Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Kemper Profiler: Never been more disappointed in a purchase

Default Re: Kemper Profiler: Never been more disappointed in a purchase

Heard a cool Kemper tip from Keith Merrow the other day. He profiles amps at a very low gain setting. He says if you do it this way, when you add gain on the Kemper, it seems to bring out more of the amp’s positive qualities. Said it usually ends up sounding better than the actual amp with the gain up high.

Quote Originally Posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    Heard a cool Kemper tip from Keith Merrow the other day. He profiles amps at a very low gain setting. He says if you do it this way, when you add gain on the Kemper, it seems to bring out more of the amp’s positive qualities. Said it usually ends up sounding better than the actual amp with the gain up high.
    So one if two things is going on here:

- the Kemper doesn't work well profiling the amp at high gain
    - the Kemper works great, and he's profiling amps at high gain that he doesn't like the sound of
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post

- the Kemper works great, and he's profiling amps at high gain that he doesn't like the sound of
    Or, Kemper profiles high gain just fine, but gain being what it is, if you start with a lot, and then add more, it's always just going to descend into complete chaos the more that you continue to add.
    If you profile at a lower initial gain, you have more room to turn the gain up later.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

By that same logic, anyone who uses an overdrive pedal into their amp bought an amp they don't like the sound of.

The Kemper takes a digital picture of your amp/signal chain set a particular way. The controls on the device are not necessarily going to behave exactly the same way they do on your amp. Earlier, I posted that it's not accurate to call it a modeler. Someone said I was splitting hairs. That guy does not understand what each device is doing.

Even if the Kemper sucks at modeling high gain devices, or Keith doesn't like the sound of his amps at high gain, who cares? The guy has an arsenal of tools, and figured out a way to make one of them do something cool that the others don't do.

Ultimate Tone Member

What's a Kemper?

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by 67Mopar View Post
    What's a Kemper?
    Twenty bucks, same as in town

I poop in my KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

The Kemper takes a digital picture of your amp/signal chain set a particular way. The controls on the device are not necessarily going to behave exactly the same way they do on your amp.
    See - this is what I find odd. I'd think you had to model the amp by setting every knob at every level, etc....

A treble knob going from 7-8 might be a different change than 8-9, and maybe 9-10 does almost nothing, and so on. Same thing with gain curves, etc....

My "one pic" of an amp is useless the moment I turn a knob that doesn't work the way the Kemper algorithm says, if I'm all about the 'reproduction.'

That said - maybe it does cool things. - just not exact copy things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

I'm inclined to agree that there's some unknown unknown at play here. Keep pushing tech support to make them do their d@mn job (it sucks you just can't rely on people to do their job and you have to micromanage everything but it's just a fact of life sometimes).

They're not that flat/honest. Big bump in the lower end and swings between +/- 10 dB for the rest of the frequency range.
    I never completely trust the frequency response graphs they include with mics and speakers. They do some "smoothing" f'ery to make them look just a little bit flatter etc. than they really are.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our ReverbNation

Yeah, but that's not even close to flat after the smoothing!

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Yeah, but that's not even close to flat after the smoothing!
    Exactly, who knows what it's really like without specialized equipment?
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our ReverbNation

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    See - this is what I find odd. I'd think you had to model the amp by setting every knob at every level, etc....

A treble knob going from 7-8 might be a different change than 8-9, and maybe 9-10 does almost nothing, and so on. Same thing with gain curves, etc....

My "one pic" of an amp is useless the moment I turn a knob that doesn't work the way the Kemper algorithm says, if I'm all about the 'reproduction.'

This is why when everybody's saying, "Modeling/Profiling" and I'm saying, "They're not synonyms," it's not splitting hairs. They are NOT doing the same thing.

Now, the only person I've heard point out the example I used was Keith Merrow. If you're familiar with him, you know that absolutely nothing he does is focused on recreating classic amp tones of the 60's and 70's. If having every tone possible from a Deluxe, a Plexi, and an AC30 is the goal, getting those amps is probably still the best option.

However, your "maybe it does cool things - just not exact copies" statement is the key here. I'm interested in coming up with new stuff, so I'd rather have cool things than copies.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post

Kemper doesn't model the amp, maybe that's the next step. That will take a lot more processing bandwidth than replicating snapshots.

This is why when everybody's saying, "Modeling/Profiling" and I'm saying, "They're not synonyms," it's not splitting hairs. They are NOT doing the same thing.

Now, the only person I've heard point out the example I used was Keith Merrow. If you're familiar with him, you know that absolutely nothing he does is focused on recreating classic amp tones of the 60's and 70's. If having every tone possible from a Deluxe, a Plexi, and an AC30 is the goal, getting those amps is probably still the best option.

However, your "maybe it does cool things - just not exact copies" statement is the key here. I'm interested in coming up with new stuff, so I'd rather have cool things than copies.
    I always thought the whole point of Kemper was that you get to "freeze" the sound you have. When there's all these countless factors affecting tone, Kemper is the closest you can get to maintain "that exact tone".
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

As a scholar I have, in fact, looked a bit into the possibilities of using the Kemper as a scholarly tool, but as far as I can tell, reproductions do not seem to be accurate enough to make it worthwhile.
    Last edited by Sirion; 08-17-2019 at 01:50 AM.

That's why I really love my Digitech Chorus Factory. It starts with a foundational chorus tone, but then adds other stuff to it. Could you model an "exact" chorus and setting? Yeah, I suppose with some major tweaking.

Can I get get awesome chorus? All damn day easily.

That's why I really love my Digitech Chorus Factory. It starts with a foundational chorus tone, but then adds other stuff to it. Could you model an "exact" chorus and setting? Yeah, I suppose with some major tweaking.

Can I get get awesome chorus? All damn day easily.

I like the chorus of comments about the chorus factory. Very meta.