Thread: SAFE to plug into JUST the effects return of a tube amp (nothing plugged into Send)

Default SAFE to plug into JUST the effects return of a tube amp (nothing plugged into Send)

Hi all.

I have an all-tube combo (Peavey Bravo 112) and I'm using a digital modeler (Boss GT-10), plugged into its Effects Return;
    thereby bypassing the amp's preamp circuit (Nothing plugged into the front input). And nothing is plugged into the Effects Send either.

Won't this have damaging, long-term results?

Since I broke the signal path from preamp to power amp, I'm imagining that the preamp tubes are working but their output is not seeing a load. Could this lead to faster tube burnout, etc?

I've been doing this with solid state amps with no noticeable negative effect, but tube amps might behave differently.

Thanks in advance!

Raf

Default Re: SAFE to plug into JUST the effects return of a tube amp (nothing plugged into Sen

Ola Englund did it with a Boss Metal Zone. Guess his amp still works but no clue if it’s ‘correct’ or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Default Re: SAFE to plug into JUST the effects return of a tube amp (nothing plugged into Sen

It’s fine. The only rule is always have a load (speaker, load box, etc.) connected to the speaker output.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Mojo's Minions

You are good!!!
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard