Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The one and only fuzz thread

Default Re: The one and only fuzz thread

The problem I have with fuzzfaces is that they're just a little too picky for me. They have to be first in line. They seem to sound best if they're on all the time and you're just using your volume to control them. They don't play nicely with other pedals in unpredictable ways. Germanium ones are even picky about the damned room temperature. When you get 'em set up exactly right they're great though.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Or an Octavia.

Check out the home team's La Super Rica:

Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

I built a tonebender mkII that sounds great. Tweaked it a bit but the base circuit sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by Chistopher View Post
    There are dozens upon dozens of pedals on the market that are nothing more than some fella tweaking his Big Muff until it sounded *just right.

I suggest you go and do the same. It's a simple circuit that's very tweakable and there's a lot of resources out there on the web to help you decide what you want to do with yours.
    I'm not a fan of the Big Muff but to its credit, it's definitely one of the more complicated fuzz circuits. It's probably 4-5x as many parts as a fuzz face. You're right that people can and should build these themselves if they're interested in that, but I'm just putting it out there that there's an easier starting point for tweaking fuzzes.

From a circuits standpoint, I think the Big Muff tone circuit is interesting. In practice I don't find it useful though - you can never dial out that midrange scoop. It's a big part of what makes a muff sound like a muff, but it's very limiting.

Edit: just realized you maybe meant modding a pedal, not necessarily building from scratch. Yeah that's totally realistic for even a beginner at electronics.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post

Where has this pedal been all my life? It talks to my "bees in a can" tone that everyone hates.

Quote Originally Posted by Securb View Post
    Where has this pedal been all my life? It talks to my "bees in a can" tone that everyone hates.
    What's wrong with "bees in a can"? Especially killer bees from Skull Island.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Demanic View Post
    What's wrong with "bees in a can"? Especially killer bees from Skull Island.
    Nothing! I play for my enjoyment and the enjoyment of the folks that are benevolent enough to support my efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Securb View Post
    Nothing! I play for my enjoyment and the enjoyment of the folks that are benevolent enough to support my efforts.
    I'm thinking we'd enjoy playing together.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Everything bad comes from Skull Island.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post

I like this one, never tried it, never even heard of it.

Thanks Mincer
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

What ??? I have to choose between my JHS FuzzFace and my Big Muff Triangle Re ???
    Oh I failed already !
    Bye bye...

You may also choose a kind of Tone Bender.
    Last edited by Francois; 07-30-2019 at 03:40 PM.
    Smartphone Zombies won't shred

I have not tried but there is Pharao Fuzz with a Silicon / Germanium toggle switch.
    There is a demo by Andy GPS.

La Rica circuit is FF based ?
    Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    I like this one, never tried it, never even heard of it.

Thanks Mincer
    +1

Great idea on the super adjustable mid control.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Name:  20190314_101301.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  122.7 KB

Green switch has Voodoo Octave (foxx tone machine clone), and Red switch the Big Muff.

Technically it is now one pedal
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

I'm making this comment on the understanding that "fuzz" is different than distortion/OD. My fav is my EarthQuaker Devices Dream Crusher. If "sweet" and "fuzz" can be used in the same sentence, this is it. It's a true germanium transistor fuzz, complete with a bias set pot. I haven't messed with the bias because it was good-to-go right out of the box. It's fuzz, but no angry bee's syndrome. Roll your guitars' tone control back and you have classic "woman tone." I love it.

Honorable mention goes to the BBE Windowpane. There's some overlap here, but the BBE fuzz knob continues on after the Dream Crusher max's out. Just to remind myself, I fed one into the other. Twin son's of different mothers. I believe this is my "keeper" fuzz combo.

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    I'm making this comment on the understanding that "fuzz" is different than distortion/OD. My fav is my EarthQuaker Devices Dream Crusher. If "sweet" and "fuzz" can be used in the same sentence, this is it. It's a true germanium transistor fuzz, complete with a bias set pot. I haven't messed with the bias because it was good-to-go right out of the box. It's fuzz, but no angry bee's syndrome. Roll your guitars' tone control back and you have classic "woman tone." I love it.

Honorable mention goes to the BBE Windowpane. There's some overlap here, but the BBE fuzz knob continues on after the Dream Crusher max's out. Just to remind myself, I fed one into the other. Twin son's of different mothers. I believe this is my "keeper" fuzz combo.
    Also mention that the Ratt is probably the original pedal (and probably still the best) at covering some of all 3 (Distortion, OD, and Fuzz) in one pedal because of it's original and perhaps unintended circuit design . -sure there are pedals that have combined OD, Fuzz, and Distortion circuits into one pedal, but not one circuit like the Ratt that does them all without discrete purposeful circuits and so simply. -or at least I can't think of one.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

I had an original Rat a long time ago, and then got rid of it for some reason. I need to snag another. Or, is there a good Rat clone?

Mojo's Minions

I had an original Rat a long time ago, and then got rid of it for some reason. I need to snag another. Or, is there a good Rat clone?
    There's several good ones I hear -Of course real ones are easy to get too.

This one gets great reviews

Loads out there, Artie. JAM pedals The Rattler sounds really good on That Pedal Show. I have a BYOC L’il Mouse and it does everything I need in the Rat department

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I'll check 'em out.