Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Distortion pedal bonanza...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3

    Default Distortion pedal bonanza...

    Hi everyone, I recently got the chance to get my hands on a dozen distortion pedals simultaneously! It was a very fun shootout (and a great photo came out of it):



    Full list of pedals tested: Pro Co RAT2. Boss DS-1, MXR Super Badass Distortion, Fender Pugilist, TC Dark Matter, KHDK Dark Blood, Keeley Filaments, Wampler Dracarys, Walrus Iron Horse V2, EQD Acapulco Gold, JHS Angry Charlie V3, and Big Ear Woodcutter.

    The results are compiled in a guide, I'll add the link if there's any interest (don't wanna violate any forum rules). Let me know if I can help answer any pedal vs. pedal questions while the shootout is fresh in my head!

  2. #2
    LoveMachineologist jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    albany, ny
    Age
    42
    Posts
    29,660

    Default Re: Distortion pedal bonanza...

    looks like a fun pile!

  3. #3
    Super Toneologist Hsb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,153

    Default Re: Distortion pedal bonanza...

    Dracarys is on my list of pedals to own.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2550
    Jackson Soloist 7 string

  4. #4
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    In a Studio with your Mom
    Posts
    3,975

    Default Re: Distortion pedal bonanza...

    The KHDK is the only one in that pile I didn't like. everything else is rockin' for me.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

  5. #5
    Ultimate Tone Slacker Dave Locher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.
    Posts
    1,645

    Default Re: Distortion pedal bonanza...

    Link! Link!

  6. #6
    I poop in my KISS diapers while I cry that they are mean to me Aceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Age
    52
    Posts
    34,682

    Default Re: Distortion pedal bonanza...

    Yeah man!!!!! Got's to know!!!!!!!!

    How were you testing? Straight in to clean or what? What style music/playing?

    I know some (Rat, DS1, Dark Matter) well, others not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Distortion pedal bonanza...

    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    Yeah man!!!!! Got's to know!!!!!!!!

    How were you testing? Straight in to clean or what? What style music/playing?

    I know some (Rat, DS1, Dark Matter) well, others not so much.
    Great questions

    Ok, so for those asking for the link: best distortion pedal shootout

    RAT is my personal fav of the bunch. I know maybe that's kind of a boring answer, but to me it just can't be imitated! It's so unique and good. My co-tester is split between a DS-1 as his mainstream choice, and the JHS Angry Charlie.

    Regarding testing, there's a link in the actual article to the testing methodology (look where it says "review process here"). We do go straight into clean, but also several other ways. Main amps are a Blues Junior, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Fender Bassbreaker, Orange solid state amp, Yamaha solid state amp, and a VOX headphone amp. Signal chain matters a lot, so we try a bit of everything before writing our impressions!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Distortion pedal bonanza...

    Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    The KHDK is the only one in that pile I didn't like. everything else is rockin' for me.
    Awesome. The one that felt lacking to me was the TC Dark Matter. More of an overdrive than a distortion, for my taste. It just lacks gain compared to the rest of the bunch.

  9. #9
    Ultimate Tone Slacker Dave Locher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.
    Posts
    1,645

    Default Re: Distortion pedal bonanza...

    Good read. Thanks.
    Just realized I have been playing since 1983 and have never tried a DS-1! In my defense, I haven't used any distortion pedals since probably 1987 or so, but still...

  10. #10
    Tone Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    142

    Default Re: Distortion pedal bonanza...


  11. #11
    PenultimateTone Member Demanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Phoenix area.
    Age
    52
    Posts
    14,565

    Default Re: Distortion pedal bonanza...

    What?
    No MT-2?!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1554948187671.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	100111

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Distortion pedal bonanza...

    Wow, nice. Check my old school collection.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	100403

  13. #13
    Sock Market Trader GuitarStv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    14,631

    Default Re: Distortion pedal bonanza...

    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic View Post
    What?
    No MT-2?!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1554948187671.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	100111
    lol


    I love the fact that you're running a compressor into the MT-2. Y'know. Because the MT-2 is soooo dynamic and uncompressed. Bahahahahahah!
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

  14. #14
    PenultimateTone Member Demanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Phoenix area.
    Age
    52
    Posts
    14,565

    Default Re: Distortion pedal bonanza...

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    lol


    I love the fact that you're running a compressor into the MT-2. Y'know. Because the MT-2 is soooo dynamic and uncompressed. Bahahahahahah!
    Yes, well, I'm the type of person who puts siracha on my siracha too.

    Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Distortion pedal bonanza...

    Quote Originally Posted by equipboard View Post
    Hi everyone, I recently got the chance to get my hands on a dozen distortion pedals simultaneously! It was a very fun shootout (and a great photo came out of it):



    Full list of pedals tested: Pro Co RAT2. Boss DS-1, MXR Super Badass Distortion, Fender Pugilist, TC Dark Matter, KHDK Dark Blood, Keeley Filaments, Wampler Dracarys, Walrus Iron Horse V2, EQD Acapulco Gold, JHS Angry Charlie V3, and Big Ear Woodcutter.

    The results are compiled in a guide, I'll add the link if there's any interest (don't wanna violate any forum rules). Let me know if I can help answer any pedal vs. pedal questions while the shootout is fresh in my head!
    Oh, I'm dreaming about such stuff.

  16. #16
    Underglazed Hair Metalologist 80's_Metal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    AZ
    Age
    18
    Posts
    9,396

    Default Re: Distortion pedal bonanza...

    Dracarys flat rips!

  17. #17
    Super Toneologist Hsb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,153

    Default Re: Distortion pedal bonanza...

    Quote Originally Posted by 80's_Metal View Post
    Dracarys flat rips!
    I have one on my board now, when I want to go crazy distorted, Ill fire it up.Though I still prefer using the Tumnus as an overdrive driving my amp's dirty channel.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2550
    Jackson Soloist 7 string

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •