Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Your favorite OD pedals to kick a medium-gain amp into high-gain?

Default Re: Your favorite OD pedals to kick a medium-gain amp into high-gain?

Name:  IMG_20190914_194113_500.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  86.0 KB

So I present: the Guvernator. Kit by musikding.de, took a bit long until it arrived due to the company being on vacation in the meantime.

Anyway, it's assembled and ready to rock. Socketed the spots for the clipping diodes as the original came with a pair of LEDs and the kit with four 1N4148 diodes. Ordered some small LEDs as well to play around. 2 LEDs, 4 LEDs, 4 diodes, mixing LEDs and diodes, flipping around the orientations. Decided on 4 LEDs with the orientation as laid out on the PCB. The diodes sounded a bit harsher and less organic than the LEDs and 4 LEDs gave me a thicker sound than 2.

Anyway, as my chances to ever play an original MK1 Guv'nor, I'll give my impressions for the pedal as is and in comparison to pedals I know.

As a standalone distortion into the clean channel it's passable. Not the worst I heard but my DIY BE-OD definitely beats this one for mid-gain sounds. The EQ section is functional but I feel it's not all that powerful. You're able to make small adjustments, but in the end, it sounds as it sounds for the most part.

As a boost it doesn't have the ridiculous output as my Hardwire CM-2 had and I do need to turn the gain up to about 10 o'clock with the volume dimed for a noticable gain boost. But then it works for exactly what I was asking for: a boost/extra gain pedal that gives me a bit more hair and grit and saturation without dramatically altering my tone. It's probably not for the djent folks who want uber-tight bottom end, or the SRV fans or even the guys who are after an amazing standalone dirt pedal. But put it over a crunchy amp and the Guv'nor will get it into modded Marshall territory easily.

... definitely not my last dirt pedal build though.

For this I use an Ibanez TS 808 RE or a MXR GT-OD for a change. Both green.
    Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Ultimate Tone Slacker Dave Locher's Avatar
    Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

Cool build!
    And I concur with everything you say about the pedal's sound.
    I love my Gov clone for exactly the same use with the same setting (vol maxed, gain just enough to boost volume) except I run mine with the clipping diodes out of the circuit. But at that low gain setting switching to LED clipping makes no noticeable difference.

I will say, though, the "get a GT-OD" people are also right. It works really well in this application and gives a slightly different sound/feel/flavor. I may combine mine into one dual pedal so I can have both options but still only use "one pedal."

Well thanks!

When playing around with the diodes I just found the LEDs to add some more beef and thickness to the tone. Minor difference? Yes. But I already had the LEDs lying around for the build anyway. Also the circuit of the kit had 4 diodes, I'm running 4 LEDs now, the original circuit had 2 LEDs. Found some sources claiming running anything above 2 LEDs makes no sense anyway so overall maybe it's placebo effects I'm hearing.

As far as I understand the GT OD is most likely a modded ZW44 which in turn is a modded SD-1 circuit so IDK. Will build more dirt pedals for sure, but for now I'm happy with the Guvnor.

Mojo's Minions

I have a big hard on for this guy:

but WAY overkill for 90% of things to do with an overdrive.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    I have a big hard on for this guy:

but WAY overkill for 90% of things to do with an overdrive.
    Six-fiddy is waaaay outta my budget.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by shupe13 View Post
    Six-fiddy is waaaay outta my budget.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk
    The biggest chubs are always made from the thing you cant have
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard