Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite OD pedals to kick a medium-gain amp into high-gain?

Tone Member

Default Re: Your favorite OD pedals to kick a medium-gain amp into high-gain?

Quote Originally Posted by chadd View Post
    Xotic RC booster or an OCD would be the first two that I looked into. Someone posted about the Seafoam Pedals Lighthouse fairly recently and that one has me intrigued as well
    I thought the OCD was a low gain distortion pedal? Maybe I didnt use it right?

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Go with the home team's 805 Overdrive. The active 3 band EQ is so much better than passive tone knobs of other pedals.
    What about that pickup booster? I just bid on one because of you LOL

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by JesusCrisp View Post
    How does the Guv'nor stack up to the other suggestions or something I know like the SD-1 or a TS clone? Could definitely build one.
    May end up building together at least 2 OD pedals anyway (something transparent/boost and something more TS-like) and see what I like better. I originally hoped that I could use the BE-OD clone for boosting as well, but it sounds really ugly for that purpose.

Regarding EQ, I found a 5-band one that works with normal pots, or I could just get something cheap/used for now. Tried a Boss graphic EQ with my Egnater back in the day. TBH I found myself messing around quite a lot with the settings without finding anything I really liked (might have been the amp's fault) and ended up returning the EQ.
    Tubescreamer into Guvner is Gary Moore, frickin rippin

Quote Originally Posted by OLDERBUDWISER View Post
    The OCD can get pretty dirty.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by EC Strat View Post
    Yes - I have a Tumnus Deluxe (Klon clone) and it can goose the front end / preamp really well.
    It has a wide range of headroom on the volume pot and can really drive your amp. Has 3 band EQ and all 3 pots are very responsive and has a Hot switch to add a bit of gain / boost Works great as a light to med gain OD pedal as well - which is how I use it. It gives a great Fender type of OD tone when you use it this way
    I have that Tumnus Deluxe and the Saucy Box, for me the Saucy still beats everything I have tried. Its the Klone circuit, never gets "transparent" whatever that is, who cares? Jorge built some magic into that pedal, Devin Townsend's choice too. Only thing its big if you have a big board?

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    Ive got one of his too.
    As a matter of fact, you got me in touch with him.
    Those pedals look filthy awesome! Guy lives in my State too

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    The OCD can get pretty dirty.
    I could see that as a "stacking pedal", not so much a clean fata@@ boost into a filthy amp, too much gain into gain for me

What about that pickup booster? I just bid on one because of you LOL
    That works, too! But not quite the same way as a TS-based pedal.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Dave Locher's Avatar
    Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

Those pedals look filthy awesome! Guy lives in my State too
    I'm telling you, the guy builds pedals that sound great for cheap. Nice guy too, at least by email.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    That works, too! But not quite the same way as a TS-based pedal.
    I have an Elite Strat I dont play, I love the singles for chime but never liked the SRV icepick tones, no disrespect to him, he was an awesome player. I like the way that booster "fattens" up the sounds, may even be good for lower output buckers? Few days I will know LOL

Yeah, the booster is great with humbuckers, too. You don't have to use the resonance switch if you don't want to.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

I just bought a Boss DS-1 (quite cheap new !) last week and it does it.

Otherwise as someone said the GT-OD (MXR green box) does it well. It is like a TS going to 11 (But I prefer the TS808).
    Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Sorry, speaking of faves I should have mentioned the classic Coloursound Powerboost (hard to find). It has plenty of gain. I mean loud volume to boost your tubes.
    Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Ultimate Tone Member

Just about any good od/distortion pedal with BMT tone controls should do the trick. Grab one in the flavor you like an go for it!

I went from a tube screamer and rat based sound to a bogner blue/red base.

They work differently as boost pedals thru a gain channel, and as alternate channels thru the amp clean channel.

I still use the rat and TS, just not as much since the bogner pedals sound, and feel so much better.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

I was answering the question posed. Those are the types of pedals that I would use to achieve his goal. I would never use a high gain pedal to boost and tighten up an amp.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

I could see that as a "stacking pedal", not so much a clean fata@@ boost into a filthy amp, too much gain into gain for me
    I've used it with a clean boost in front, paired with another OD and to goose a driven channel. I used radically different setups in every case. It's not my favorite drive pedal for any one thing but it's remarkably useful in a number of roles
    Last edited by chadd; 08-02-2019 at 01:43 PM.

The old HM-2 on 0-gain makes a great booster for my recto's vintage gain channels.

I don't remember if I answered this thread...
    for my Randall RD45 on the high gain channel, the boost button does a nice job of tightening it up. Plus adds some girth. I also use a T-rex Alberta, which is some sort of Tubescreamer clone, I don't recall which one. But it tightens and adds upper mids and takes out a bit of bass. Helps you stand out in the mix but then you need a bassist more. I also tried my favorite T-Rex luxury drive but it flubs out at the even the lowest setting on the dial. Its good for the clean channel though. I'm looking for other flavors of boost. So far my amp gets up to like 90's style high gain but not modern high gain unless I'm using my pointy guitars.
    Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
    http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Ultimate Tone Member

That's easy...

Name:  IMG_2217.JPG
Views: 80
Size:  119.8 KB

Ultimate Tone Member

If you're into this distortion voicing, the Crowther Hot Cake is the one to get. I'd almost be willing to bet that Ed uses one. Almost...

You'll need A VOX AC15 + Marshall plexi (stereo), Crowther Hot Cake, Rockman Stereo Chorus, Rockman Stereo Echo, along with some plate reverb.

Last edited by 67Mopar; 08-10-2019 at 09:43 AM.