output settings I have found that made a big difference to what I was hearing. I was overloading the speakers even though I was not playing loud. The manual is definitely not friendly to non-tech bedroom players. Many of the other rigs you can download from the Kemper website do sound way better than what comes loaded in it which makes me wonder why Kemper does not supply better examples in the Amp since they already have them in packs on their website. The learning curve on this one is huge, but I can already see some improvements.
    Yeah, if you are really into tweaking settings like the input, output, tone stack, etc, something like a Fractal would be a better choice. It models the components of an amp and then 'connects' them, which you can freely swap with components from other amps. It isn't quite the 'snapshot' idea that the Kemper uses.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

What you’re describing here really makes me NOT want a Kemper/AxeFX etc.
    I think the thought of having any amp available at my fingertips is intriguing but I can’t be bothered fixing in/outs and endless tweaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    My Roland Cube circa 1997 can dial in any sound you really need in about 30 seconds.

Pick model (JC, Blackface, Vox, Bassman, 800, 5150, Recto) gain/vol, adjust BMT, add a delay/verb or some swirl and go.

With that mentality, ANYTHING works.

The Kemper can be as easy an any old skool amp. But it’s kind of funny how something digital somehow becomes incredibly hard and difficult just because it’s digital.

I’ve seen guys with big ass midi controlled pedalboards and complex amp switching say «I just wanna play man, not fiddle». Yeah, right! Lol

I guarantee I wouldn’t be happy with the tone for more than about 30 seconds.

Weirdos like me like tweaking stuff. Weirdos like me also like weirdo things like 8 string guitars, which do not sound good with 30 seconds of tweaking. I’m sure I could find an ok sound quickly, but I’m not going for an ok sound.

Quote Originally Posted by justFred View Post
    Meaningless, meaningless....
    Thanks.

Mojo's Minions

Haha. Aceman droppin' some serious bait on the thread trail.

I poop in my KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

I guarantee I wouldn’t be happy with the tone for more than about 30 seconds.

Weirdos like me like tweaking stuff. Weirdos like me also like weirdo things like 8 string guitars, which do not sound good with 30 seconds of tweaking. I’m sure I could find an ok sound quickly, but I’m not going for an ok sound.
    And trust me man - I get and dig tweaking stuff. But I'm not into tweaking for tweaking's sake.

At some point I want to PLAY. More often than not - I want to go right to play.

And what makes you think it only sounds "ok" ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

With every modeler I have owned in the past since the old Fender Cyberdeluxe and Vox Blueface Valvetronix, it has taken a little while to dial in exactly what I like to hear, but when flipping through the factory presets, I never found them completely unusable and harsh in the treble frequencies like this. There are so many variables with this Kemper. Is it a problem with the input settings, global amp settings, output settings, cabinet settings, speaker settings, the studio monitors themselves, their placement in the room, the rigs that the creators recorded, some tweak I need to make to amp presence or treble..... I have tried everything, and by the time I get the harshness dialed out, it has turned the rig I am playing into mud. It sounds like Paul Riario's Guitar World amp reviews on Youtube. I play a lot of the amp he reviews and they sound great when I play them, but the way he EQ's everything it sounds icepick harsh. That is what I am getting from this Kemper on every rig.

Default Kemper Profiler: Never been more disappointed in a purchase

With every modeler I have owned in the past since the old Fender Cyberdeluxe and Vox Blueface Valvetronix, it has taken a little while to dial in exactly what I like to hear, but when flipping through the factory presets, I never found them completely unusable and harsh in the treble frequencies like this. There are so many variables with this Kemper. Is it a problem with the input settings, global amp settings, output settings, cabinet settings, speaker settings, the studio monitors themselves, their placement in the room, the rigs that the creators recorded, some tweak I need to make to amp presence or treble..... I have tried everything, and by the time I get the harshness dialed out, it has turned the rig I am playing into mud. It sounds like Paul Riario's Guitar World amp reviews on Youtube. I play a lot of the amp he reviews and they sound great when I play them, but the way he EQ's everything it sounds icepick harsh. That is what I am getting from this Kemper on every rig.
    Ok, so here is one tip: There is only one adjustment you need to remember. Push and hold amp knob, and adjust «definition». Higher values=brighter. I like it somewhere between 6-8. It seems that most is on 10 by default after profiling. If one doesn’t account for miking positions, a definition of 10 might be harsh!

And remember that what you hear through the Kemper, is the same sound you would hear through studio monitors when an amp is miked up. There is no «in the room feeling». (Unless you play the Kemper through a cab in your room, like any other amp). Profiles made with V30 and Shure SM57 on-axis is going to bright. Try to find some profiles made with greenbacks/creambacks or Royer 121. For instance. For third party profiling dudes that makes profiles that I think would fit you, check out Michael Britt (https://mbritt.com) or the amp factory (http://www.theampfactory.com). (They even have some packs in Rig Manager for you to check out for free).

If I can help you in any way, feel free to PM me. I’ve had the profiler since 2013.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ultimate Tone Member Dark Order Lord's Avatar

****WARNING, DIGITAL MODELLING AMP USERS WILL BE BUTT HURT BY MY OPINIONS... AND COVER BAND MUSOS TOO, WARNING, WARNING....RED ALERT*****... And they will call me and aural snob. Nothing new.

Firstly, I am sorry that you are having issues with your Kemper. There is way, way less issues with a Tube amp, far easier to fix 90% of the time just by replacing a valve. In 26 years of my band, Dark Order, I have only had 2 sets of power tubes fail, 3x preamp tubes, all in V3 of my amps fail, and was informed on this forum yesterday why this happens (increased voltage).

Anyhow this post is my experience and point of view from 26 years of playing live, writing 4 albums, three released the forth is being worked on now.

This is NOT me saying I'm right/your wrong, or vice versa. It just my experiances.

I have never been a cover band musician in 26 years, could never stomach making money from other peoples music. There is a lack of soul, craftmenship, pride, expression, and the will to conquer which just pisses me off to no end. BUT, each to their own. Obviously if you're happy to play in Covers, and own and use a Kemper or any other modeler, then good on ya....but that will not covert me over nor convince me.

1/ Kempers and all modellers are just tools of CONVENIENCE. My ears don't lie, they don't sound, respond, feel like a *good* tube amp. And YES, I ALWAYS hear the difference, every gig. My blessing and my curse. I also hear differences in cable brands, tone pots/no tone pots, valves, speaker cables, different picks, string brands.... like I said, it both a blessing and a curse, never f-n stops. These things I hear often stops me dead in my tracks when all I want to really do is write songs and play gigs etc.

Yes, amp modellers they are light weight (you whimps hahaha), yes they are flexible with all their sounds. But those points don't win me over because of what me ears have heard.

6 times have we played with bands using Kempers, and 6 times have I been SHOCKED and blown away how my Marshall TSL100, I gig with TWO, have not just sound a 'little better' and different, but in actual fact, they have totally blown every kemper out of the water in so many ways, how STAGGERINGLY different, clearer, punchier and better my sound has been from the Kempers. Staggeringly different. And of coarse this makes me super happy, on the inside. I never walk around at gigs gloating verbally about what I hear. I am not American, hahaha. I just concentrate on playing the best show I can, which is a struggle in it self always.

Recently, I was also blown away by this occurrence of difference with the Kreator / Vader gig at the Manning bar. i have never been more angry and disappointed with a gig that I have attended, and wanted my refund.
    Vader, who's music I know nothing of, blew me away, I could understand EVERY RIFF, EVERY NOTE, along with the rest of the bands sound. I was blown away with their music and their performance, all because of the clarity of their TUBE amps rigs, Mesa Duel Rec into Orange Cabs. And I am a Marshall nut, not Boogie. I am not a fan of Vader, but after that show I was.

Now, I AM a fan of Kreator. And their set was super dissapointing. Why? Because all I heard was a 'kick drum and vocal show'. They were using Kempers into the PA. IT SOUNDED LIKE A SWARM OF BEES! Couldn't understand ONE riff, especially with my favourite classics . I was seething with anger.
    When you say that punters don't care what amp and sound you have, you can be dead wrong.
    Clarity, punch of guitar sound in the make or break of whether you grab a new fan, or not, as was the case for me.
    Plus the fact of how many times have I seen amp modeller users fiddle with their sound WHILST playing a gig, is so unprofessional.
    It pisses me off.

I with my rig, a road case that has TWO Marshall TSL100 heads, and a 6-space rack above that has a GLXD14 wireless, Mxr smartgate, mxr 10EQ, Ibanez RC99 chorus, all wire up with Colossal Cable, just roll up to the stage, flip my front and rear lids off, plug my power cable, footswitch and speaker, and I am done, ready. I never have to touch my EQ or volume. I am on and off stage in under 3-4 minutes. No joke. Never have clarity issues, never am too loud or too soft, NEVER sound like a swarm of bees. Just great tight sounding Thrash Metal riffage that everyone aurally understands and comprehends, and so they then can really decide if they like my music/songs of not. Instead of struggling to understand what we're playing.

And the punters hearing the clarity and punch of my riffs, coupled with the rest of the band, my vocals and the quality of my songs, we always win over a few new fans, without fail. Guitar Rig sound clarity and punch, only with a good tube amp.

