Thread: Reversing neck humbucker...

Default Reversing neck humbucker...

Iím considering rewiring my guitar for humcancelling inner/outer coils for its two humbuckers. Most people just flip the magnet on one of them to do so but Iím thinking I can just do the petrucci way and reverse the neck pickup and wiring. Iím not worried about the pole cosmetics but I am concerned about how the sound will be on the neck pickup alone. I have a sentient in the neck and Iím curious if there is much difference between the slug and screw coils being reversed and how it might sound when inner and outer coils are used with the neck and bridge humbuckers.

Tone Member

Default Re: Reversing neck humbucker...

That will work fine. The pole orientation and combos will change things up a little but it shouldn't cause you to dislike it.

Others may set me straight, but I read what youíre describing as putting the pickups out of phase with each other - thatís not the same as hum cancelling. What youíll get is a nasal, thin tone (Peter Greenís Les Paul is oft referenced here) when youíre in the blend position - itís usable, but not for everyone (I happen to use it a lot on my Les Paul).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VinceT View Post
    Others may set me straight, but I read what you’re describing as putting the pickups out of phase with each other - that’s not the same as hum cancelling. What you’ll get is a nasal, thin tone (Peter Green’s Les Paul is oft referenced here) when you’re in the blend position - it’s usable, but not for everyone (I happen to use it a lot on my Les Paul).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    What op wants won’t do that; the pickups need to be electrically out of phase to get the ‘oop sound,’ meaning you’d need to rewire (flip ground and hot) rather than reposition the magnets relative to each other physically.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say ďYour guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. ď...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Mojo's Minions

When you select a humcancelling option like one slug and one screw, the way you have to do that with the typical split setup will only work by reversing the wires on one pickup so it splits to the screw coil rather than the default slug coil.....and then flipping the magnet to get everything back in phase.
    By moving the pickup 180 degrees you do nothing to get the phase sorted out......however if the goal is merely to make the slug coil read the same sort of tone that the screw coil would normally then this would work. However in this case you'd still be splitting both to the slug coil and would lose the hum cancelling effect.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexR View Post
    When you select a humcancelling option like one slug and one screw, the way you have to do that with the typical split setup will only work by reversing the wires on one pickup so it splits to the screw coil rather than the default slug coil.....and then flipping the magnet to get everything back in phase.
    By moving the pickup 180 degrees you do nothing to get the phase sorted out......however if the goal is merely to make the slug coil read the same sort of tone that the screw coil would normally then this would work. However in this case you'd still be splitting both to the slug coil and would lose the hum cancelling effect.
    I have my Explorer wired to split the neck pickup to the screw coil and the bridge pickup to the slug coil. They're hum-canceling in the middle position with both split; no magnet flipping necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

So.... I think thereís a little misunderstanding by all of us here.

I think he wants:

Split to ďinnersĒ and be in phase and hum cancelling and split to ďoutersĒ and be hum cancelling.

Usually you split to the slugs or coils, then to achieve hum cancelling on Duncans you flip one magnet, then flip the phase electrically. Rather than flipping the phase and magnet I think we wants to split to {Neck:Slug & Bridge:Screw} and {Neck:Screw & Bridge:Slug} but simulate inner/outer by rotating the neck pickup.

This will work, but my understanding is that to get the most ďdifferenceĒ between inner and outer you want screws or slugs since they sound different.

I might be the one with a major misunderstanding.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by PFDarkside View Post

I think he wants to split to {Neck:Slug & Bridge:Screw} and {Neck:Screw & Bridge:Slug} but simulate inner/outer by rotating the neck pickup.

Isn't that the ArtieToo 'coil swap mod'? A virtual HB created by pairing inner and outer coils. It's a good mod, instead of the bright, thin sound of coil split, the 'coil swap mod' gives a warmer, fuller hum-free tone at a reduced output (due to the separation of the coils). Very usable, nice when you want to back off the output a little.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Quote Originally Posted by blueman335 View Post
    Isn't that the ArtieToo 'coil swap mod'? A virtual HB created by pairing inner and outer coils. It's a good mod, instead of the bright, thin sound of coil split, the 'coil swap mod' gives a warmer, fuller hum-free tone at a reduced output (due to the separation of the coils). Very usable, nice when you want to back off the output a little.
    This is parallel, his is series.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by PFDarkside View Post
    This is parallel, his is series.
    The OP didn't say he wants them in series. Parallel IS hum cancelling too. Putting one neck coil and one bridge coil in series in the middle switch position creates other switching needs (parallel is the norm for the middle switch position).
    (Or am I missing something?)
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    The OP didn't say he wants them in series. Parallel IS hum cancelling too. Putting one neck coil and one bridge coil in series in the middle switch position creates other switching needs (parallel is the norm for the middle switch position).
    (Or am I missing something?)
    Correct, everything I’ve understood is parallel. Artie’s mod is the series version (which is cool, but needs additional switching).
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Oh I get it. I misunderstood what you were saying.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Tone Member

And the op is gone lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtomecha View Post
    Iím considering rewiring my guitar for humcancelling inner/outer coils for its two humbuckers. Most people just flip the magnet on one of them to do so but Iím thinking I can just do the petrucci way and reverse the neck pickup and wiring. Iím not worried about the pole cosmetics but I am concerned about how the sound will be on the neck pickup alone. I have a sentient in the neck and Iím curious if there is much difference between the slug and screw coils being reversed and how it might sound when inner and outer coils are used with the neck and bridge humbuckers.
    Following; i plan to do the same kind of wiring config and am also wondering how different it will sound vs the traditional practice of flipping the neck pickup's magnet and keeping its screw coil facing the neck.

I’m just going to flip the magnet. It seems a pain to do so but it’ll be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtomecha View Post
    I’m just going to flip the magnet. It seems a pain to do so but it’ll be worth it.
    If you do run into a phase issue you may need to think another level deeper. I just did an HH with a 5-way and ran into a phase cancellation. Here is the thread where I sorted it out.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/...blem-need-help

Hopefully yours will be much simpler.

I use this, and flipped a magnet to do it. I wrote a blog about it, too.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.