Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Powerstage 170 and Line 6 HX stomp

Default Powerstage 170 and Line 6 HX stomp

I've recently purchased a powerstage 170 and I'm playing the HXStomp through this into a Blackstar 2x12 cabinet. I'm not sure how i should be using the HX Stomp with the powerstage in terms of selecting amp models. Should I be selecting a preamp and power amp (i.e. an 'amp') in my patches on the HX Stomp or should I just be selecting a preamp?

Default Re: Powerstage 170 and Line 6 HX stomp

If the powerstage is relatively transparent, you should use the regular amp models, but not the amp+cab blocks, because you have a cab.

If it's not transparent or just doesn't sound right stacking an emulated power amp (in the Helix stomp) with your physical power amp, try turning down the master in the Helix amp block so you get less coloration from the power amp section. But you probably won't need to do that.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

I poop in my KISS diapers while I cry that they are mean to me Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Powerstage have an effect return?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Try a simple patch that can flip between amp vs pre-amp with a snapshot, in a reasonably basic chain. There isn't one right way. Allan Holdsworth used to use a power soak on an amp, then run the line out from that into another guitar power amp. But then, he was looking for extra power amp compression...

But definitely be sure you aren't using amp+cab blocks (or a cab or IR block after the amp), that usually just sounds terribly muffled going into a guitar cabinet. I've run into bad Helix patches on Line 6 Customtone that intended to have switchable cabinets and instead just stacked them, same awful result.

Aceman's point about using effects return if you are using modellers or other preamps is generally good advice, but the Powerstage lacks an effects loop.

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezrocks View Post
    If the powerstage is relatively transparent, you should use the regular amp models, but not the amp+cab blocks, because you have a cab.

If it's not transparent or just doesn't sound right stacking an emulated power amp (in the Helix stomp) with your physical power amp, try turning down the master in the Helix amp block so you get less coloration from the power amp section. But you probably won't need to do that.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    Thanks very much for your input, I'll try that.

Great idea to switch between snapshots! I'll give that a go. I'm definitely not using any cab blocks by the way.

Use a pre & power amp...it is going through a real cab, and the PS 170 just provides the power.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Use a pre & power amp...it is going through a real cab, and the PS 170 just provides the power.
    Wouldn't that be two power amp sounds? If the power stage is super clean I guess the one from the HT would be there to add some grit.
    Who took my guitar?

Quote Originally Posted by IMENATOR View Post
    Wouldn't that be two power amp sounds? If the power stage is super clean I guess the one from the HT would be there to add some grit.
    No, the PS170 would make the power amp model just louder. It doesn't model the tone of a specific power amp, it is just clean power. The HX Stop models the tone of a power amp, but not the power.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.