If people in the crowd CANNOT understand your riffs, they cannot get into your music. Period. And Kempers, in my many experiences, fail to do this important thing.
    So yes, the amp rig you have is CRUCIAL, AND MATTERS TO CROWD.

2/ Kemper do NOT profile Amps. They only profile a 'signal chain', a mear digital snapshot. Putting a digital signal chain 'photo' into another signal chain live is ridiculous. You're loosing harmonics, and struggling to get clarity. Having said that I have heard better results from Line 6 helix and Ax fx than Kempers, but still no cigar compared to a tube amp. Still that swarm of bees sound.

Please, by no means am I also saying that ALL tube amps are clear and tight, no way. But, I'd say about 80% of tube rigs I have heard at gigs, I have been impressed in many ways over the 26 years.

3/ Buying a Modeller is buying into the 'iphone' problem.

Kempers cost, depending on the model, between $3000-$4000AUD. Holy **** balls! Imagine the high end tube amp you could get for that money, in my case thats TWO or Three tube amps. The point being, is that once you buy digital tech, computers etc, that tech becomes 'old' tech in about 6 months. Every time Axefx or Kemper come out with a new model, their users **** bricks, trying sell the old unit cheap then forking out another $4000 for the new model. Crazy. And to add, when computers, which is exactly what they are, go beyond a certain age, there is no longer parts for them, you're stuffed then. In my case, my TSL100 amps are 18years old, and 12 years old, always have replacement parts available, always fixable. And in 18 years, how many gigs and album recording have they served me?
    Where will your modeller be in 18 years?

4/ Tube amps are too big and heavy for fly gigs.
    RUBBISH. I bought recently a Marshall DSL20HR. Problem solved.

5/ 100w tubes cannot be cranked at home to record my album, so a digital amp modeller is better.
    RUBBISH. I purchased both the RIVERA silent sister isocab AND Rivera Rockcrusher Recording attenuator/analogue speaker emulator. Problem SOLVED.

6/ No person cares about you having a unique tone and sound, so just use digital profiles of cool rigs.
    RUBBISH!
    All the greatest bands, Queen, Metallica, Slayer etc have unique recognisable guitar sounds. Part of what makes them great bands with impact. The problem withmodern bands is that they all sound alike, like Siamese twin, because of digital modellers, drum triggers. Just PURE laziness in not trying to build you own tone.

Every tube amp has imperfections that add to the uniqueness of its tone. So, in my case, my two TSL100's sound different from one another, and of course any backline TSL rig that I have played at fly gigs.
    Yes, this is where a Kemper has an advantage, you can take YOUR SOUNDS in a USB to a fly gig and plug into another Kemper and do your show. Right? WRONG. THE SIGNAL CHAIN HAS CHANGED. Look at my experience at the Kreator gig.

7/ And my last point. Digital Modellers will kill tube amps.

Axe fx came out in the 2000's and Kemper has been around since 2010. A whole decade has passed, and still I see heaps of bands STILL using tube rigs, especially probands. Why? Because they sound better still, the modellers are not the answer, especially with all the small tube amps on the market.
    Plus I am exited that BRIMAR WILL START MAKING Valves in the U.K. soon, using modern computer tech for superior valves to those of current production Russian, Slovak and Chinese valves.

At the download festival earlier this year, of the 40 bands on the bill, I saw ONE Kemper in a LOCAL band, and all the international bands, anthrax, slayer, alice in chains, judas priest, behemoth.... All were using tube rigs, and they sounded great, punchy and full of life. The two bands I saw using modellers, sounded lifeless, like listening to a CD through a PA.

MY EARS DO NOT LIE, but please remember that I am not saying I'm right and you're wrong, or telling you what to use, thats up to you. I am merely stating the pros and cons I have seen, heard. My ears don't lie.
    DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

I use a modeler but I'm not butt hurt, I'm way too ADD to read that whole thing.

I get the gist of your post, you like tube amps and think modelers are garbage (I think that sums it up). I'm glad you use what works best for you.

And trust me man - I get and dig tweaking stuff. But I'm not into tweaking for tweaking's sake.

At some point I want to PLAY. More often than not - I want to go right to play.

And what makes you think it only sounds "ok" ???
    I tweak stuff endlessly, whether it’s a tube screamer & Fender amp or a modeler. I run out of options with the TS pretty quickly, then I obsess over finding a new pedal that’s microscopically different than my current one. That doesn’t happen with the modeler.

Despite what my posts sound like, I spend 90% of my guitar handling time playing. If I was jamming with a drummer, I’d pull up one of my presets, probably find it was too scooped to hear myself, bump the mids a little, then just play. Tweaking/playing isn’t an either/or situation.

I said ok sound because that’s what I get from anything with a few minutes of messing around. If I had something more limited than the POD, I’d make it work, but I’m happier with more range and options.