Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite OD pedals to kick a medium-gain amp into high-gain?

Default Your favorite OD pedals to kick a medium-gain amp into high-gain?

So, I'm in the process of buying a Laboga Caiman amp.

Sound- and gain-wise it's about JCM800-ish territory on the distortion channel, maybe a tad more modern and less pokey.
    I'm playing pretty high output pickups already (Dimarzio Super Distortions, AT-1, Duncan Alternative 8) and have some DIY fuzz/OD pedals.
    However, the OD pedals I have (EQD Acapulco Gold and Friedman BE-OD clones) work beautifully as standalone drive pedals, not as a boost for the lead channel.

What I'm looking for is an OD pedal that just pushes the front end of the amp a little into high gain and tightens it up a notch, without any too huge tonal changes (mid spikes, harsh cuts to the low-end).
    Can't really go the store with the amp and try pedals with it. Previously owned a Boss SD-1 and Hardwire CM-2 with an Egnater Rebel 30 and Marshall SL-X respectively. They did the job and improved the attack and response as I wanted, but seemed to but a focus on the midrange (mid spike?) that made the amp feel a bit artificial and boxy in tone.

Looking for something that gives the amp a bit more grit, bark, balls, tightness, whatever without greatly affecting the mids or drastically cutting treble/bass frequencies. EQ controls other than a tone knob would be nice but not necessary if the base tone is good. Even more of a plus if I can use it with the clean channel as well. Anything that comes as DIY kit is also appreciated, really like building together pedals and the money saved is a great plus.

Thanks!

Default Re: Your favorite OD pedals to kick a medium-gain amp into high-gain?

Check out the Friedman Buxom Boost.
    Not really an OD pedal per se, but worth a look anyway.
    Im using one with my Splawn Quickrod and love it.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Xotic RC booster or an OCD would be the first two that I looked into. Someone posted about the Seafoam Pedals Lighthouse fairly recently and that one has me intrigued as well

Boss Blues Driver.

Doesn't have the SD1 midboost and it has a very transparent high-end that works great for clear high gain tones.

I used mine to take my Tweaker 15 from a Plexi-esque crunch straight into early Metallica and Mastodon.

It does cut a hint of bass, but since you're handy with DIY work, there's one resistor you can remove that adds all that bass back.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2P neck + Custom bridge
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

A MXR ZW-44. Zakk uses its pedal to kick its JCM800. I have a GT-OD in my board that is basically a ZW-44. The GT-Od has a switch in the inside. Flipping the switch and the pedal turns immediately in a ZW-44
    Last edited by EmiAba; 07-21-2019 at 08:30 AM.

I poop in my KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

I'm straight up classic old skool cliche:

Rat
    DS-1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Boss OD-3. You cannot go wrong.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!
    Buxom boost looks interesting, similar tone controls as the BE-OD, which is great for tweakability!

Couple of questions:
    Anyone got experience with using a Klon (or more likely a clone thereof, EHX Soulfood) for this kind of thing?
    Also, Xotic RC Booster being mentioned, how much is the difference between that and the BB Preamp?
    How does boosting with a Rat compare to let's say a Tubescreamer?

MXR micro amp. I use a clone into my pevey VTM when I want to push it harder.

It's an easy build with a low parts count. https://guitarpcb.com/product/emexcz...modders-dream/

Go with the home team's 805 Overdrive. The active 3 band EQ is so much better than passive tone knobs of other pedals.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by JesusCrisp View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions so far!
    Buxom boost looks interesting, similar tone controls as the BE-OD, which is great for tweakability!

Couple of questions:
    Anyone got experience with using a Klon (or more likely a clone thereof, EHX Soulfood) for this kind of thing?
    Also, Xotic RC Booster being mentioned, how much is the difference between that and the BB Preamp?
    How does boosting with a Rat compare to let's say a Tubescreamer?
    In my experience the Soul Food warms up the signal a bit too much. It does something to the clean boost that doesn't work as good as the Blues Driver.

I tried them side by side and I preferred the SF with lots of gain as a lead boost, and the BD set to smash the preamp with low gain.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2P neck + Custom bridge
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Go with the home team's 805 Overdrive. The active 3 band EQ is so much better than passive tone knobs of other pedals.
    While I don't disagree with the idea of having three knobs is an improvement, my understanding is that the AC and RC have an active Baxandall EQ on op of the TS derived circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    My band picked up a gig playing some different material than we normally play due to the venue being a family oriented campground. At rehearsal I used the 805 for most of the night. It sounded glorious. And more importantly it felt glorious.

The terms "medium-gain" and "high-gain" are subjective, but...

Catalinbread Naga Viper for the Rangemaster experience with that excellent variable hi-pass circuitry (cuts the low-end flub if you want).
    MXR 6-Band
    Lefty Lounge Lizard's Guitars & Amps Extravaganza

Fastest ears in the West

Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    I thought it sounded great, until I heard something that sounded good.
    Guitaramped.com

Boss SD-1

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

A graphic e.q. pedal will let you create a very well tailored, and frequency-adjustable, boost (among many other things you can do with the pedal).

The foot switchable graphic e.q. on my Mesa Express Plus is invaluable. It's like having an extra channel for the amp, and eliminates a pedal off the board.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 07-21-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Mxr 6 band into my Jubilee with the gain at 5 and Rhythm clip engaged, its a monster, add my Tumnus into that mix, screamer.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2550
    Guild D4 acoustic

A Decibel 11 Dirt Clod will get you there easily and is feature full

I use a Centaur Klone into what is essentially a JCM 800, and it does EXACTLY what you described in your second post. It just adds more of the amp’s natural breakup, just like everyone says it does. I like it much better than my other Tubescreamer-type overdrives.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Dave Locher's Avatar
    Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

My vote: Guv'nor clone.
    You can get diy kits or have FrankTheAnvilFX (on Etsy) build you one for the same price as a kit. I really like mine. A LOT.
    Previously I used a graphic eq pedal for years. Probably can't diy one (?) but they do work well as a boost.